Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My story

Options
  • 23-10-2007 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

My story.

Hi all,
    I believe you need a really good reason to give up smoking and for a lot of us simply saying that your health will be better just doesn't cut it. Some say that smokers have addictive personalities; once the smoking habit is gone another habit is ready to fill the void. Every smoker and ex-smoker has made a decision to take on board the habit of smoking and when you remove the cigarettes from your life choose another habit that will have positive repercussions. Cravings are easy to get beyond, the habit of your elbow bending towards your mouth with the space between your fingers filled, that’s the killer. We need an outside influence to give us that extra kick to leave the smokes behind. I read Allen Carrs ‘Easy Way To Give Up Smoking’ and when I got to the last chapter it told me to smoke my last cigarette now. I didn’t touch that book for two weeks. On the 25th September 2001 I eventually started the last chapter and lit up my last cigarette with two more in the box, finished the chapter and scrunched up the two cigarettes and never touched them again. It wasn’t easy and there was a bit of work involved, like the nights of broken sleep. I remember waking one night at 4am and standing over the toilet bowl and hawking up flem from th every bottom of my lungs that I had to bite through to spit it into the toilet. Avoiding friends that smoked (with their understanding) and getting through Christmas and New Year parties. I had a habit to replace the habit I was kicking, my wife gave birth to our first child in June 2001. My son Peter was my replacement habit. By the way I still get cravings.
    With you in willpower.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

cheers dangel nice story and i would agree that something is needed to fill that void, me personally i fill it with many things into my sixth week and yeah still get cravings,but before i stopped i told myself that if i still get them around the three month mark after ive stopped im going back on them that was about three weeks ago, and although they are still there it has become more of a fleeting thought than anything comes and goes just as quick that i thought would never happen. been a tough few weeks but i am seeing the benifits of holding on in there now. climbing stairs and playing ball with my son is not breath taking anymore have even started running since i stopped.
    so anyone else thinking of going for it, what you got to loose.

good luck

Advertisement