Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tailgating or driving ridiculously slow?

• 23-10-2007 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

What annoys you more?

Which pi**es you off more? 82 votes

tailgating
    0% 0 votes
    driving ridiculously slow
    57% 47 votes
    both are equally frustrating
    42% 35 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

neither. Posting stup1d sh1t when theres already a thread open to accomadate your ranting really gets up my ar#e.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

togster wrote: »
    neither. Posting stup1d sh1t when theres already a thread open to accomadate your ranting really gets up my ar#e.

lol. well put

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Tailgaters should be tortured and put to death. Painfully slow drivers should merely be put to death.

So I voted Tailgating :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Posters who go off on one & suggest posting elsewhere would be more appropriate without providing a link or some general indication as to where the original poster should have stuck his thread in the first place. Meh!

Yeah i thought so too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Yeah i thought so too.
    Feck off! You're tailgating my post!

Your drivin too fcukin slow!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

idiots who drive at 50km in the fast lane. get out of my way you sodding idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I've been rear-ended by a tail-gater. Someone driving stupidly slowly is annoying as hell, but at least it isn't dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

driving ridiculously slow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wacker wrote: »
    Someone driving stupidly slowly is annoying as hell, but at least it isn't dangerous.

it is dangerous and its also against the law depending on the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

hopalong85 wrote: »
    What annoys you more?

Depends if I'm in front or behind....... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Whats dangerous about slow driving? I can think of a thousand ways to die via tailgating.

Whats the most annoying thing though: A tailgating Tractor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

faceman wrote: »
    it is dangerous and its also against the law depending on the circumstances.
    Other than on a motorway where your vehicle has to be capable of doing 50 when is it against the law to drive slowly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The only time neither annoys me is when a slow driver is being tailgated. Thats just funny and well deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I drove from Shannon to Kilkenny on Sunday and had some fukcing arsehole in a VW Golf up my arse all the way to Roscrea, and I don't waste any time on the road myself. Seriously, either back the fukc off or overtake, arseholes.

So I voted tailgating :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Driving inappropriately slow (or fast) would result in a failed driving test:

http://www.irishmotoring.ie/cms/publish/car/drivingtest/testerstips/testers_tips_making_progress.php

From the Motorway section in the rules of the road:

"You must progress at a speed and in such a manner as to avoid undue
    interference with other motorway traffic. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yup many years ago, my mother failed her driving test on the basis of "failing to make due progress on the road". Driving too slowly is as dangerous as tailgaiting because it impedes the flow of traffic and results in frustrating other road users to the point where they may attempt overtaking manoeveres in situations where they shouldn't/otherwise wouldn't.

Hey OP, don't tell anyone, it'll be our secret ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I really hate tailgaters...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

McSandwich wrote: »
    Driving inappropriately slow (or fast) would result in a failed driving test:

http://www.irishmotoring.ie/cms/publish/car/drivingtest/testerstips/testers_tips_making_progress.php
    That does not make slow driving illegal though, just that you'll fail a driving test for not keeping up with the flow of traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The worst: being tailgated on the fast lane, and coming upon a foreign woman driver going @ 40km/h, with no room to undertake:mad: Esp if said woman is talking to her friend in the passenger seat, oblivious to what's happening around her:(:mad::mad::eek:

the_syco wrote: »
    The worst: being tailgated on the fast lane, and coming upon a foreign woman driver going @ 40km/h, with no room to undertake:mad: Esp if said woman is talking to her friend in the passenger seat, oblivious to what's happening around her:(:mad::mad::eek:

All you need to do is move out of the "overtaking lane" and back into the "driving" lane and let the tailgater snap at the dozy twat in front, while you just undertake them! (also illegal but the best of a bad job ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Tailgaters are the worst. I purposely drive slow when one is behind me as I don't want them to run into the back of me if I have to brake suddenly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I do hate being stuck behind some crawling at 40kph when the limits like 80 -- but at least these people can usually be over taken safely at some point etc... or they eventually find that house they were looking for.

