Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs summed up in a few lines

Options
  • 23-10-2007 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Supporting Spurs is, and is likely to continue to be about going to a party where you take more booze than you drink and never score (and rarely look likely to score) wiv a bird and console yourself with a kebab and memories of better parties in the past on the long empty walk home. And then turn up next week with even more and expensive booze hoping that one day all the old magic will come back.

From Jim Duggan on Topspurs. Read the full editorial here at
    http://www.topspurs.com/jmdview.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Superb quote and so sadly true!

We are gone beyond a joke Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dantes74

alas that is true but we should be well used to dissappointment being life long spurs fans.
    the problem with this season is we had such high expectations and at long last we had the board putting it's money where it's mouth is.
    i still think we can turn this around and finish the season in the top 7 and so qualify for the uefa cup. unfortunately champions league, which was this years target, is now well out of reach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

dantes74 wrote: »
    alas that is true but we should be well used to dissappointment being life long spurs fans.
    the problem with this season is we had such high expectations and at long last we had the board putting it's money where it's mouth is.
    i still think we can turn this around and finish the season in the top 7 and so qualify for the uefa cup. unfortunately champions league, which was this years target, is now well out of reach

I think you put your finger on it, unfortunately we are the providers of our own misfortune. WE are the ones (Spurs Fans, and the press of course) who had these "High Expectations" I don't think BMJ ever did, and I know I didn't, I was "hoping" to stay in contention for a top 5 finish thats all. So my expectations were not that high to start with so I haven't had so far to fall (but I am falling just the same!). However some fans, and a lot on this forum, were touting top 4 and how our great "new team" were going to do so well this season (we really only brought in 2 new players that start regularly, how does change our team so much from last year, especially when Ledders is out again?). When you start with very high expectations you have a long way to fall, people are falling from a great hight now, and it hurts!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

John W wrote: »
    I think you put your finger on it, unfortunately we are the providers of our own misfortune. WE are the ones (Spurs Fans, and the press of course) who had these "High Expectations" I don't think BMJ ever did, and I know I didn't, I was "hoping" to stay in contention for a top 5 finish thats all.

Some of us looked at a squad that finished 5th last season with an extra 21 games in the cups, looked at £40m spent with virtually no players out, and rightly expected the club to match last season's achievement...at the least.

18th is well off doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Some of us looked at a squad that finished 5th last season with an extra 21 games in the cups, looked at £40m spent with virtually no players out, and rightly expected the club to match last season's achievement...at the least.

18th is well off doing that.

yes, I am still hoping for 5th - even though I think we should still have the same amount of games in the cup this year as last (hopefully - we are still on track for that at least) We also had a bad start last year, AND if you look at the same fixtures we played this year, from last year, we didn't get much more out of them. Bottom line is I don't think the fat lady is singing yet - Blackburn could well be the catalyst (one way or another). I still think 4th was an unrealistic and unwanted pressure to put on the team and management, even if we were hoping for it! and in some cases expecting it. nothing wrong with that, but way to much time was spent talking about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement