Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Kerry

Options
  • 23-10-2007 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All,

The expertise and all advice from the Locals would be much appreciated, some friends are thinking of re-locating to Kerry from the US, neither parent have any connection to the County but it appeals to them, want to give the kids all the best that Kerry can offer - sea, sports, education, music, community...have asked me (lol) for advice, so can you help?

They are looking for a medium town or to live in proximity to a medium size town, Listowel - of course - is considered, any other suggestions. I think they will rent initially but then buy when they find the right place.

Many thanks,
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

If I were moving to Kerry I'd be looking towards Ballybunion but it seems to me the houses around there are overpriced.

Listowel seems like a fine choice to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Hmmm there are lovely spots, depends on house prices really. In an ideal world Id move to somewhere like Kenmare, not too far from Killarney but a stunning spot, pricey though. Personally, I go for a smaller village, somewhere like Fenit, but that would not be great for teenagers or an age like that, people who are not driving etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

I know a couple really well who did that. Re-located to Kerry from Chicago, they're living near Killorglin, the first 3 years we're really tough tho. Make sure they know that. It's not like it is when you come on holidays and a hell of a lot of people can be very unwelcoming!!! Not all happy families. My advice, get stuck in and get involved in the community as much as possible, show the locals that you're interested and want to get to know them genuinely!
    Best of luck to them tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

MarRosa wrote: »

I think they will rent initially but then buy when they find the right place.

Many thanks,
    M

But its our land. We have worked those fields for generations:D

Go Home Yank! Do You Hear Me Yank? Go Home!

• Advertisement

lol! Tom that might have come across better in quotes ;)

Anyway, it appears the OP joined up for that one post and hasnt returned. Probably not going to be a regular contributer it seems!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Go Home Yank! Do You Hear Me Yank? Go Home!

Are Canadians welcome? :D

I'll coach a local kids soccer team. Promise.

Are Canadians welcome? :D

I'll coach a local kids soccer team. Promise.

Just to clarify Brian I was referring to the play 'the field' written by one of Kerry's legends John B Keane. Great movie too with Richard Harris and John Hurt.

But in all fairness Brian 'A Canadian Soccer Coach'

Maybe you can try to get funding to build an ice-rink and get the kids playing ice-hockey down there.

Causeway would be the a great location. The hurling capital of Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Causeway would be the a great location. The hurling capital of Ireland!
    Ha...A lot of North Kerry people might beg to differ!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

I moved from the midlands to tralee,
    clannish sort of people down here.
    my advice is to move to a village where u have a chance of meeting some people.
    But its a lovely place for summers as regards going to the beach and culture sort of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Why not Killarney- lots of americans there in the summer so wouldn't be too hard to adjust. great schools and scenery. Ballbunnion is dead for the winter whereas Killarney has a nice buzz all year round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Oceana2u

I don't think people there are any more or less "clannish" than people are everywhere. It's a lovely county and so long as you are willing to make an effort to integrate - just as you would need to do anywhere - you will be made very welcome.

You could halve the time it would normally take to integrate by starting every sentence with the word "Yerra" and ending every sentence with "jew-noooooo". That will make you a big hit and you will get invitations to every private session and public event in the parish. For example if somebody asks "How long do you intend staying?" the correct reply would be "Yerra forever... jew-noooooo".

Trust me. I'm originally from Kerry... I know these things. :rolleyes:

Best of luck to your friends,

Oceana

Oceana2u wrote: »
    You could halve the time it would normally take to integrate by starting every sentence with the word "Yerra" and ending every sentence with "jew-noooooo".

For example if somebody asks "How long do you intend staying?" the correct reply would be "Yerra forever... jew-noooooo".

:D

I've never noticed the "jew-noooooo" thing, but I have noticed Yerra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I don't think people there are any more or less "clannish" than people are everywhere. It's a lovely county and so long as you are willing to make an effort to integrate - just as you would need to do anywhere - you will be made very welcome.

You could halve the time it would normally take to integrate by starting every sentence with the word "Yerra" and ending every sentence with "jew-noooooo". That will make you a big hit and you will get invitations to every private session and public event in the parish. For example if somebody asks "How long do you intend staying?" the correct reply would be "Yerra forever... jew-noooooo".

Trust me. I'm originally from Kerry... I know these things. :rolleyes:

Best of luck to your friends,

Oceana

I see your location is now West Cork, in my opinion there is very little difference between West Cork and Kerry, both beautiful places. :cool:

This thread has been sooooooo funny to read. I have been in stitches for the past half hour. But I think I must have got really old in just a few years 'cause I don't know any of the places being mentioned, especially the pubs.

My memories of Tralee are the big colourful variety of sweets in Woolworths and The Baker's Oven in the Russel Arcade - and the gust of warm air as you entered - and Hurleys Book Shop and the Rollerdrome in Horan's. Oh and hours in the Allegro Grill eye'ing up the talent. :)

I think I've been making my way back slowly to Kerry since I left years ago. Now I'm in West Cork but the Kenmare area seems to be drawing me ever closer. What is it about Kerry that draws you to it..... it's a little bit of magic I think.

But there are a few small aspects of life there that I don't really want to ever encounter if I DO move back. From what I can tell South Kerry is a bit more cosmopolitan and not as inward-looking as some pockets of North Kerry. I'm originally from North Kerry btw so I'm not in any way insulting the area.... in fact I love it. But a region can be like a person I think - in that you can love it but you could never live with it. I know what it is I'd like to avoid but it's hard to find the right words to describe it.

Anyway, does anyone else notice the difference in mind-set between the North and the South, and if so how would you describe it?

Oceana

But there are a few small aspects of life there that I don't really want to ever encounter if I DO move back. From what I can tell South Kerry is a bit more cosmopolitan and not as inward-looking as some pockets of North Kerry. I'm originally from North Kerry btw so I'm not in any way insulting the area.... in fact I love it. But a region can be like a person I think - in that you can love it but you could never live with it. I know what it is I'd like to avoid but it's hard to find the right words to describe it.

Anyway, does anyone else notice the difference in mind-set between the North and the South, and if so how would you describe it?

Oceana

Yerra, I'm very interested in seeing how people answer that question, jew-nooooo?

:D

LOL ..... I walked straight into that one !! :o

And this post was really meant for the "Tralee Thread"... don't know how it ended up here. :eek:

My memories of Tralee are the big colourful variety of sweets in Woolworths and The Baker's Oven in the Russel Arcade - and the gust of warm air as you entered - and Hurleys Book Shop and the Rollerdrome in Horan's. Oh and hours in the Allegro Grill eye'ing up the talent. :)

Oceana

With memories like that, you are really showing off your age. :p

When you referred to North and South. I presume you mean North Kerry and South Kerry ?.
    My father, who comes from West Cork originally, always says that North Kerry should be a part of Limerick, and South Kerry should be a part of Cork. And that there should be no need for County Kerry at all, at all. :eek:
    In that case, I would be a Limerick person :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

in that case... is that a gun in your pocket or are you just glad to see me ? :eek:

Seriously though, I think I heard that analogy before and it probably has a ring of truth to it. I really love the literary tradition of North Kerry, love the way they string sentences together (by "they" I mean the folks who never left and whose language remained purely local) and I definitely inherited a very patriotic streak that stems from the Republican tradition of North Kerry which continues into Limerick.

In recent years I've felt a close affinity with South Kerry though. When I looked into my family tree last year I discovered that a few generations ago my father's ancestors had been evicted from their little farm holding in Kenmare, (I guess it must have affected their credit rating ;) )and they took to the road and ended up in Ballymac where my father and his father/grandfather etc. grew up. I was particularly close to my father, especially in the year before he died... so maybe the place never left us even if we left it... and could it really be calling me back?

I really wonder...... :confused:

Oceana

.. so maybe the place never left us even if we left it... and could it really be calling me back?

I really wonder...... :confused: Oceana

There is a saying, I can't remember exactly how it goes.
    You can take a country man out of the ? --- but you cant take the ? out of the country man.

• Advertisement

And this post was really meant for the "Tralee Thread"... don't know how it ended up here. :eek:

Copied. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

Why not consider the Keel region, very central, 15 / 20 mins to Tralee /Killarney / 10 mins to Killorglin and 15k to the airport. nice place although property can be pricey. :rolleyes:

440Hz wrote: »
    Copied. :)

Thanx "A" :)

Thanx "A" :)

heehee! All my time on here, and noone ever called me that. In fact, I usually get questions about the meaning. :)

So what does 440Hz mean?

Makes me think of the radio for some reason.

I'd say that's mega, Snow... no not that I think your posting's mega, just that it's probably megaHz that's you're thinking of.

dh0661, when I lived in Dublin they used to say "you can take the girl out of the gutter but you can't take the gutter out of the girl"... it was a bit derogatory, kind of b_tching that they thought someone was acting above their station. I never liked that phrase 'cause I don't believe in anyone having a "station". The equivalent in Kerry when I was growing up was "you can take the man out of the bog but you can't take the bog out of the man" ... same idea, maybe if he was in a suit but eating his dinner with a pitch fork they'd say it (??!!) Actually I wonder why in the city it's usually said about women but in the country about men... gawd I wonder why I do a lot of wondering on this thread, I must get out more

Keel sounds like a handy place. Is it near the coast?

Oceana

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

its quiet close to inch strand not walking distance but acouple of minutes by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

So what does 440Hz mean?

Makes me think of the radio for some reason.
    440 hertz,like the rem song, whats the freqency kenneth?
    Its a computing thing il bet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

Keel has views of the mountains and the sea, the beach in inch , is about 3.5 miles long and is 5 minutes by car. The locals are fine with "blow-ins" as there have been a number of family's move into the area. also there are two fine bars, which is good for the social life!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tyther

maims3875 wrote: »
    Keel has views of the mountains and the sea, the beach in inch , is about 3.5 miles long and is 5 minutes by car. The locals are fine with "blow-ins" as there have been a number of family's move into the area. also there are two fine bars, which is good for the social life!;)

There are a few more than 2 fine pubs ,there are 4 in the main village and 2 more back the road near the church all great for a pint and a bit of craic.Also i think the new housing estate being built will be finished for mid summer.

Advertisement