Car that are UP your ass are uber annoying -- you're doing the limit / just over and they're right there! what the heck? oh and apparently L plates mean
    "L ets overtake"
    "L ets drive up their backside"
    "L ets gesture wildly because you took 0.5 of a second to move"
    off topic I know -- but as a L driver I get a lot of cars up my backside which is really really irritating as there's usually no reason for them to be so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I can't drive, yay me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Your a perfect candidate for a provisional driving licence so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I saw a video on youtube? where a group of US students started driving side-by-side at 65mph on a motorway, which is the limit. They did it for maybe a mile or so. The amount of angry drivers behind them was ridiculous. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Definitely, definitely the tailgater. Sure, it's annoying as hell when you're behind someone who's doing 40k in an 80k area but it's nowhere near as dangerous as the asshole in a shiny landrover who's two feet from your bumper when you're both doing 120k in the driving lane of the motorway or when you're both at 100k on a road where you've no hard shoulder to pull into (the law bedamned if one of these twats is behind me, I'm pulling into the hard shoulder so he can kill someone else).

I've actually given this a lot of thought and think I have the solution to tailgaters: a national campaign. Get everyone to turn on their hazard lights when someone is tailgating them to alert other drivers to the 'hazard' at the wheel of the car behind them. Embarassment tends to be the only thing these twats learn from.

Either that or I'm buying a hummer with a large, pointy bull bar on the back and taking to braking very sharply every time I'm tailgated.

I saw a video on youtube? where a group of US students started driving side-by-side at 65mph on a motorway, which is the limit. They did it for maybe a mile or so. The amount of angry drivers behind them was ridiculous.

What I don't like about that and in particular very slow drivers is, who do they think they are to dictate the speed to everyone behind them. Some even get all upset when I pass them out like I'm doing something wrong.

Slow driving is dangerous especially on rural roads where it's not always possible to see whats around the corner. Going much slower than every other car is going to increase the risk of an accident happening.

It should be illegal to drive under 50mph on a primary road. The N17 is terrible for it. One slow bastard holding up 50 or more cars. I'd be of the opinion that if you think 50mph is too fast for a primary road like the N17 (a nice wide road with hard shoulders and no corner that requires you to slow down) then you obviously don't know your car and shouldn't be aloud to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

star-pants wrote: »
    I do hate being stuck behind some crawling at 40kph when the limits like 80 -- but at least these people can usually be over taken safely at some point etc... or they eventually find that house they were looking for.

Car that are UP your ass are uber annoying -- you're doing the limit / just over and they're right there! what the heck? oh and apparently L plates mean
    "L ets overtake"
    "L ets drive up their backside"
    "L ets gesture wildly because you took 0.5 of a second to move"
    off topic I know -- but as a L driver I get a lot of cars up my backside which is really really irritating as there's usually no reason for them to be so.

dont have the L plates up then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

ScumLord wrote: »
    Slow driving is dangerous especially on rural roads where it's not always possible to see whats around the corner. Going much slower than every other car is going to increase the risk of an accident happening.
    As long as you can stop on the stretch of road you can see.
    If you cannot you are going to fast and may hit the cow, car, child hiding behind the bend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

driving slow for me.

In NZ they have overtaking sections (temp 2 lanes) on N11 type roads and plenty of signs leading up to them. Completely took the frustration out of driving long distances on single lane roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sleepy wrote: »

Either that or I'm buying a hummer with a large, pointy bull bar on the back and taking to braking very sharply every time I'm tailgated.

Tailgaters should get penalty points IMO. I consider it dangerous driving.

