Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cz .22 hornet

• 23-10-2007 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

quick question lads, anyone know anything about this rifle. is it reliable.

thanks stephen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ned Muldhoon

excellent, reliable and accurate rifle. Had one for years and it accounted for more foxes and rabbits than any other rifle I owned. Only issue I would have with them would be the trigger - too much travel and not a crisp break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

thanks ned i was hoping to hear something like that so i was.
    do they tend to jam much???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have used it before and it's a good round. Only problem I have is the price of ammo.

I never experienced any jamming - but I am aware this can happen. The problem is with the mag. - If you have this problem, shave a very thin sliver of the top of the mag using very fine emery paper or oil stone.

how much does the ammo cost?

• Advertisement

Depends - 50 rounds of Winchester are about 20 to 25 Euro (I think!), have purchased or sold any in a long time!

thats fairly pricey so it is compared to the .22 lr rounds

I could be wrong on the price, but although the calibre is popular in Ireland and the UK, it's not that popular elsewhere. - not much demand makes a bit of a difference in the price. Check with any RFD and you will get a general idea of price.

Assuming you are using this for foxes - couple of boxes a year should suffice - so I wouldn't let the cost of ammo effect your decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_15_26&products_id=26

Theres an idea of what the cost would be . About 1 euro a shot. :(
    Have you considered a .223?

i have but are the hornets not a lot cheaper for what your getting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

i own a hornet at the moment and think its a lovely rifle very accurate and reliable. the trigger can be used as normal or pushed forward to engage a hair trigger!

i have tried all sortes of ammo and never had any problems with any other than the price which is 24 euro for 50 rounds of hollow point, ballistics are dearer.......

the only problem is sometimes when loading the bolt wont close but this is sortedby just tapping the bottom of the mag

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bogteal

have cz hornet for years great gun, my one has 2 triggers when you pull the back one it makes front one hair trigger there is a little screw to change trigger pull, last box of bullets were something like 40 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

tbh anyone that buys a hornet would be mad, why would you when you can get the .223 rifle for the same money cheaper faster and a lot more power than the hornet, think before you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

as most of the guys are saying it is a fantastic gun, but its not cheap to run...a box of rounds up here in Donegal at the minute will set you back an average of 55 yoyos for a box of 50! :mad:
    its a good gun though,ive dropped a grey crow at 300 yards with it, wasnt much of him left and its well capable for rabbits at that distance and the odd fox if he pops his head up..i am thinking of going for a .223 for foxes because the rounds are so expensive for the hornet.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

dony buy a hornet-gun dealers dont want them in trade ins cos the 223 is selling that well -the ammo is much cheaper for 223 and if you get into reloading the hornet is a pain in the ass to reload and the cases have a very short life cos their so thin whereas the 223 can be reloaded quite easily and wth a good load youll get long case life which makes shooting even cheaper again......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Hornet is probably my favourite round. Haven't got one at the moment though. Use a swift for foxing and a 22lr for rabbits. If I only had one rifle it would be a hornet. Ammo a bit pricey but good all round cartridge. CZ are excellent rifles too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

dony buy a hornet-gun dealers dont want them in trade ins cos the 223 is selling that well -the ammo is much cheaper for 223 and if you get into reloading the hornet is a pain in the ass to reload and the cases have a very short life cos their so thin whereas the 223 can be reloaded quite easily and wth a good load youll get long case life which makes shooting even cheaper again......
    In some districts you simply won't be granted a licence for a .223 and the hornet/swift are the only options in some cases. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

Bond-007 wrote: »
    In some districts you simply won't be granted a licence for .223 and the hornet is the only option in some cases. :(

it was for me anyway buit so glad of it brilliant rifle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Good man.

I have nothing but sympathy for the shooters of Kilkenny who cannot obtain/renew .223 licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Good man.

I have nothing but sympathy for the shooters of Kilkenny who cannot obtain/renew .223 licences.
    View this tread:.223 Not allowed here
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055209444

• Advertisement
Advertisement