Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

350Z v RX-8 v S2000 from a living with POV

Options
  • 23-10-2007 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

Looking for some information on living with these cars. I can drive them myself and figure out which I want, so not really looking for opinions on which is faster, better handling etc etc, I am more interested in what they are like to live with - mostly from a costs POV. Each has pros & cons, so far I've come up with:

Cons
    Honda
    - Been around ages now
    - A convertible in Ireland, seriously?
    - Still hugely expensive for what it is!

Mazda
    - As thirsty as Shane MacGowan in a desert
    - That oil thing!
    - Repair costs (unknown, but a rare engine cannot be cheap to fix!)
    - Depreciation - this is the big one for me really, they are great value, a lotta car for the cash - but will I lose that benefit when I come to sell?
    - IMO they pretty ugly too!

Nissan
    - Big engine = big tax!
    - Expensive to buy & run

So any info would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

1stly the s2000
    been around ages means nothing - still fairly rare and looks modern enough imo

a convertible is not at all a bad idea in ireland at all - you'll get a good 6 months out of it ( ok maybe not this year ) but I was still driving lid down last week.

I dont see why its hugely expensive for what it is compared to any other ( although I think an MX5 is probably a better ownership prospect )

RX8 - I can't imagine they are that hard to live with if you take care of your cars the extra bit of tlc one needs won't be a problem - that engine is worth looking after imo. And it is a proper useful car with rear doors and eveything.
    it will depreciate though

you hit the nail on the head with the nissan i'm afraid - our silly tax laws and peoples even sillier adversity to buying anything other than a 1.4 plus growing green ideology might even see you been looked at distastefully in some circles

Personally I would rather the Nissan (cabrio) over the other two but given my love for my money I would have to say no to it. the Mazda will depreciate too much so i'd have to say S2000 - it will always be worth something, not cost the earth to run and be a proper wind in the hair sports car thats a hoot to drive.

But if your after real cost conscious fun have a look at an MX5 also

• Registered Users Posts: 45,786 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

from a living point of view, the RX8 has two (limited use) rear seats. I know the S2000 doesn't but i'm not sure about the 350Z. With regards the convertable in ireland issue - you don't need it to be splitting the stones to have the top down - the majority of the summer (not the rainy one just gone) and spring would give you good enough weather imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

RobAMerc wrote: »
    1stly the s2000
    been around ages means nothing - still fairly rare and looks modern enough imo

You make a good point.
    might even see you been looked at distastefully in some circles

One of the big pluses if you ask me!
    Personally I would rather the Nissan (cabrio) over the other two but given my love for my money I would have to say no to it. the Mazda will depreciate too much so i'd have to say S2000 - it will always be worth something, not cost the earth to run and be a proper wind in the hair sports car thats a hoot to drive.

But if your after real cost conscious fun have a look at an MX5 also

MX-5 - while fantastic and one of my fav cars ever just isn't powerful enough for me! The Nissan would be my No. 1 choice too, but I dont like the cabrio - I think it ruins the lines of the car. But like you said, the costs are a major factor for it - you make a good argument for the S2000 though! Downside of it being rare is that there are not a lot of them around.

Cheers for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the Zed is the best all rounder.

mack1 wrote: »
    but I dont like the cabrio - I think it ruins the lines of the car.

your right of course - few cars make the conversion happily and the Z is not one - but I have found I spend most of my time in it rather than looking at it and I like the roof down option - particularly in Dublin traffic as the sun might well be gone in by the time I get to where I am going !

yea - S2000 won't be an easy find - I'd try avoid Jap imports though

btw would you consider a Z4 at all ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

I'd imagine purely from a cost perspective S2000 would be the best option.

Personally I'd go the RX8 route...looks are a bit iffy but the car has a lot of kudos. I love the S2000 but convertibles are for women :D

350Z leaves me cold. I think it's cheap looking and I think the engine sounds awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I would go for RX8 or S2000 but definately not 350Z.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

350Z would be nice except for the silly road tax.

RX-8.. gimme an RX-7 (turbo) any day!

S2000 has a hard top (standard with S2000GT, optional with others). Interestingly the S2000 is being replaced by a 2+2 coupe.
    s2000-hardtop.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

JHMEG wrote: »
    Interestingly the S2000 is being replaced by a 2+2 coupe.
    s2000-hardtop.png

If they do, they'll clean up. A 2+2 is getting increasingly hard to find in the affordable class

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Had a 2004 350Z for a year - great car - handling, power, sound - all very addictive. Yes the tax is crap at €1343 euro per year, and insurance can be toppy. I drove it reasonably aggressively although prop 60% motorway and got around 24-26mpg which I didnt think was too bad. People complain about the plasticcy interior but didnt bother me - I felt it was very well specced. The downside - not practical!

The newer models have had power increases ( a complete new engine in the newest model)

On the other two - again its prob personaly opinion but the S2000 does look a little dated to me and the RX8 prob a little too common?

• Advertisement

CarLover wrote: »
    I think the engine sounds awful.

I think you need to put down that "Girlzone" cd and go listen to a non moded 350z - they sound fantastic ! :D

yea - S2000 won't be an easy find - I'd try avoid Jap imports though

btw would you consider a Z4 at all ?