Used to be able to flick on the hazards in my old car. Still do a very quick gentle brake tap followed by a another quick jerk to scare them into backing off. If that doesn't work I go for a gradual reduction of speed, especially on motorways. And with flashers I lose all ability to drive at any speed. ;)

Slow drivers we just have to live with until the powers that be start pulling people for obstructing traffic. If someone has seen fit to grant them, a license there is nothing we can do about it. I can also understand why people find it so frustrating.
    These days I see it as an opportunity to look around or to flick through the radio stations until and if there is an opportunity to safely and legally pass them.

biko wrote: »
    I saw a video on youtube? where a group of US students started driving side-by-side at 65mph on a motorway, which is the limit. They did it for maybe a mile or so. The amount of angry drivers behind them was ridiculous. :D
    The problem in that case was more to do with the fact that they were driving side by side so that nobody else could get past any of them so disrupting the flow of the rest of the traffic.
    What I don't like about that and in particular very slow drivers is, who do they think they are to dictate the speed to everyone behind them. Some even get all upset when I pass them out like I'm doing something wrong.
    You have much less right to try and dictate the speed of the person infront of you though than they do to those driving behind them.
    Huh?!?

How is going slower going to increase the risk of an accident happening when going round a corner? I guess what you really mean is that you are far too impatient and so end up making dangerous and unnessecary overtaking manouvers on bends and probably where there is a solid white line in the middle of the road as well.

Mickah wrote: »
    driving slow for me.

In NZ they have overtaking sections (temp 2 lanes) on N11 type roads and plenty of signs leading up to them. Completely took the frustration out of driving long distances on single lane roads.
    OOH That's another one, there's a few of them on the way to Sligo and no one pulls over! they stay in the overtaking lanes. Vans barely able to make it over the hill and they won't have the good decency to pull over.

Tailgaters should get penalty points IMO. I consider it dangerous driving.
    I forgot say but I agree, while slow drivers are dangerous their not nearly as dangerous as tailgaters. It doesn't even make sense to tailgate if you want to overtake. Unless your car has great acceleration you need a bit of a gap to get up speed and it's way easier to see whats coming from a distance back. It's utterly stupid to tailgate.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    You have much less right to try and dictate the speed of the person infront of you though than they do to those driving behind them.
    But I never dictate the speed of any other road user. Even if I'm going at a fair speed and someone comes up behind me I'll let them pass (if I can) if they want to drive fast that's they're business and I want them as far away from me as possible. It takes nothing on roads like the N17 to pull in a bit and let the cars behind you go.
    Huh?!?

How is going slower going to increase the risk of an accident happening when going round a corner? I guess what you really mean is that you are far too impatient and so end up making dangerous and unnecessary overtaking maneuvers on bends and probably where there is a solid white line in the middle of the road as well.
    I mean after the bend they're going so slow you didn't even see them on the straight yet they're they are sitting on the other side of the corner waiting for someone to ram them up the rear. Cars on a motorway, your behind a car that obviously isn't paying to the road ahead and serves to avoid a slow car then you at full speed are presented with someone doing 30-40mphand there's a car in the overtaking lane beside you. I would admit I'm a very impatient driver and these people only make me worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It should be illegal to drive under 50mph on a primary road
    What about vehicles that are not legally permitted or incapable of travelling at that speed and how can it be illegal to travel under a particular speed? Minimum speed limits cannot be stipulated for obvious reasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

:rolleyes:

What about vehicles that are not legally permitted or incapable of travelling at that speed and how can it be illegal to travel under a particular speed? Minimum speed limits cannot be stipulated for obvious reasons!
    See I don't so much mind vehicles that can't go any faster because it's not they're fault and they do often pull over to let you past. I know it's impractical to convict anyone of driving to slow but guards should be on hand to keep things flowing. Just pull him over and ask him if there's anything wrong, get him off the road for a while so people can get on with it. I think there should be more guards on the roads to make sure things where moving. They'd be a great help in Claregalway but they must be busy elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Tailgaters, there's absolutely no reason to be up anyone's hole unless you're about to overtake. Tap the break to create some space :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I think if your tailgating then I don't have an issue with the person in front of you being insanely slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

unless you're about to overtake
    It's not an ideal position to be in if one intends overtaking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

It's not an ideal position to be in if one intends overtaking!

Well you have to drive past them at some point.

Let me spell it out for you then. Maintain distance until overtaking opportunity arises, then accelerate to overtake... overtake... done. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

Tailgaters, far more dangerous and far more likely to provoke a nervous driver being tailgated into doing something really stupid. Tailgaters are moronic thuggish scumbags and should simply have their licenses taken off them.

Has anyone else noticed the pronounced tendancy for tailgaters to be driving SUVs or Audis?

Slow drivers you will usually get past soon enough, and half the time it turns out to be an ancient elderly person. The only times slow drivers get really annoying is on long stretches of bad road where there is nowhere to overtake and they hold everybody up (Tubbercurry to Collooney springs to mind :mad: ); and that small minority of utter twats, usually perfectly able-bodied people in their 30s, who drive at 50kph in a 100kph zone right up until the moment you try to overtake, whereupon they swerve towards the middle of the road and accelerate. Morons like that should have their licenses removed as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can have fun with tailgaters if you change down through the gears, at traffic lights and corners don't use the handbrake that's just asking for trouble. Well that's the theory, but the stupid bast****s don't seem to notice so not a good game in this part of the world.

My pet hate are the scum that drive at almost the same speed (45mph +/-5) on the main roads and through villages. They have no respect for human life. They will accelerate on good roads if there are passing opportunities, hog the centre of the road even where lanes are wider than two cars and a hard shoulder on the side. One particular moron was driving on dipped lights, you pull out to pass put the beams on and then you see the corner his lights left hidden :eek:

Can we also have a poll option for driving in the overtaking lane at 15Km/hr below the speed limit when inside lane is empty ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

person in front driving REALLY slow. hate it. unless its a learner or a really old person. but id never really tailgate.

the ones that tailgate are always the boy racers. i tip the break every now and again when they do it just to wreck their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

It's definitely tailgaters for me. It's just dangerous and aggressive. I hate aggressive drivers so much. Getting stuck behind really slow drivers is frustrating, but it doesnt make you feel unsafe in the way tailgating does.

I really hate when you're stuck behind a slow driver and the person behind you tailgates you as if it's your fault. Not that tailgating would make me go any faster if I could, but when you physically dont have the option to do it it drives me insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Tailgating, in my opinion = A death threat + death wish rolled into one. It's extremely dangerous, wreckless, inconsiderate and uncalled for and NEVER ever acceptable!!

Driving too slow Can bother me if stuck on a bad road behind somebody extremely slow esp when in a rush but lord, that's just bad luck and happens rarely.....and the person has every right to drive slow enough for them to personally feel safe (I've yet to come across a car driving on a main road as slowly as a tractor and if tractors are allowed on the roads, then how can that same speed in any vehicle be illegal?!?!) . However, these people are NOT driving too slow intentionally (unlike "tail-gaters" - is that a word?). They are most probably an elderly person or an inexperienced or nervous driver and I take my hat off to them for not being bullied into driving faster by the ever-increasing mob of people behind wheels in a lethal rush to get there as fast as they possibly can whilst contributing to the death-on-the-road statistics as they go.

That said, it's always nice if a slow driver accommodates somebody coming behind them by pulling over to let them passed (on a smaller road) or moving into the slow lane (larger road)

If a person is driving extremely slow, then this is even MORE reason NOT to tail-gate. They are obviously driving slow for a reason and may already be very very nervous, tired, ill or have small children on board, car giving trouble etc Along with the fact that someone stuck to their arse is making them even more nervous, they could also stop suddenly at any given second....keep that in mind next time you're in a rush!!

Woah I'm ranting again arent I?! Sorry! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

beanyb wrote: »
    It's definitely tailgaters for me. It's just dangerous and aggressive. I hate aggressive drivers so much

Totally in agreement there!! Absolutely disgustingly aggressive!! They're should be an add campaign liek the new litter adds dedicated to tail-gaters!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I drive fast, but don't tailgate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement