Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell ordering trick

• 23-10-2007 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

Hey I am just wondering would you guys know if I order a vostro this thursday before they change the deals on them would I be able to cancel the order and place a new order if I find out that the new deals are better the following day?? I am planning on going for the 1500 and currently you get €90 off it which is a fairly good deal, but I'm wondering what deals they will have next month. You would think they would either be the same or better, but all too often with dell I have seen worse deals come out after fairly good ones.

Also does anyone know if those magezines you get sent out if you have baought from dell before give you better deals then those available to the general public on the website?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't know if that would work but it might. The dell deal next month will probably be something like free delivery. I doubt it would be much better than €90 off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

As far as I know, if you order a system they will hold it for 5 days. The offers that were in place when you ordered will still apply to the system wven if they have ceased in the meantime.

You should place an order on the last day of the offers and then you can see if better offers appear in the meantime. If they do, you can always cancel the 1st order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Ok cool, I will place the order if I can get the money together then. Does anyone know when the last day for this offer is? Is Wednesday the last day and they have new offers on Thursday, or is Thursday the last do for this offer and they have new offers on the Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Better safe than sorry. Do it on Wednesday so that your sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

just be careful as dell vostro's are under business warranty, and they wont let you return it unless there is a problem with it.

you dont get the 21 day return policy as with home customers.

• Advertisement

Ok cheers, I was actually going to cancel the order before they ship the laptop if the new offer was better, do you think that is possible?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You should still be covered by the 7 day cooling off period that applies for all things bought over the internet or mail order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

when is the offer ending, this week? or is it the 1st as in next week?

Its either over this Thurday or this Friday.

So has the time from order to delivery leveled out to a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Ordered one yesterday, delivery date is the 6th apparently. So a week-and-a-half really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Surewhynot

Does anyone know what's the deal with dell's "small business" laptops? If I order one, will dell actually ask or cop it if I own/work in a small business etc? i.e Can a simple home user buy one?

Surewhynot wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's the deal with dell's "small business" laptops? If I order one, will dell actually ask or cop it if I own/work in a small business etc? i.e Can a simple home user buy one?

Yes a home user can purchase these. You do not need to own a company to by these.

Yes a home user can purchase these. You do not need to own a company to by these.

Thanks! That is utterly amazing. In that case I'm going to get one of those vostro 1000s. Sure it's only €299 (ex vat and shippng), and in the life of a student the price is the most important thing. Course it's probably ****e!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

When you add on the VAT and shipping, its not as cheap as you think, could be around the 420 mark and if your a student, maybe another 100-150 to ensure all you want as you will probably be using it for long time to come. It is an investment for you

TheDriver wrote: »
    When you add on the VAT and shipping, its not as cheap as you think, could be around the 420 mark and if your a student, maybe another 100-150 to ensure all you want as you will probably be using it for long time to come. It is an investment for you

Yeah that's a good point. I'd have to go off and buy microsoft office as well. Works doesn't really do the job. But I still reckon it's the cheapest I could get!

you should be able to get the student edidtion or instead get the openoffice suite, exact same as office and its free. ASAIK, you can save things as same extensions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I just got a call from the friendly people at Dell asking me what I use my Vostro for... home/personal or business use... I was like uhmmmm.

Anyone else get this?

You should still be covered by the 7 day cooling off period that applies for all things bought over the internet or mail order.

7 days from ordering or 7 days from delivery?

With the Vostro's, they will not take them back. Under any circumstances, unless its their fault. Trust me, I got stung majorly.

karmabass wrote: »
    I just got a call from the friendly people at Dell asking me what I use my Vostro for... home/personal or business use... I was like uhmmmm.

Anyone else get this?

Yeah online you have to fill something out along those lines too, I said home , I don't know what I should have said though ????

• Advertisement

the survey is probably to see are home users buying the vostro more so and hence are they wasting time marketing inspirons when people only want vostros instead. I'd say some market research for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

I doubt they care at the end of the day,its money in there pockets,the only difference is if your a home user you can claim back the vat so its cheaper if you actually are vat regged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

no they don't care, if you really wanted they'd let you buy a poweredge 6600 series server for home use.

they'll sell ice to eskimos and sand to arabs without quibbling!

its more a market research thing.

If dell wanted to sell the vostro range to only business customers then they could ask for your vat number when you are buying it. The vostro is currently aimed at the business market. Going by this thread alone you can clearly see that is appeals to more than just business users. They are probably considering adding it to the home part of the site and marketing it as a laptop for home users.

As long as dell aren't losing money on it, then they would gladly sell them to any one who wants to buy it.

7 days from ordering or 7 days from delivery?

With the Vostro's, they will not take them back. Under any circumstances, unless its their fault. Trust me, I got stung majorly.

7 days from delivery. When you buy something in a shop you get to try it out and see what it's like. You don't have this option with thing you buy online or through mail order. So you have what's called a cooling off period to try out the product. If it's not what you expected then you can return it with in that cooling off period. You'll most likely have to pay for the postage charge for sending it back though.

See here for more details.

7 days from delivery. When you buy something in a shop you get to try it out and see what it's like. You don't have this option with thing you buy online or through mail order. So you have what's called a cooling off period to try out the product. If it's not what you expected then you can return it with in that cooling off period. You'll most likely have to pay for the postage charge for sending it back though.

See here for more details.

Dosen't apply with dell when it comes to business orders- it's in their T&C's. I argued it over and over with them.

OK so I ordered the Laptop on Wednesday . Last night the status changed to Dispatched. However since then it has been unable to tell me where the laptop actually is. It just tells me that "Your order is currently with the carrier and a detailed status on your delivery should be available shortly." I have been waiting over 12 hours now. I would not consider 12 hours "shortly" . Is this the same thing that happened to other people?

Dosen't apply with dell when it comes to business orders- it's in their T&C's. I argued it over and over with them.

Yeah I am fairly sure your right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

That order status normally stays the same untill its delivered when it then states delivered.

If you ring interlink quoting your order number they'l tell you exactly where it is

• Advertisement

OK so I ordered the Laptop on Wednesday . Last night the status changed to Dispatched. However since then it has been unable to tell me where the laptop actually is. It just tells me that "Your order is currently with the carrier and a detailed status on your delivery should be available shortly." I have been waiting over 12 hours now. I would not consider 12 hours "shortly" . Is this the same thing that happened to other people?

Yeah, the "detailed status" never appears I'm afraid, even after it's been delivered. I found myself wondering the same thing!

Lol ok, I have nothing to be worried about. Damn long weekend means I have to wait an extra day :P .

Advertisement