Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apprenticeships in the army..

Options
  • 23-10-2007 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

well, i want to join the army as soon as i get out of school and i'm wondering about the role you have in the army as an apprentice. when you are an apprentice mechanic, do you get to go on missions and abroad? and so on... i saw on the website that you are put in non-commision ranks so does that mean you can't go on missions or join different part of the army (e.g ARW ) too? see when i get out of the army i want to open up a garage, that's why i want to do an apprenticeship in the army, but i want to do different things as well e.g try to get into the ARW (i know, fat chance but still..) and/or go on missions. really all i'm asking is, if you become an apprentice, do you miss the all the good parts about being in the army? (well, the good parts to me...):) thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

well for starters after your 6 months training you wont get an apprenticeship for a few years after you pass out as a soldier, during the time youll be waitin to become senior enough to actually get an apprenticeship(assuming you even get one because there is a lot of competition for them) you will have enought time to try out for the ARW and go overseas too, like i reckon you could be talkin 4-5 years before ya COULD get an apprenticeship, and not to mention if ya do get one youll owe the money to the army if you decide to leave before your 21 years(which start back at 1 when you get the apprenticeship-new contract!)
    i hope ive explained this well enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

king-stew wrote: »
    well for starters after your 6 months training you wont get an apprenticeship for a few years after you pass out as a soldier, during the time youll be waitin to become senior enough to actually get an apprenticeship(assuming you even get one because there is a lot of competition for them) you will have enought time to try out for the ARW and go overseas too, like i reckon you could be talkin 4-5 years before ya COULD get an apprenticeship, and not to mention if ya do get one youll owe the money to the army if you decide to leave before your 21 years(which start back at 1 when you get the apprenticeship-new contract!)
    i hope ive explained this well enough!

Do they not do the direct entry apprenticeships for 17 year olds any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The army recruits apprentices about once a year, they do NOT have to join as a general serviceman first. They do recruit training first and then it depends on availability of places on the college phases with FAS as to when they do they're 2-3* training, as in it could be straight away or a few months of a gap.

Fitters do get to go overseas and are always highly sought after for missions. There are a number of fitters attached to the wing so you can apply and who knows you might get lucky!

Best of luck with your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

i was hoping to do an apprentiship and i went to stephens barracks about it to see the captain,he said that to get an apprentiship would pot luck basicly.and if you were joining just for the apprentiship you would be very dis-appointed

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ElSeano93

i was hoping to do an apprentiship and i went to stephens barracks about it to see the captain,he said that to get an apprentiship would pot luck basicly.and if you were joining just for the apprentiship you would be very dis-appointed

ahh no im joinin for the experience as well. my friend is planning to join the air corps , we're still in school so we're trainin to improve our fitness to hopefully both join the wing.like i'm really into cars so i really want an apprenticeship in mechanics so when i leave the army (i'll want to be there about 10 years) i'll have a skill to fall back on and maybe become a car-tuner so i kinda want to save the money i get from the army into a opening a garage when i get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

to be honest mate,if you go into the Wing,your probably not going to leave the army.if you join the Wing,its not for the 'experience' alone.it MUST also be because of your desire to soldier,and soldier to the highest levels.i plan on going for the Gard's,my second choice being my second interest after law enforcement;military.i too plan on going for ARW if i go to the Army but if i do,i'll plan on making the DF a lifetime career.i dont think if you got into the Wing that you'd be so quick to leave such an adrenaline rush of a job/life!

well,thats my take on it,im open to suggestions from any serving/former DF Boardsies! :D
    eroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

biggest bluffers in the army the wing are, only messin....or am i?
    to be honest mate if your still in school your wastin your time training specifically for the wing right now, its far too early, youd only need around 9 months to get up to the physical standard they look for, and thats serious training, but you wont have any idea how to even train for military fitness untill you go through recruit training! instead of training for the ARW now if i was you and your mate id start lookin into triathalons and train for them and they really will stand to ya in the army and when you eventually go for the ARW! good luck, believe me youll need it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

how can u say that when u cant back it up maybe its true i dont know but its hard to believe when u have no explaination for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

newby.204 wrote: »
    im not going to be able to back this up as well i just cant but dont go for a apprenticeship!! im just advising you now, you may listen you may not but im just saying dont!! you would be better off financially physically and mentally if you joined for genreal service and then sought after your apprenticeship etc!!!

A mate of mine is in the middle of his Armourer's Apprenticeship, he's enjoying it. Nothing wrong with him mentally, physically or financially either.

Advertisement