Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimising my site for older browser versions

Options
  • 23-10-2007 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

Ive developed a web page using jsp and css and it all works and displays fine in IE7 but Ive found out now that it doesn't display properly in IE6.

Whats the best way of keeping it displaying properly in IE7 while adjusting it to display in IE6?

I guess I could use javascript to check for an older version of IE and if its an older version then load a different stylesheet but this would mean everyone would need to have javascript enabled.

Anyone have any ideas what best way I could go about this?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In what way is it not displaying properly?
    Is it W3C compliant?
    HTML: http://validator.w3.org/
    CSS: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

In IE6 what happens is the box where you input your email address goes a little to the left and the box within which this is contained is longer and narrower than it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Have you tested it against safari / firefox / mozilla / opera ?

There are conditional statements you can include for IE in your css
    <!--[if IE 6]>
    Special instructions for IE 6 here
    <![endif]-->

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have you defined widths for each of your 'boxes'? Are your boxes cells within a table or DIV tags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I guess I could use javascript to check for an older version of IE and if its an older version then load a different stylesheet but this would mean everyone would need to have javascript enabled

You could do this in a server-side script.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

What I do here is design the site to work in Firefox, and then get it working in IE7 and then in IE6. There shouldn't be too many differences between FF and IE7 but when you go to IE6 you usually have a few things you need to take care of. Best way to do it is using a "conditional style sheet" as mentioned above (google it for more info) but if you use the following, you can load an alternative style sheet for ie6:

<!--[if lte IE 6]>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ie6.css" />
    <![endif]-->

In that style sheet, you only have to include the css references for the elements not working. IE6 will still load the main style sheet but replace certain properties with what you have in this IE6 specific one only!

Hope that helps!

Dave

Advertisement