Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New measures on the way

Options
  • 23-10-2007 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

New road safety laws on the way. I know they've been mentioned as "coming soon" for a while but according to the indo they are coming in early in the new year.

Cut in alcohol to 50mg/100ml is one thing on the way

See the rest here

Also it looks like they are finally bringing in the driver permit system too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

In theory a good move. In practice will it be enforced any more rigidly than the current limit? Aside from the annual Christmas blitz that is? If not it's just one more law on the books to make it look like something is being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yep wont make any difference there will be no more enforcement i havent seen a guard on the road for 6 months even the speed traps seem to have disappeared recently (might have something to do with the spate of high speed one car accidents late a night in my area)
    there are still only a couple of guards on duty overnight for large rural areas and they are in towns sorting out the trouble there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Personally I would like to see existing laws enforced. I am happy about the new permit system finally being introduced, but I obviously have concerns that it simply won't be enforced...

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

There is a simple, but fairly expensive solution to cutting road deaths.

Double the resources of the Gardai Traffic Corps, including staff and actually enforce the current regulations at random and regular checkpoints all around the country.

Anyone who willingly drinks and drives will continue to do so until they realise there is a very high probability of being caught and severly punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

prospect wrote: »
    There is a simple, but fairly expensive solution to cutting road deaths.

Yes there is. Invest in a proper road infrastructure like every other European country has, and invest in proper driver training with hazard anticipation and defensive driving. Not the joke that is the provisional license system and current driving test which covers bugger all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

ned78 wrote: »
    Yes there is. Invest in a proper road infrastructure like every other European country has, and invest in proper driver training with hazard anticipation and defensive driving. Not the joke that is the provisional license system and current driving test which covers bugger all.

One step at a time my friend. That was my next brilliant tactical manouvre, now you have gone and given it away to the enemy. :mad:

prospect wrote: »
    One step at a time my friend. That was my next brilliant tactical manouvre, now you have gone and given it away to the enemy. :mad:

I'll get me coat ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

This is a waste of time until they demonstrate that they can properly enforce the current limit. They should have a ****load of data collected since the introduction of random breath testing. I'd like to see this data used to identify ways of targetting drink drivers. Is the person with 51mg of alcohol / 100ml blood that will be detected under this new scheme the cause of the carnage on our roads or it it the person with 5 times that ammount who goes undetected due to adequate policing. The gardai don't currently have the resources to breathalyse every driver involved in a serious accident, never mind to satisfactorily enforce the current limit.

When adequate policing is in place then a move to the new limit should go ahead. Until then, it merely pays lip service to what is a very serious problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

About bloody time, as it is over 400 w@nkers are caught every week. I'd also like to see the drink drivers car get confiscated and sold at auction, that would cut the number of drink drivers overnight.

DonJose wrote: »
    About bloody time, as it is over 400 w@nkers are caught every week. I'd also like to see the drink drivers car get confiscated and sold at auction, that would cut the number of drink drivers overnight.

It would also plunge people into economic depravity overnight too when they are still paying finance on a car they don't have anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement