Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop selling cabling gear?!

Options
  • 23-10-2007 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a place that would sell network cabling gear! I need a box of cable (for computer networking), a crimpler, cat5 cable heads and a few other bits! I think there was a place called Keddington on Childers road! Anyone any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

That place isint on the Childers road...clare street (Maybe its gone from there, cant remember)

Maplin sell all that stuff. A bit expensive though

Theres a computer shop at the top of henry street, I rang there before, they do stock network stuff

Theres also MCS which is near the train station

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Maplin's, PC World or Argos are probably your best bet.

Beware PC world charge astronomical prices for networking gear

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Beware PC world charge astronomical prices for networking gear

I am no fan of PcWorld generally, but they are cheaper than Maplin and MCS at the moment for networking needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Kess73 wrote: »
    I am no fan of PcWorld generally, but they are cheaper than Maplin and MCS at the moment for networking needs.

Agree, I'm not a fan of any of those places. But for things like networking equipment you either know what your doing or not so I would not have a problem buying this stuff from them on that assumption.

The OP could always try buying online:> www.komplett.ie I use these guys regularly without issue, not sure if they have what the OP wants though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Tbh I would stay away from walking into a shop and trying to buy equipment. If you go into Maplin they charge nearly €2 for 2 RJ-45 plugs! Ebay is the best for everything equipment wise.

I used to buy some supplies from kedington in the last company I worked for, and the pricing of some items is absolutely extortionate i.e. Was quoted €115 for a tone tracer, got exact same spec on ebay for €45 delivered. Same with a crimp and cyclops (for stripping the plenum).

Locally, I find Estuary wholesale good for things like rj-11/rj-45 connectors and cable. They are on Roches street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Re: Maplins. They are v expensive.

Whats the story on them charging €6.50 for a book showing all the parts they sell. IMO they should be giving these out free (at least to paying customers)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Try Techparts they are located rite behind the new Toyota Dealership on the Tipperary road, simply turn left just before you come to the place...they are on the right they sell everything from cat 5 to network cards etc...ask for Sean Guinane

Regards,
    Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Whats the story on them charging €6.50 for a book showing all the parts they sell. IMO they should be giving these out free (at least to paying customers)

And about 2/3 of the bloody thing is the same stuff duplicated! It makes no sense.

Anyway, the OP is looking for a box of cable (i.e. the usual 305m/1000ft), which I don't think they sell in PC World and places like that. Maplin do but it's prob a rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Trade Electric or Hugh mcGraths , both nearish the cathedral

• Advertisement

€131.9 for a 305m box of Cat5 in Maplin

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I usually buy my stuff in maplins (ease of use and boss is paying for it) Got 100 m of cat 5 for about eighty the other day. Will definately try out that other place though, maplins only selling 10 packs of rj45 heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

kedington in the childers rd, just off the roundabout! by the way, a reel of cat5 is 45 euro there.

great value, excellent service and not just wire, they do fiber optics as well

highlt recommended

Advertisement