Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A very special dress!

• 23-10-2007 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Would very much appreciate your help here. Luckily I'm getting married abroad at Christmas, will be booking it this week, either the Carribean or Sri Lanka - somewhere warm and beachy! Its all a bit impromptu and low key - just myself, Mr Man and maybe some close friends.
    Now, I'm looking for a really great dress, doesn't have to be white, patterned would do or whatever, am prepared to spend up to €500 or thereabouts, also no snob about cheapies.
    Could be a cocktail dress, or a wedding type dress I could dye after, but its gotta be fantastic... A cool silk floaty maxi dress like they had in julienne a few months back would also do the job...
    My style is usually quite funky, I like style, open to ideas... do any of you fashionable people have any cool ideas, shop suggestions or links?

Thankyou so so much :)

Will also post in weddings area, but posting here cause style matters more than formality... cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Coast have some stunning dresses in at the moment. Aww good luck with your special day, sounds lovely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

You could try BT's - I got married last December and got something in Ghost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Oh yeah I knew I had somewhere else in my head, Ghost have some amazing dresses OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Gemini Sister

Thanks Girls! I checked out coast online, will pop into BTs tomorrow evening - funny how you forget the obvious!

Cheers ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

there's a wee dress shop down the back of stephens green, always ha stunning dresses in it...passed the gaeity, sorta on the corner of the road that turns down to Miss Fantasia...or around georges arcade, inside and a little retro classic dress shop just up the road from it, there's a few cool dress shops in that area!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭curiousxxx1

Have you tried Karen Millen? They do have fantastic dresses... and with what you want they could do the trick, they have new styles in. Dont check their website-crap go to the store on Grafton St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ClauClau

There's a few places in the powerscourt shopping centre, they have some nice ones, T.K.Maxx can have the odd nice cheapie - I got my debs dress there n i know people who paid more than 500 for theirs! Julien in Stephens green is always changing their stock, i used to work in the boots opposite it. There's one off grafton street as well, in between it and dawson street i think in a sort of shopping centre, really unusual ones. I forget the name of it but i'm sure you'd find it, if you walk towards stephens green from marks and spencers theres another alley there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

http://www.formalgownsdirect.co.uk/

Their dresses are made to measure. You mentioned a long floaty dress..
    http://www.formalgownsdirect.co.uk/Prom%2006201.htm
    This is the dress I got for my debs..you can get it in 52 colours. Mine is the colour shown, though it's not as purpley as the picture.
    Thr front is different from the picture when it's not windblown- http://file035b.bebo.com/6/large/2007/09/05/11/213139258a5473694707l.jpg
    It cost €171 I think. Anyway yeah, just have to plug that dress..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dori Duz

First of all, congratulations. I hope you have a great wedding and an even better marraige!!

Ghost have fab stuff at the moment, as CathyMoran said.
    Personally, I love Monsoon. Their stuff is so well cut and really flattering.

I would be wary of buying in Coast, however. Don't get me wrong, I love their stuff. But everyone seems to buy there for a formal occasion. The last wedding I was at five girls were wearing the same coast dress, some in different colours!! At the one before that two girls had the same dress on. You don't want all your friends looking at your Wedding pics saying " oh, my daughter/ sister/ cousin/ friend has that dress!"

You should think about booking an appointment with a personal shopper in B.T.s who will give you a good idea of the range they have on offer. You won't have to buy there but you'll get a good idea of the kind of thing yu really want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Gemini Sister

Dori Duz wrote: »
    First of all, congratulations. I hope you have a great wedding and an even better marraige!!

Ghost have fab stuff at the moment, as CathyMoran said.
    Personally, I love Monsoon. Their stuff is so well cut and really flattering.

I would be wary of buying in Coast, however. Don't get me wrong, I love their stuff. But everyone seems to buy there for a formal occasion. The last wedding I was at five girls were wearing the same coast dress, some in different colours!! At the one before that two girls had the same dress on. You don't want all your friends looking at your Wedding pics saying " oh, my daughter/ sister/ cousin/ friend has that dress!"

You should think about booking an appointment with a personal shopper in B.T.s who will give you a good idea of the range they have on offer. You won't have to buy there but you'll get a good idea of the kind of thing yu really want.

Yeah good thinking! It hadn't occurred to me that I might run that risk! :eek:

Anyway, shall follow up all your suggestions tomorrow - Corruptmorals - that dress is so cute!

Thanks everyone! xxxx :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 woodyrocks

Julien Macdonald has a couple of gorge items in his diffusion line at Debenhams. If you have the grit to hack it, you could also trawl through Yoox. Costume National normally have some gorge dresses in suitable colour blocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 riga

didnt find the BT personal shopper very good. used an independent one who covered the whole of grafton street with me and ended up in dundrum!! it was fab and even fun...check out www.rubyseven.ie ...the girls name was mary and she was gr8

Advertisement