Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ram for hp pc

Options
  • 23-10-2007 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

hi can anyone tell me what ram is needed for the following pc

HP Media Centre PC M7580.uk PROD num: RA917AA-ABU.?

currently 2gb installed and two free slots, max ram is 4gb

i am looking for hp part number: EK478-69001
    ( 1GB (1dimm) memory module, pc2-5300, DDR2-667 SDRAM DIMM 240 pin)

but cant find anywhere that sells it,, any ideas?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337890

Nice and cheap. Though unless you're using a 64-bit OS then you won
    't see all that ram if you already have 2gb, so maybe this might be better.

Just take a look at komplett's memory section, if you're looking for something more specific. What I've listed is just plain budget ram and at the same speeds that you posted. Slower DDR2 ram will also work fine. Which is fine for the day to day user. What do you need the extra ram for, anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

HavoK wrote: »
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337890

Nice and cheap. Though unless you're using a 64-bit OS then you won
    't see all that ram if you already have 2gb, so maybe this might be better.

Just take a look at komplett's memory section, if you're looking for something more specific. What I've listed is just plain budget ram and at the same speeds that you posted. Slower DDR2 ram will also work fine. Which is fine for the day to day user. What do you need the extra ram for, anyway?

was thinking of going to vista ultimate, play some games on the pc too flight sim x, ghost recon etc .. just thought that as ram is cheap its a good idea to max it out..? i know that vista will see only 3/3.5gb ram..

i would like to get HP part number that i posted earlier but i cant find it anywhere... i would prefer to have identical ram / make in my pc,,

Don't worry about it. You'll end up paying a fortune if you insist on getting the exact same ram. You don't really need more then 2Gb either for games anyway right now. Far more important is the video card in your case. That machine comes as standard with the onboard 6150. Atrocious for games (unless you meant the very first Ghost Recon from years and years back, which would run fine). You would need a new video card far, far more urgently then more ram to be honest.

Don't worry about it. You'll end up paying a fortune if you insist on getting the exact same ram. You don't really need more then 2Gb either for games anyway right now. Far more important is the video card in your case. That machine comes as standard with the onboard 6150. Atrocious for games (unless you meant the very first Ghost Recon from years and years back, which would run fine). You would need a new video card far, far more urgently then more ram to be honest.

the machine is a high spec machine, with onboard raid, etc, it came as standard with the 512mb nvidia geforce 7600GS video card! attached the spec of the pc..

Hardware
    Base processor
    PentiumD 940 (P) DC 3.2 GHz
    800 MHz front side bus
    Socket 775
    Chipset
    Intel 945P
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer: Asus
    Motherboard Name: P5LP-LE
    HP/Compaq motherboard name: Emery2-UL8E
    Memory
    Component Attributes
    Memory Installed 2 GB
    Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB)

*Actual available memory may be less
    Speed supported PC2-5300 MB/sec
    Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

Hard drive
    400 GB (2 x 200) SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)
    7200 rpm
    16X DVD(+/-)R/RW (+/-)R DL LightScribe drive
    Must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the DL technology
    Must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology
    Function Maximum speed
    DVD-R DL Write Once Up to 4X
    DVD+R DL Write Once Up to 2.4X
    DVD+R Write Once Up to 16X
    DVD+RW Rewritable Up to 4X
    DVD-R Write Once Up to 8X
    DVD-RW Rewritable Up to 4X
    DVD ROM Read Up to 16X
    CD-R Write Once Up to 40X
    CD-RW Rewritable Up to 24X
    CD-ROM Read Up to 40X

DVD ROM
    Maximum speed: Up to 16X
    Wireless
    Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g
    Video Graphics
    GeForce 7600GS
    512 MB DDR memory
    I/O Ports: S-Video, DVI-I, DVI-I
    Television
    TV tuner card
    Sound/Audio
    Integrated High Definition audio
    Realtek ALC 882 chipset
    Supports up to 8 audio channels
    Dolby Pro Logic II compatible
    Network (LAN)
    Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
    Memory card reader
    Supports the following cards:
    Compact Flash I
    Compact Flash II
    SmartMedia
    Memory Stick
    Memory Stick Pro
    MultiMediaCard
    Secure Digital (SD)
    Micro Drive
    XD Picture Card (xd = extreme digital)
    NOTE: Some models may come with an alternative card reader that meets or exceeds these specifications.

External I/O ports

OK, When I look up that model number I get an X2 Machine with onboard 6150...

Anyway, sorry to burst the illusion but a Pentium D and a 7600GS is not high end, in fact, it's rather the opposite, about as low end as you can get these days. Though the 7600GS is leaps and bounds better then the 6150 I thought you had it's still not great (for newer games, enough for slightly older ones from maybe 2005-2006 so depending on your games it could be perfectly sufficient).

The good thing is that your board supports core 2 duo so you could pick up a new processor (the 1066mhz fsb ones, not the newer ones.) FSX in particular is very cpu intensive. Also, I've no idea what sort of power supply your machine has, but unless you want to check it, I'd assume its 300-350w - should be enough for something like an 8600GT which would also be much better then the 7600GS.

The ram is the least of your worries really. :D

• Advertisement

OK, When I look up that model number I get an X2 Machine with onboard 6150...

