Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] The Upcoming (maybe) carrier nerf

Options
  • 23-10-2007 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭

Just reading through the dev blog for a second time and then glancing at the dicussion thread (now at 78 pages) I was wondering are there many of us that fly carriers worried about this change, or do you support it?

My opinion is the same as an alliance m8, this carrier nerf will not go through, but they will do a more slight nerf which has been the plan all along, the only reason for such a drastic dev blog was to insight alot of outcry so that when the smaller nerf comes in the community will react with a "phew that was close" attitude.

For all the non carrier pilots like myself, what you think about it? I may be construded as bias as i'm part of a large "capital heavy" alliance, but I feel that we have a better insight than most and the overall response from MC pilots is "wtf, don't do this nerf!" :D

Discuss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm lazy and haven't seen the nerf. What's happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Wasn't the real problem with carriers that the mechanics of the drones resulted in the drones using as much of the server's cpu as a player, making carriers contribute much more than everyone else's lag in large fleet battles? If that's the case, then they just need to take a look at their code and make it more efficient. From the explanation given by ccp, the reason for the change sounds fair enough how ever.

I don't really care though. I have 2 million skill points. It will be a long time before I'm in a capital ship, should I decide I ever want to pilot one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Binomate wrote: »
    Wasn't the real problem with carriers that the mechanics of the drones resulted in the drones using as much of the server's cpu as a player, making carriers contribute much more than everyone else's lag in large fleet battles? If that's the case, then they just need to take a look at their code and make it more efficient. From the explanation given by ccp, the reason for the change sounds fair enough how ever.

I don't really care though. I have 2 million skill points. It will be a long time before I'm in a capital ship, should I decide I ever want to pilot one.

Well the goons have been screaming nerf bat to the fighters for awhile, but you have to realise the amount of training and isk it takes for each carrier or god forbid mom.

The changes they are proposing would almost make it better to bring a logisitcs ship with you instead of a carrier (but not exactly). Rather than attempting to reduce the lag fighters cause, CCP's answer seems to be reduce the number of fighters instead, but what this is going to mean is, people like the goons can spam say 200 frigates (t1/t2) variants along with the rest of their normal fleet, they still cause as much lag as the fighters that would be deployed to combat say the numbers variable, yet we can't nerf the goon numbers (unfortunately) but they can nerf the fighter numbers. This is kind of picking on the underdog of a fight.

Anyone that says a carrier or mom is a solo pwnmobile is retarded and has been killed a few times but low sec smartbombing capitals. Bring a scout next time :D . x13 proved it doesn't take much to kill a (stupid mind you) mom and since the changes to interdictor bubbles moms and supercaps alike have been dropping like flies. The nerf is uncalled for in retrospect. Rather than trying to fix the lag via their servers or the way their servers process fighter actions they would prefer to reduce the number causing the lag instead, but this will only help until you get more people in carriers which is going to equate to more fighters and more lag anyway, so this is more a stall to the problem than a fix.

There are also upcomming proposes to drone changes known as bandwidth which sounds like a better idea, and if they applied it as they are talking about it to carriers instead of this nerf then it might be better.

One thing though, with 30k + people on one server no matter how many changes CCP makes or how many nodes they have for the server, there will ALWAYS BE LAG, in some situations or the other, it CANNOT BE HELPED.

:D

Update: Carrier Changes have been implemented on SiSi , this means they will arrive on TQ sooner or later, maybe a few minor changes but they will be coming. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

will this make it pointless for me to keep training adeptus for carriers ;/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

no cause you gunna use it for solo mining anyway

no cause you gunna use it for solo mining anyway

More than likely tbfh use it as a jump capable freighter ;p

bah i hear they are coming out with freighters that can jump

bah i hear they are coming out with freighters that can jump

ya but they cant defend themselfs.......mind you either can the carrier if these changes come in ;/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

The amount of time you invest in training these ships is a right kick in the stones for the people who trained them. The carrier is far from being a solo pwn mobile as it is. I don't fly one, but have fought against many and in one case killed a thanatos with very little fire power. It was fitted with a normal t2 tank. As for the lag issues, you can still degete figters to other ships, so I don't see how it will stop the fighter spam.

[MOAN]I hate this nerf everything attitude going around atm. My faith in the game and CCP is really starting to wan tbh. Although I think I am just getting sick and tired of the game in general. Waste 5 hours of gaming to get the same thrill you can get in 5 minutes of playing a FPS.[/MOAN]

Also eve doesnt have a Weighted Companion Cube :/

• Advertisement

you mean a fat emo cube ? *troll Cookies*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

you mean a fat emo cube ? *troll Cookies*

-_-

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

If they wanted to fix lag they could just give damage/tank bonuses to fighters instead of additional fights. Saves lag, carriers can only direct 5 [uber] fighters at any one time, win win?

As for carriers - never flown one, wont be rushing to get in one. The encounters Ive had with people flying them tends to make me think people view them as solopwnmobiles. Thats their issue though. Its a bonus for me.

People might get upset at these changes but tbh if it forces people to actually fly with an organised support fleet, then CCP are actually helping them - like mandatory seatbelts to keep them in their capitals longer.
    x13 proved it doesn't take much to kill a (stupid mind you) mom and since the changes to interdictor bubbles moms and supercaps alike have been dropping like flies.

In fairness to x13, its not like they were wandering about in a roaming gang when one of them bumped into a MS at the gate and started shouting for people to X up and people came running in whatever fits they had....saying it doesnt take much to kill a mom in lowsec is a tad of an understatement.

They apparently put a hell of a lot of planning and training into the kill, tried and failed a few times, went back to the drawing board, planned and trained some more, then managed to draw in a foolishly overconfident mom pilot. Good work, but if low sec wasnt practically a safe haven for supercaps then moms wouldnt be hiding out there. And if the silly mom pilot had stayed in 0.0, then maybe he wouldnt have got so jaded that he would have fallen for the trap.

As for supercaps dropping like flies....theres more of them, people are practised in taking them on, and they are high value targets that people want to kill. Wasnt so long ago people were predicting 10, 20, 30 titans in the game. If the kills put a dampener on that rush to Titan and Mom Online...great.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭mamolian

This soon to be implemented nerf, really makes me wonder why I've invested something close to 3 bill isk between skills and fittings/ship cost on this carrier.. and as for any future goals of getting a mothership.. you can ****ing forget it now.

Ultimately I guess I can always find some dumb ass to buy it from me.. so I guess things aren't all that bad.. but I'm rather annoyed that the carrier and mothership, in fact.. pretty much all capitals are really being forced into taking a back seat in the Eve combat mechanics.

Mamolian fails eve once again :D:p

Ok so from the new dev blog (yes another one) looks like they might be working on having the carriers pick a more certain role rather than be a "swiss army knife" style ship. Which could be a good idea, so its going to be pretty interesting in the next few months to see what they do. :D

Advertisement