Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nobel laureate Doris Lessing's comments

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

About 3,000 people were killed in the 2001 September 11 attacks in New York and Washington. About 3,700 died and tens of thousands of people were maimed in more than 30 years of troubles in the North.

I think that about says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Hmm. There are elements of truth in what she is saying:
    "Some Americans will think I’m crazy....They’re a very naïve people, or they pretend to be."
    But I don't think she is conveying her opinions in a particularly articulate way.

I can't imagine she will be made terribly welcome in New York if this gets out, considering what they did to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

queenlex wrote: »
    Any opinions on this story?
    Let's start with your own, shall we? Please read the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Instead of the IRA just look at how many people have been killed in Iraq since 2003. The death toll since the invasion is something like 660,000 in 2006, god knows what it is now.

People have been saying that Sept 11 has been over blown for years now. A few weeks after 9-11 something like 4,000 people where killed in Africa in some kind of fire. Are we still talking about that 6 years later? Nope

The reason 9-11 is remembered as so dramatic is because it happened live on TV, and because it also tapped into a few primal fears we have, such as hi-jacking or airplanes, and being trapped in sky scrappers. There is also the fact that it happened in a place that is supposed to be safe, in the grand world stage sense. If we hear about tens of thousands dying in Africa or the Middle East that is ok, because we just won't go to Africa or the Middle East. We are safe. But something happing like this where we (the western world) are supposed to feel safe it rattles us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Wicknight wrote: »
    If we hear about tens of thousands dying in Africa or the Middle East that is ok, because we just won't go to Africa or the Middle East. We are safe. But something happing like this where we (the western world) are supposed to feel safe it rattles us.
    I'm not so sure about that. I mean, what happened in London on 7th July 2005 does not even feature in my mind when I get on the tube. The reason 9/11 is still in the public domain is because that's where FOX News wants it to be. It's seen as justification for American military intervention abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

She sounds like a tool.

"I hate the IRA. I hate Americans. I hate George Bush. His class profits from wars. I hate Tony Blair. I hate Iran. Nobody criticises Iran."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Wicknight wrote: »
    The reason 9-11 is remembered as so dramatic is because it happened live on TV, and because it also tapped into a few primal fears we have, such as hi-jacking or airplanes, and being trapped in sky scrappers. There is also the fact that it happened in a place that is supposed to be safe, in the grand world stage sense. If we hear about tens of thousands dying in Africa or the Middle East that is ok, because we just won't go to Africa or the Middle East. We are safe. But something happing like this where we (the western world) are supposed to feel safe it rattles us.

This is exactly what Osama wanted and its exactly what he got. Its so odd that so many governments are giving him exactly what he wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mrgalway

Unfortunately, this part is true:
    They’re a very naïve people, or they pretend to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement