Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tailgating or driving ridiculously slow?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

maple wrote: »
    idiots who drive at 50km in the fast lane. get out of my way you sodding idiot.

Fast lane?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

I drive fast, but don't tailgate.

Blue Peter Badge for you then eh?!

If conditions are good, my car is good and I'm feeilng good, I drive at just above the speed limit (so as they won't do me for speeding) although I have been known to speed if I have an open road, no oncoming traffic and no passengers!

I don't drive "fast" as a rule though! And I'd never ever tailgate anybody regardless of their vehilcle or speed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I hate tailgaters. Worst aspect of driving in my opinion. I drive at the speed limit nearly all of the time unless the roads are very bad and I always have people tailgating. I never, never pull in for them. Not that I usually pull in anyway since if I'm doing the speed limit then there's no reason for you to be passing me out anyway!

What really amazes me is when I see a convoy of 4+ cars all going at the speed limit or close to it and all of them up the next persons arse. Serious accidents waiting to happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mairt wrote: »
    Fast lane?.
    :eek::eek:WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY !!!!!:eek::eek:

We don't have them on this side of the Atlantic, not here, in the UK or on the Continent. We have SLOW lanes for trucks going up hills. You are getting confused because the outside lane is an OVERTAKING lane. You are supposed to be in the leftmost lane unless overtaking traffic in the lane to your left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Tailgating obviously....I mean if someone is going slow in front, at least I can overtake or adapt to their speed, thus allowing me to keep most of my attention on the road in front, as is my responsibility as a roaduser.
    If someone is tailgating me, I have my options limited as to what I can do....do I increase speed, possibly breaking the limit, endangering others in front of me? What if I was already doing the limit? The driver behind is forcing my full attention away from what is going on in front, whilst trying to make me speed up; that's bloody dangerous. If I brake or do enough for him to go into the back of me, it's his fault....but I still get hurt, my car gets damaged and all because someone was late, doesn't know how to overtake or doesn't know what a speed limit is...

As much as I dislike inapropriate slow driving , it's unlikely to directly kill or maim anyone...

Driving home yesterday evening (9:30PM) along the N6 dual carriageway towards Kilbeggan. I came up behind these two cars one driving right up the arse of the other, the rest of the road was empty!! (except for me, but I was a long way back) worse than that the tailgating car kept creeping up to the boot of the one in front and braking every 30 seconds or so!

He should either leave a bigger gap or just overtake, there's no excuse for that type of stupidity.

I passed them a couple of minutes later and the second car stayed on the boot of the first car, I thought it was being towed but no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 johnrd

Why is it whenever i look my rear mirror i see a bmw up my h**e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

johnrd wrote: »
    Funk that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

johnrd wrote: »
    :eek:

*Black Mans Willy*

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

:eek::eek:WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY !!!!!:eek::eek:

We don't have them on this side of the Atlantic, not here, in the UK or on the Continent. We have SLOW lanes for trucks going up hills. You are getting confused because the outside lane is an OVERTAKING lane. You are supposed to be in the leftmost lane unless overtaking traffic in the lane to your left.

I don't think in the legislation and bye laws, names are assigned to any lanes on any roads anywhere. If you did have to name the right lane of a motorway I don't think either 'fast' or 'overtake' would fit as people drive slowly and don't allow faster moving traffic to overtake them. The 'selfish dopey f*ck' lane - if you have to name it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

knird evol wrote: »
    I don't think in the legislation and bye laws, names are assigned to any lanes on any roads anywhere. If you did have to name the right lane of a motorway I don't think either 'fast' or 'overtake'
    Yes they do!! :rolleyes:The right lane is an overtaking lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Driving too slow gets my goat, if you can't drive at a reasonable pace then you should not be driving at all. End of

I was stuck on a road (speed limit 60mph) behind an old fart doing 35 (30 sometimes), but the other side of the road was too busy to safely overtake....nevertheless practically every car behind either overtook us or tried to, for the simple reason they didn't want to be driving at such a ridiculous speed, and I don't blame them.
    Of course if there was a crash, it would have been the fault of the individual trying to overtake, but again, if the old man had been driving at a proper speed there would likely have been no attempts at overtaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

knird evol wrote: »
    I don't think in the legislation and bye laws, names are assigned to any lanes on any roads anywhere. If you did have to name the right lane of a motorway I don't think either 'fast' or 'overtake' would fit as people drive slowly and don't allow faster moving traffic to overtake them. The 'selfish dopey f*ck' lane - if you have to name it.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Yes they do!! :rolleyes:The right lane is an overtaking lane.
    In legislation, they are referred to as "right hand lane" and "left hand lane". ;)

(Road Traffic General Bye Laws (Ammendment) Regulations 1983)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

I only tailgate in the fast lane I mean get out of the ****ing fast lane if your not planning on driving fast

Wouldn't staying back 2-3 seconds and hitting the horn/flashing the headlights get that message across a bit safer for both you and the other idiot?

• Advertisement

No its the only way they'll learn

Have you a full license?
    (just out of interest)

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

You should know better so.

Tailgating is a necessery evil.

• Advertisement

SpAcEd OuT wrote: »
    Yes.

A tad ironical on the day that's in it, eh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

SpAcEd OuT wrote: »
    Tailgating is a necessery evil.

why do you say that

As i've always found if you beep someone in the fast lane they seem to get quite pissed off same with flashing. Tailgating however is a subtle way of telling them to move over. Never had anyone give me the finger after tailgating but have had it happen after both beeping someone and flashing someone

Advertisement