Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallic taste in coffee?

• 23-10-2007 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I've one of these in work for the past week in an attempt to drink better coffee than the instant provided (had it lying around the house).

I grind my coffee daily and I keep it in an airtight container.

However I've noticed a metallic taste in my coffee at work. Does anyone use one of these? Have you noticed the same problem? Is it perhaps my coffee choice/grind setting?

I'm not all that keen on bringing in a proper press pot as there's nowhere to keep it really.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Do you freeze your beans?

Do you notice the taste with any other food/drink or is it just coffee from this press?

Have you tried the water from work on it's own to eliminate this? Sometimes I can get a metallic taste from the water dispenser at work after it's been cleaned as the technician hasn't flushed it through properly.

Have you recently started taking any vitamin supplements or medication?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I don't freeze my beans and my morning cuppa from the same beans tastes fine.

I reckon it's not the water as all water used in tea/coffee for all staff comes from it (wall mounted plumbed in boiler). I have never noticed it before starting to use this press either.

I'm not on any medication/supplements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Quick question, are you using the same mug/plunger at home?
    Might be worth bringing the mug home and seeing how it tastes.

(Just trying to isolate the cause as I've noticed with certain insulated mugs/presses
    the plastic lining inside can degrade and cause water/coffee to leak into the space
    between the walls. If this stale and sour liquid leaks back into your coffee it'll cause a
    bitter aftertaste - not to mention you really don't want to be drinking it!).

I've not been using this mug at home but I'm planning on bringing it home this evening to test.

Well?

I have a little 1-cup french press which is handy, they're widely available. You could try another one of those cups from a different manfacturer but it may end up the same.

• Advertisement

Well indeed. I ended up working late and was halfway home by the time I thought of the cup :rolleyes:

I'll have to experiment tonight.

Forget it again :D ?

Get lost :D

It's sitting in a bag here beside me - I won't forget it this time. Though I'm not sure I'll have time tonight to check it out as I've to meet some people on my way home. I'll get to it over the weekend and have to make do with the instant sh1te here till then :(

Grand, I think it has to be the cup really though.. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

metallic taste eh?

try taking the spoon out!!!!

/I thought of this when I saw the thread title. It doesn't really work that well now that I know it's a thermos type thing... I doubt anyone will spray any Coffee or Tea or their screens :D

• Advertisement

Well I lol'd anyway bangers.

Looks like it's the cup alright. Funny thing is that I don't get the taste if I just put cold water into it but definitely when I put coffee in.

Try it with warm/hot water.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I've seen this happen with several
    different thermos cups - both the all plastic and the metal exterior/plastic
    lined models. The plastic models seem to disintegrate over time, the plastic
    degrades from the heat and chemicals in a dishwasher.

The only solution I found was to get an all metallic thermos coffee cup, I
    picked one up in Starbucks over 5 years back and it whilst it was twice the
    price of the plastic lined models it's stood up to daily use and abuse (about
    the only good thing you'll ever hear me say about Starbucks!).

TKK, I'm familiar with the all-in-one plunger mug you are referring to -
    I havent seen an all metal one. Might be easier getting a small french press
    and seperate metal thermos cup.

Gran Hermano I've come to the same conclusion. The all-in-one is now destined for the bin - to be fair I have it for a few years so maybe, as you say, the liner is getting broken down. Can anyone recommend a place to get a small french press as this seems to be the best option? I can easily use one of the mugs in the office so that's not a problem.

I have also been looking into getting a stainless steel Thermos mug for the car (I like a cup of coffee on my way to work in the morning). I've seen them recently in Debenhams in Newbridge.

They're both widely available TKK, online and in the shops. Any decent homecare shop really.

Where are you based?

The only time I miss Roches Stores is when it comes to sourcing Bodum
    equipment - they were convenient for getting both the french presses
    and replacement glass parts.

I've noticed Homebase stock the Bodum range and you should also be able to
    pick up a good French press in Home Store + More on Belgard Road in
    Tallaght. If you're near the Kildare Outlet Village, I'm informed the kitchen
    and homeware store there stock a good selection of coffee making equipment.

I'm based in Kildare/Park West depending on time of day ;)

Hmmm, I think I'll have to pop into the outlet tomorrow evening so. I had a look in Debenhams in Newbridge last week but they only had very large presses.

Made my coffee this morning as usual, poured it into my trusty s/s Starbucks travel mug and headed off. Clicked open the lid and as always was greeted by the aromatic smell of freshly made coffee. Then the taste...

...fooking 'orrible. Metal everywhere, not a happy camper at all, upon closer inspection I could smeel the metal too. Strange the way I didn't detect the taste yesterday and today, bang! The mugs must just degrade over time. When I got to my destination I transferred the [still steaming hot] coffee into another mug but alas, it was too late. I really enjoy my coffee in the early morning and now have to do without.

Has this degradation happened many others? I'll have to go and purchase a new mug this morning. Suggestions welcome, though I reckon it'll be another Starbucks, the last one I had was perfect for 6/8 months.

• Advertisement

Argos.

Argos.

Thanks. Had a look at the argos offering just there. It looks alright, I may call in over the weekend to get a look at one, it doesn't specify product material. Keeps liquid hot for 1hr, the starbucks cup keeps liquid hot for several hours though. I'll let you know if I get into them.

FWIW I ended up getting a stainless steel Thermos one in Debenhams. No problems with it so far.

Advertisement