Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Kill missions are killing me

Options
  • 23-10-2007 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,
    Just after starting Eve, heard some good things from the likes of Jaggeh so decided to give it a go.

Its looking like a great game thusfar just having some trouble er, staying alive. Seems like any kill missions I take are really just set up to kill ME, I've had to replace 3 merlins and a kestrel now(I'm down to using my spare bantham for mining to rebuild enough ISK).

Just wondering if I should even bother outfitting another Merlin/Kestrel or should I be aiming to get into a cruiser or assault ship asap?

Also, any tip's on outfitting? I've been using 2 X Missle turret I and 175mm railguns on my merlin's and 4 x missle turret's on Kestrel. I have yet to get powergrid upgrade skills or shield enhancements so I've been using shield extender I in my mid's and a civ armor repair in low.

I'll be in the Irish channel tonight, didnt know there was such a thing. In game name is "Rhyllen".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

What race are you? I assume you're caldari if you're in a Merlin. If you're Caldari you should probably fit a Kestrel with standard missiles. The Merlin is more of a tackling ship. Don't bother with the rail guns yet. The Kestrel has 4 missile launcher slots as far as i can remember. Fit a shield extender and a shield hardner specific to the type of damage the pirates in your mission do. You can find this out by clicking in your journal and selecting the mission. In the mission details get the name and search for it on this website.

http://eve-survival.org/

There should also be a little icon telling you which pirates you will be fighting. For most level 1 missions, you probably wont need the shield hardeners and instead you could fit a shield booster or an after burner.

Try fitting:

High:
    - 3 or 4 (depending on your skill points, launcher slots and power grid) Malkuth Standard Missile Launchers with Bloodclaw light missiles
    Medium:
    - 2 Small Shield Extenders
    - 1 Shield booster or Afterburner
    Low:
    - 2 Ballistic control systems or Power diagnostic units, depending on which is needed.

This set up should give you enough dps to take down any frigate fast enough if you focus it, and enough shield hp to survive a good while.

My advice would be to save up and get a Caracal. I did a lot of level 1 missions in a Caracal. All I needed to do was fly in and sit there. Most of the ships would be destroyed before they got in range for me. Before you know it, you'll be doing level 2's.

Also, when you ever you fly in and agress the pirates, you should probably align yourself with an object in space. Do this by selecting any object that you can warp to, then double click just right above it. This will set you flying towards it, so that if you get in to a spot of trouble, you can warp to it with out your ship having to automatically turn, which wastes time, and can often be the difference between your ship surviving or being destroyed.

I'm pretty new to the game myself. I've got just over 2 million skill points. The basics of surviving npc's will come soon enough if you just stick with it.

Check out this thread on the eve online forums. It has a bunch of ship set ups for pretty much every ship in the game.

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=280144&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

FFS stop beating me to the "help the new player" posts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Also, tech up/save up to get a salvager I and the necessary skills to use it. Using these bad boys you can salvage the ships that you destroy which can generally double the amount of money you make from the mission. Later on you can generally even make more money from salvaging than from the actual mission.

Salvager can set you back about 1,000,000 ISK though, so its not something you want to speed to too early as your first priority should be getting into a bigger ship ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

Not many people compliment others on boards for posting, but that was an excellent post Binomate, covers everything he should need. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Maddzy wrote: »
    Not many people compliment others on boards for posting, but that was an excellent post Binomate, covers everything he should need. Nice one.

/seconded (adding it to the help guide now, care of Bino :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Ivan wrote: »
    Also, tech up/save up to get a salvager I and the necessary skills to use it. Using these bad boys you can salvage the ships that you destroy which can generally double the amount of money you make from the mission. Later on you can generally even make more money from salvaging than from the actual mission.
    Later on??? In level 1 missions the salvage was the main source of income and I'm not seeing any change to that in level 2 missions so far. Level 2 missions tend to give higher ratios of salvageable wrecks and wrecks with intact items which is a definite plus (obviously the quality and value of the items also tends to be better).
    Ivan wrote: »
    Salvager can set you back about 1,000,000 ISK though, so its not something you want to speed to too early as your first priority should be getting into a bigger ship ;)
    Assuming you're in Caladari space you should be able to get one for 39,000 ISK so make sure to shop around, a few jumps for the best part of a million isk is well worth it when starting out. If you can get one a tractor beam will make salvaging go way faster as you only need to get within 20Km, tractor the wreck in and use the salvager once it's 5Km away. You can salvage one wreck while reeling in the next.

What I did for level one missions was to get a destroyer (Cormorant) and load it up with railguns. It'll pretty much destroy anything you come across in level 1 missions in 1 or 2 volleys and it's still really cheap. Think I switched to an osprey, Carcal and then a Moa. Upgrading to a Ferox for lv2 missions.

Current set up is the Ferox with 5 hornets, 4 250mm scout turrets, 3 Limos missile launchers kitted with FOF light missiles (working on upgrading to FOF heavies), 2 Large shield extenders, 1 Thermal resistance amplifier, 1 Omni ECCM, 1 reactor diagnostic and 1 reactor control unit, 1 damage control and 1 magnetic field stabiliser.
    Then I use the moa for salvaging with 4 salvagers and 2 tractor beams, an afterburner, some shield extenders and then cargo upgrades in the low slots.

What will work best for you though really depends on what skills you've trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

This site is also great http://eveinfo.com/missions/4/

It's out of date somewhat and certain missions aren't in there as well as the enemies you face have been upgraded however it clearly shows what ammo type to use and what to tank against. Makes mission running a complete doodle.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭mamolian

Maddzy wrote: »

And there was I beginning to think that out of all the NESW chaps you were the most embittered! :D

They might be an awful shower of *****.. but the lads in the Irish channel ingame will more likely point you in the right direction than not.

Advertisement