Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collection leaflets/flyers

Options
  • 23-10-2007 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

We are getting about two of these a month now.
    You know the ones.. "Please leave out your etc etc..."
    The latest is asking us to actually drop the stuff off around the back of a place.

Is there any webiste where you can check if these things are real or not?

This has no name but says "carried out in association with DOCHAS NASAMU".

Also states - Collection Permit for Lenrec: WCP/KK/289/05

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I googled the charity number of one of the ones to check if it was legit and found out it was a scam. I'd just ignore them if I were you and bring your old stuff to charity shops instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭georgem25

2 a month??
    I get at least 2-3 a week!! There have been many write ups in the papers about them - support your local charity!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I get one of these pretty much every day. Just a sticker you put on a bag and leave outside. There are four different ones that I get in Limerick, all are fake. The only ones that are real are (generally) the charities that leave an actual bag for your stuff. Though I've heard of the con men driving around and collecting the legit charity bags too, thieving scumbags.

Just bin them. It seems that there isn't any statutory body looking into this. It's probably a matter for the Gardai, though I'm not sure what law is being broken as if you willingly give your stuff away then it's not theft. Taking the other charities bags is probably a crime, though might be a matter for a civil court rather than criminal since the bags are effectively left on the side of the road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I get a few a week.

If they are a real charity, they will have a 5 digit number starting with CHY, postal address, a landline and a website. No real charity would have just a mobile number for contacting.

If you want to give bags to charity, you are better off bringing them to the SVP or Oxfam. More time consuming but you can be sure your things will benefit someone.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

what about the ones that have a truck parked in local church car park collection clothes on a designated day??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

TheDriver wrote: »
    what about the ones that have a truck parked in local church car park collection clothes on a designated day??

That would be the SVP or such like. But I know the SVP caravan has SVP written all over it. Also if it's on chruch or supermarket grounds it'd more then likely be legit, as they have to ask permission from the land owner. But if it's out side they could be dodgy.

Don't forget that most recycling centres not have bins for clothes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I contacted Concern in regards to this last year and got the following reply, the w@nkers who come around my area are all eastern europeans in Norther Ireland regged vans.

"Dear ******,

Thank you for your email. What is happening is to my mind very wrong. I can guarantee you that if you ring any of the phone numbers, which I have tried on occasion; you will never get a reply. What I have discovered is that these are bogus clothes collections. The are run by a crowd of shysters from Northern Ireland who merely sell on the clothes in bulk to Eastern Europe for profit.

As for the door to door collectors, I would strongly recommend that you contact your local Garda immediately you ever come across them again and advise your friends to do likewise. If they are genuine the Guards will be able to decide if they have proper permits or accreditation. Concern has suffered as have other charities by bogus collectors claiming to represent us. We do not encourage this type of collection. There have been quite a few caught by the Guards around Dublin as a result of the public phoning the local police station. I now think that they are merely moving further afield because of the pressure being asserted on them in Dublin. I hope I have been of assistance and again please call the Guards to help stamp this terrible fraud out.

Yours sincerely,

Kevin Byrne

Donor Care Administrator"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Belfafter

It really is a scandal.
    2 vanloads of thses guys actually had a fistfight on our street last week.
    One had been stealing from the other I think.some guy up our way ( belfast ) called Robert Dunlop or his sidekick Tim Davis are supposed to be the guys organising it.
    They have big yards where the east european trucks sit and all those vans unload into them.
    How do they get away with this ?
    Honest charities likely dont want to get involved as even recently one in antrim got their van burned because they did there own colections .

People should send off a letter to there local politician asking them to control the whole thing better?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

kleefarr wrote: »
    We are getting about two of these a month now.
    Try getting at least 1 a day *plus* all the other usual suspects for Pizza delivery services (which reminds me...), double-glazing, attic conversions etc.

I came home today to find 7+ leaflets and fliers delivered today.

More irritating still are the Betterware reps who drop an unwanted catalog through your door and come looking for it back a week later.

Still, the free plastic bags are handy.

I think I'll approach my local Green about bringing in an opt-out 'Pas de Pub' sticker scheme like they have in Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

More irritating still are the Betterware reps who drop an unwanted catalog through your door and come looking for it back a week later.

I just got one of those yesterday. They come back looking for it?! What's that about?

Good luck, it'll be in the bin. Hope I'm there to tell them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 day sleeper

jor el wrote: »
    I get one of these pretty much every day. Just a sticker you put on a bag and leave outside. There are four different ones that I get in Limerick, all are fake. The only ones that are real are (generally) the charities that leave an actual bag for your stuff. Though I've heard of the con men driving around and collecting the legit charity bags too, thieving scumbags.

Just bin them. It seems that there isn't any statutory body looking into this. It's probably a matter for the Gardai, though I'm not sure what law is being broken as if you willingly give your stuff away then it's not theft. Taking the other charities bags is probably a crime, though might be a matter for a civil court rather than criminal since the bags are effectively left on the side of the road.

My problem is that they actually stole a scooter from outside of my house, right infront of my door but in my driveway..they come in the middle of the night because they can then break into cars also and can get the clothing left out before their competition gets to it first.have been talking to neighbours and police...
    im in limerick...please any one who sees these white vans with gangs of people going around to houses, notify the police and take the number plate if you can..usually the van parks at the entrance to the estate and will pull up to a house if they see aything of interest. i truly believe handing the leaflets into houses is a seeming legitiimate way of loitering and checking what is available to be taken. if you ever se them they spend a good amount of time looking in cars in the driveway etc.
    i dont expect to get the scooter back but i want these scumbags out of the area.
    They are committing a crime by acting fraudulently, before they even go ahead and steal anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Try getting at least 1 a day *plus* all the other usual suspects for Pizza delivery services (which reminds me...), double-glazing, attic conversions etc.

I came home today to find 7+ leaflets and fliers delivered today.

Still, the free plastic bags are handy.

I think I'll approach my local Green about bringing in an opt-out 'Pas de Pub' sticker scheme like they have in Belgium.

In true Green Party 'Gormless' fashion I like to recycle all my junk mail - wait for the spam letters with the freepost envelope, stuff with unwanted junk mail and post. Green or wah :)

Advertisement