Don't like BMs at all! An aversion I will only ever get past for an M3/5!!
    Do not like the Z4 cabrio either - again, I think the coupe looks great tho!

Looking on carzone there are a few 99 S2000s and then nothing til 2005 or something, looks like nobody bought one here for 5 yrs!!
    I wouldn't touch a jap import, but may consider a UK one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hi Lads,

Nissan
    - Big engine = big tax!
    - Expensive to buy & run

So any info would be much appreciated!

from what ive seen 350z, tax apart is cheap to run, not as thirsty as the rx8 and cheap servicing

Cyrus wrote: »
    from what ive seen 350z, tax apart is cheap to run, not as thirsty as the rx8 and cheap servicing

Possibly, I think they do return better mileage than the RX-8 alright, but you can't look fast that tax bill - not to mention insurance. I just hate contributing that much money to such a stupid road tax system! I think I will just move to America where I can buy a brand new 350 for €25k! Or even better, something with a V8!

i would suggest driving them all - financial lunacy may mean nothing once your smitten, lets face it we'd all have toyota yaris biscuit tins if there wasn't some amount of it in all of us.

I am sure the 500 extra tax a year wouldn't put me off it if I decided I liked the Z best.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

Hi Mack1,

You're going to receive an extremely biased opinion here - but I'd have the S2000. Brought one in from the UK at the end of July and it's a great car. There ain't many around in Ireland which is why I went to the UK. Have a look at the S2000 UK Owners Club for some very useful advice if you decide to take it further. Feel free to contact me if you've any other questions on it.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25

As stated by one of the other posters, a convertible isn't that much of a problem over here. Granted, we don't get 300 days of sunshine, but you can use it a lot more than you'd think. The heater in the S is brilliant.

One major thing to consider is how you drive the thing. The S is a bit peaky to say the least. Personally, I like the fact that it's pretty sedate in traffic (I live in Dublin after all!) but if you're used to or prefer something with low-down grunt, you're looking in the wrong place. If you do drive one, make sure you VTEC it. It's quite addictive!!! :D

As I say, let me know if you need any other info on it. For what it's worth, I don't think you'll go too far wrong with any of the 3 choices. Best of luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

I just hate contributing that much money to such a stupid road tax system!

Just to put things in perpective.
    Fuel:
    If you do 10,000 miles a year in a car that does 20mpg you're talking roughly €2300 on fuel a year.

If your car does 30mpg you'll spend roughly €1500 a year on fuel. A difference of €800.

Tax:
    If you get an RX8 you pay €511 on road tax. If you get the Nissan you pay €1343. Again a difference of roughly €800.

I don't know the exact figures on fuel consumption so I'm not saying the Nissan will get 10mpg better than the RX8 but I'm sure the €800 difference in annual tax won't look as bad.

I presume you're planning on spending over €20k on the car so the tax thing shouldn't be as significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Where are you based,

I'm happy to give you a spin in the S2000 if you are interested. Its the most hardcore of the 3 though and doesn't like being driving on crappy dublin city roads, but much prefers the open country. It also sounds much better with the roof down than up, so if you test drive one, factor that in.

To people who car that it a convertable and a girls car, try 9000 rpm, 240hp rear wheel drive and no traction control and tyres that don't like the cold and wet much and you'll learn to realise it can more than bite you in the ass, esspecially the 99-01 models

Its also loud above 120kph, although I am getting a hardtop this weekend so should help

Don't buy one over here - Look on www.s2ki.com - UK for sale form - much better cars looked after by true enthusiasts. Thats where I got mine from

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Of those three I'd take the S2000. As a daily car, I'd try and source a hard top for it

Alternative: an early SLK AMG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Once other thing, do you listen to the stereo - If so be aware that on the motorway you can hardly hear it in the S2000. I'm going to have to put quite a few more speakers in it next spring just to make it audable again

• Advertisement

I think you need to put down that "Girlzone" cd and go listen to a non moded 350z - they sound fantastic ! :D

How did you know I was listening to Girlzone!!!??? Are you watching me???

;)

Mayshine wrote: »
    To people who car that it a convertable and a girls car, try 9000 rpm, 240hp rear wheel drive and no traction control and tyres that don't like the cold and wet much and you'll learn to realise it can more than bite you in the ass, esspecially the 99-01 models

That'll be me then :D

To be honest I've always loved the S2000 but any car with the top down just looks a bit...oh I don't know...vain? Too vain perhaps!!??

It's not that important to be honest. It's a great car...I've driven one. I still have a perference for large straight six beamer engines and I didn't like the noise from the honda all that much - bit whiny...but I'm being pedantic. No doubt it's a great drivers car.

I'd still go RX8 though...buying a 3-4 year old model as will have taken majority of the hit on depreciation!!

And as much as I try I just can't like those Nissans. They're far uglier than the Mazda in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

have you considered buying one of these,
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=764824
    Now thats what i'd call rare

Now if i was in your position i would buy myself this
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=783807
    420bhp from a 2.7 engine and i can guarantee you its interior and ride comfort are far better than any japanese.

But out of those 3 cars id choose the rx 8

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I haven't read the whole thread but Nissan for me- I think it's understated and sleek. Road tax is road tax- it's not the end of the world. At 2.8, I'm nealy at the max and it's a necessary evil if you have a nice car.

Advertisement