Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

email applications from 3 x series..con artists

• 23-10-2007 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Just got it officially confirmed by 3 that they do not support or allow access to gmail and yahoo using the standard phone email client. You have to get an x series phone and download the new app. and subscribe to x series also. Thus, they have restricted a whole load of internet access (RSS, dowlaoding of apps. etc.) to force you to buy x series. What a bunch of wonkers.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Gmail or Flurry both worked fine for me on their 100Mb package before I upgraded to the X series for the other extras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I cancelled my mobile broadband thing a month ago and Google's app worked fine then. Either they have changed something recently or (more likely) Thrindia don't know what they're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I have the 100mb add on but access stopped at the same time as they added the new internet warning message. I suspected they wanted everyone to move over to X series as it costs 10 euro more a month. The only workaround I have is to access the web mail directly from the browser. Note you can't download stuff any more, getting invalid application messages. They are cowboys. What's the point of having a phone if you can only do what they want you to? I know they subsidise them, but not that much. Check out what phones you can get in the UK on a contract and how much they cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ashleey wrote: »
    I have the 100mb add on but access stopped at the same time as they added the new internet warning message. I suspected they wanted everyone to move over to X series as it costs 10 euro more a month. The only workaround I have is to access the web mail directly from the browser. Note you can't download stuff any more, getting invalid application messages. They are cowboys. What's the point of having a phone if you can only do what they want you to? I know they subsidise them, but not that much. Check out what phones you can get in the UK on a contract and how much they cost.

the gmail application works fine for me but they are indeed cowboys. i'd advise you give them a call,ask to speak to the technical team and explain the issue. before calling, take out your battery and sim and put them back in because they will definitely ask you to do that. make sure you tell them over and over again that it works for everyone else because they will probably tell you they don't support it. with any luck, a month from now they'll have fixed the problem.

by the way, i haven't seen that warning in about two weeks and the service got a lot better about the same time

also, try downloading opera mini from http://mini.opera.com and see if that works. i think the problem i had was to do with java apps not working in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

yes many of the pages/sites blocked with that "internet powered by yahoo, this webpage is unavailable to view" work perfectly using opera mini

• Advertisement

Note that you can't download anything directly from your phone now, you have to do it via your pc and transfer the files to your phone. I did speak to one of their 'technical support' staff who joined me in laughing when I asked if 3's new policy was an improvement for its subscribers. I can access my email via a browser but it's pretty dumb when you already have a useful client on the phone that 3's internet policy now renders useless. I have also changed phones from an N73 (slow but good screen) to a K610i (way better bluetooth link with car) that I debranded with wotanserver to get rid of all that rubbish 3 stuff. Still no email joy though, so it is definitely their network policy.

i just used the gmail application and downloaded an application to my phone so its definitely not their network policy. You moved your sim from one phone to another. If your account is not set up properly, changing your phone won't affect anything. It took me over three weeks of almost daily calls to get them to set up my account properly. Don't let them fob you off and lie to you

I hear what you say. I'll persevere. It seems they definitely aren't keen for people to do this though. Appreciate all the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭crc

I just switched to 3 (signed a 12 month contract :( ). I noticed that GMail didn't work through the e-mail client (Nokia E65), but I thought initially that was because I had set it up incorrectly.

What's the point in having a 3G network?

As an aside, I also wanted then to port my number (from Vodafone), but so far it hasn't happened and it's already been 5 days.

It seems that 3G to them means look at 3 branded stuff, everything else is not allowed (remember the 'walled garden'?). I don't want ' hilarious' ringtones, music (I use iTunes and my Ipod), 'funny' pictures, or to have to pay to watch TV on a screen that small. I would like my email when I'm away, and not have to take 5 mins going through the webmail interface and scan a few sites when necessary. I pay for the 100mb add on. It used to work fine then about a month ago it stopped. I never once used my full allowance so I'm not a heavy user. I suspect though that as I don't live in a 3G area, I've used data whilst effectively roaming on o2s transmitters and I'm now on some list. Now I can't manage email attachments properly. They are useless.

• Advertisement

crc wrote: »
    I just switched to 3 (signed a 12 month contract :( ). I noticed that GMail didn't work through the e-mail client (Nokia E65), but I thought initially that was because I had set it up incorrectly.

What's the point in having a 3G network?

As an aside, I also wanted then to port my number (from Vodafone), but so far it hasn't happened and it's already been 5 days.

yeah its quite normal for them not to port numbers for ages. rest assured that the gmail client does work because i used it today. ashleey's account is just having the problems that everyone was having since the 17th of september. they seem to be gradually fixing everyone's and as happens with 3 its taking ages. they may not be fixing it for anyone except the people who call.

ashleey, do you still get that warning that the internet costs 49c a mb if you don't have an add-on every time you open the browser? all my problems with the service went away the same day that warning did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

what the last poster said just summed them up pretty sweetly......:D

i cancelled my (useless) unlimited bb a week ago, dont use it no more, if they go billing me next month for it i am going to call the guards.....!!!

It used to come up every time I browsed though, not once a week as stated. Now it is once a week I think but I still haven't got proper access. I'll pester them some more (waiting for a call back from India today). Unfortunately, the last person I spoke to seemed to know what he was talking about and still couldn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Ashleey, Just ask them to escalate the problem to Tech support. Had all of the same problems as did most of the 3 users on here. I had to keep calling them until eventually they *finally* unblocked all of the stuff I wanted to use, IE: Java related internet apps, and Pop3 other than the crappy 3mail that they charge you extra for using.
    Pop3 finally works for me but it takes an age to connect to the server unless I'm using wifi. It's working tho, and I dont mind having to wait, it beats the crap out of having to pay 3 to use their 3mail.

They offer the best tariffs, so I suppose there has to be a trade off somewhere

Good luck ashleey :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

tallus wrote: »
    Ashleey, Just ask them to escalate the problem to Tech support. Had all of the same problems as did most of the 3 users on here. I had to keep calling them until eventually they *finally* unblocked all of the stuff I wanted to use, IE: Java related internet apps, and Pop3 other than the crappy 3mail that they charge you extra for using.
    Pop3 finally works for me but it takes an age to connect to the server unless I'm using wifi. It's working tho, and I dont mind having to wait, it beats the crap out of having to pay 3 to use their 3mail.

surely having to beg for a proper service is just not right!? imagine buying a car but having to ask the salesman to fit wheels wiper blades etc to it and being told they are not part of the deal!

I can now download apps to my phone, after spelling everything out in an email yesterday. They haven't called me but things are better. Still no email though from yahoo on the sony client. As an aside the 3 prepay k610i that I now use with my pay monthly sim instead of my original N73 Nokia is a way faster phone. Only drawback is the rubbish camera.

surely having to beg for a proper service is just not right!? imagine buying a car but having to ask the salesman to fit wheels wiper blades etc to it and being told they are not part of the deal!
    Be that as it may i no longer have problems with my service. Until the next round of foul ups heh. Im not goingi to whinge if the service now works for me

Advertisement