Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ski Boots

• 23-10-2007 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I was wondering where is the best place to get a pair of ski boots in Ireland.

Is the internet an absolute no go in terms of getting a pair that fit prefectly etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Do not buy your first pair of ski boots online, and even after that you'd need to be pretty sure about the fit of the different brands before doing so. The boots are the most important bit of kit that you'll have for skiing so it's well worth making sure they are exactly right.

The Great Outdoors sell boots and I think I saw that they had the heat moulding thing-u-me-jig for the insides as well last time I was in there. Make sure you wear the socks that you'd be wearing for skiing in though when going to get boots fitted, I was also told that it's better to go in the morning rather than the end of the day as your feet will be larger at the end day and that would effect the fitting also.

I'd recommend getting boots in resort though rather than buying in Ireland. They will most likely be cheaper, know more about what they are fitting you with, have a better range to choose from and you can also go back to them if there is any problems and get them sorted imediately. It might end up costing you a day or so of boot rental though unless you buy them on the first morning but I'd still say it's better than buying in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

i'd agree with robinph, forget the internet, one thing to think about..

it might be worth a quick day trip to london to get a pair (snowandrock) then come back and "Break" them in around the house.

don't know what great outdoors' selection is like, but try them you never know you might be lucky.

take your time in getting a pair they'll last you a long time:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

De_man wrote: »
    don't know what great outdoors' selection is like

Nothing but Salomon - was in there today for something else but had a nose at the ski gear while I was waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Its early yet though for Great Outdoors, give it till mid November they should be in full swing by then, but as Robinph said I would just get them at the resort, much better selection and a very good chance they will be cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

Nothing but Salomon - was in there today for something else but had a nose at the ski gear while I was waiting.

have always used Salomon boots very comfortable for me must start thinking
    of changing them have already got the re-healed and soled twice:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I disagree with the internet thing,
    personally I'd either get them in a resort or try them on in a shop here and when you know the model and size you like buy them cheaper online.

Just mke sure you've broken them in before you hit the slopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

id say stay alway from the internet even if you know exactly what you want to buy because the pair u try on in a shop could be slightly different from what you buy online and an uncomfortable pair of ski boots will ruin any holiday...buying in the resort would be the best bet id say really they are cheaper and your dealing with people with a lot more knowledge about what u need

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Most boots now should require some form of moulding process to be carried out on the insole though, so even if you know the exact make, model and size that you want and so buy them via the internet you would still need to take them along to a shop before they will fit completely right. Buy in resort FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Get em in resort. In Austria I have often come across shops that will allow you to wear different models from their hire range and at the end of the week you can buy the pair (new) which suit you best. They even discount the rental you paid from the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

Yeah don't buy them online, unless you can get fitted for them in a shop and know exactly what you need. If you are going on holidays to the snow, you can buy them at the resort, one of my friends bought his skis at the resort last year and they gave him a free weeks ski rental too ! So remember you can bargin !

• Advertisement
Advertisement