Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moped Licence

Options
  • 22-10-2007 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,
    Recently been looking at getting a moped to help beat the traffic on the commute. I'm confused as i had thought i could drive a moped under 50cc with my full car driving licence. Apparently there was a change last october and that's no longer the case?
    I got my full licence in november 2006 so do i have to do the theory test to be able to use a moped? Or is there anyway to add it to my current category B licence without the hassle of another theory test? If i do the theory test would that mean I'd have two driving licences, a provisional for the bike and a full for the car, or are they merged somehow?
    Sorry if thats hard to follow, its late and I'm tired!!
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

AFAIK you are correct - your car licence also entitles you to an M licence - moped - up to 50cc.

I'm not aware of any changest to that law.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They changed it last year all right. And you'll have to do a new theory test as they have seperated cars and bikes now also.
    http://www.transport.ie/roads/licensing/faqs/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1838
    Q.I have a full B (car) licence. Does this entitle me to drive a motorcycle?

A. The holder of a category B licence granted prior to 21 October, 2006 is entitled to drive a moped up to 50cc with a maximum design speed of 45 km/hour. All category B licences granted, for the first time, on or after 21 October, 2006 do not hold this entitlement. Such licence holders wishing to drive a category M vehicle would have to obtain a provisional licence in category M and successfully undergo the practical driving test in order to obtain a full licence in this category.

Yes, you'll have a licence and a provisional licence. When you pass your moped test, that will be added onto your car licence for free. You can then use any unused time on the provisional to get an A provisional licence and try and get that. BTW if you are over 18 you may be better off getting an A provisional licence instead of the M provisional and doing lessons and the test on a school bike, then at least you'd have the option at a later date of ridding a proper bike while still using the moped for commuting.

Advertisement