Anyway, sorry to burst the illusion but a Pentium D and a 7600GS is not high end, in fact, it's rather the opposite, about as low end as you can get these days. Though the 7600GS is leaps and bounds better then the 6150 I thought you had it's still not great (for newer games, enough for slightly older ones from maybe 2005-2006 so depending on your games it could be perfectly sufficient).

The good thing is that your board supports core 2 duo so you could pick up a new processor (the 1066mhz fsb ones, not the newer ones.) FSX in particular is very cpu intensive. Also, I've no idea what sort of power supply your machine has, but unless you want to check it, I'd assume its 300-350w - should be enough for something like an 8600GT which would also be much better then the 7600GS.

The ram is the least of your worries really. :D

the machine is vista ready, has a sticker on the front, ran the vista planner and all passed ok..
    512 mb video is more than enough for flight sim X, GRAW2, etc ...

ok so whats the best way to beef the machine up?

heres the spec of the motherboard

Motherboard specifications table
    Part / Feature Specification / Support
    Motherboard description Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS P5LP-LE
    HP/Compaq name: Emery2-UL8E

CPU/Processor Socket: 775
    Supports the following processors:
    Pentium D 800 series (Smithfield)
    Pentium 4 600 series (Prescott)
    Pentium 4 HT (Prescott)

System bus 533 MHz, 800 MHz, 1066 MHz

Chipset Northbridge: Intel 945P
    Southbridge: Intel ICH7DH

BIOS features 4 Mb FWH EEPROM
    HP BIOS with enhanced ACPI, DMI, Green, and PnP Features Plus

Form factor Micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in

Memory Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
    Supports PC2 3200 (400 MHz), PC 4200 (533 MHz) and PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs
    Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 4 GB*

NOTE: *Actual available memory may be less

Expansion slots Three PCI
    One PCI Express x16 graphics

Video graphics External only

Serial ATA 4 SATA connectors
    Each connector supports 1 serial ATA-150 disk drive

Onboard audio or audio card Integrated Intel High Definition (TM) audio (Azalia)
    Realtek ALC 882 CODEC
    Supports up to 8 audio channels
    Dolby Pro Logic IIx compatible

Onboard LAN Intel 82562GT
    10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet

Back panel I/0 One PS/2 keyboard port (purple)
    One PS/2 mouse port (green)
    One Parallel
    One IEEE 1394a
    One RJ-45 networking port
    Four USB 2.0
    One coaxial SPDIF in
    One coaxial SPDIF out
    Audio ports:
    line in (light blue)
    line out (lime)
    microphone (pink)
    side speaker out (gray)
    rear speaker out (black)
    center/subwoofer (yellow orange)

Internal connectors One floppy connector
    One IDE connector
    One 24-pin ATX power connector
    One 4-pin ATX 12 V power connector
    Four serial ATA connectors
    One IEEE 1394a connector
    Two USB 2.0 connectors
    One CPU fan connector
    One PC (chassis) fan connector
    Two internal audio connectors
    One front headphone connector
    One PC panel connector

I think you drastically misunderstand your graphics cards capabilitiesw. 512mb of ram on a 7600GS is a typical feature used to draw in people into thinking it's a high end component when it's not. A 7600GS can't even use 512mb of ram due to the limitations of the cards other spec's. Ghost Recon 2 would run fairly crappily on a 7600GS of any kind. Any half decent 256mb card would leave a 512mb 7600GS in the dirt, to be honest. You can get 512mb cards that wouldn't even be able to start up Ghost Recon 2. It's a strong gimmick in OEM machines.

To 'beef' that up I would throw in a Core 2 Duo of some kind like this (remember you can't use one of the newer 1333mhz fsb processors) and an 8600GT.

I think you drastically misunderstand your graphics cards capabilitiesw. 512mb of ram on a 7600GS is a typical feature used to draw in people into thinking it's a high end component when it's not. A 7600GS can't even use 512mb of ram due to the limitations of the cards other spec's. Ghost Recon 2 would run fairly crappily on a 7600GS of any kind. Any half decent 256mb card would leave a 512mb 7600GS in the dirt, to be honest. You can get 512mb cards that wouldn't even be able to start up Ghost Recon 2. It's a strong gimmick in OEM machines.

To 'beef' that up I would throw in a Core 2 Duo of some kind like this (remember you can't use one of the newer 1333mhz fsb processors) and an 8600GT.

my motherboard supports these processors

Motherboard specifications table
    Part / Feature Specification / Support
    Motherboard description Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS P5LP-LE
    HP/Compaq name: Emery2-UL8E

CPU/Processor Socket: 775
    Supports the following processors:
    Pentium D 800 series (Smithfield)
    Pentium 4 600 series (Prescott)
    Pentium 4 HT (Prescott)

System bus 533 MHz, 800 MHz, 1066 MHz

Chipset Northbridge: Intel 945P
    Southbridge: Intel ICH7DH
    [/B]

will a core 2 duo work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Yes a core2duo will work, provided it has the right bus speed- an E4400 or E4500 would suit most

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338080

Yes a core2duo will work, provided it has the right bus speed- an E4400 or E4500 would suit most

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338080

thanks for the info, would there be much of an increase in speed, if i upgrade to that processor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Over the pentium D there would be a noticable difference in speed in my opinion

Advertisement