Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

96 Honda Accord Clutch

Options
  • 23-10-2007 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Lads just wanted to run this past ya...

I have 96 Accord 2.2i vTec dream machine. Serious car. Anyway the gearbox has got really stiff lately, struggling to get it into some gears etc.

Took it down to my mechanic to get a look and he says it needs a new clutch. 500 + VAT. Said that the gearbox itself seems ok as it goes into gear fine when its off but it does not "disengage" or something when engine is off/on or something like that.

I didnt pass any remarks to that cost of it, but seeing since the search feature is back on boards i gave it a quick search and from the other posts i get the feeling this may be dear. I dont think im being ripped off because ive dealt with this lad a load of times and he is very good and is usually always cheap, so i was just wondering is it just a Honda thing?:(

Im in blanch by the way...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

I have a similar problem with my Octavia - clutch wont fully disengage - was told 1100 for parts and labour! 500 sounds like a good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

With the clutch pedal to the floor is it hard to get into gear? If so, change the gearbox oil -- 3 litres of Honda MTF-II (don't use anything else) at about 8 euro a litre, available from any Honda dealer. Bring your own can/bottle tho as they don't sell it in convenient 1 litre bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

Really? **** thats steep, now you've got me thinking, i didnt ask him whether that was just for parts or for labour as well! must ring him to check...

Jhmeg, yeah it is hard enough to get into gear even when it is fully depressed. I checked the transmission fluid well (from the manual) and it is full and i checked the small rubber accordion type bit and theres no leaking from it either. I take it transmission fluid and gearbox oil are the same, yes? But there is also a slight clicking/breaking noise that goes when you press the clutch which i noticed. When he heard this he said "yeah its defo the clutch".

Yep. parts and labour for a 3 piece clutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Could also be the clutch cylinders (slave and master cylinder). If its stiff going into gear and sometimes grinds it would definitely be worth looking into before paying that kind of money.

EDIT : Just noticed - my 1,000th post! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Hey homer, is the clutch pedal spongy at all? When you press is it soft and then stiffens up (oh..er) :D. This would be indicative of a problem with the hydraulics (master/slave cylinders)... but I am not sure if yours is hydraulic or cable based.

I changed my gearbox oil and it made no difference - but I would say it would be worth doing just to eliminate it. Cheap enough as JHMEG said.

• Advertisement

Hey Drax, no the clutch consistency stays the same the whole time, neither extra stiff or extra loose, the only thing that is different when using the clutch is the tiny snapping sound near full reach when you press it in.

Im fit to pay the 500 relatively easy enough i just hope that its fixed after forking the 500 out is what im worried about... He said "ill fix the clutch and we can just hope that when i strip it down i dont find anything else" :(
    which sounds like a real cowboy thing to say but hes not that way at all so ill just cross my fingers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

€600 odd sounds like a bargain but having said that- I almost posted a question yesterday for a workmate with a '92 accord. He topped up his clutch reservoir and he had air in the system somewhere but he managed to bleed it.

Cheers cantdecide, i have it booked in now and the money put aside so I just hope its fixed after this!

Advertisement