Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So I got a renewal of motor tax reminder in the post

Options
  • 23-10-2007 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

My 3 month motor tax ran out at the end of August.

I ticked option 4.
    The vehicle is still in my possession but not in use on a public road because

Now, why do they need to know WHY I'm not using my car and eepriving them of much needed tax money? In the UK the sentence would have ended right in front of "because".

So I had to finish the option:
    The vehicle is still in my possession but not in use on a public road because of the high cost of motor tax in this country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Sabre Man wrote: »

I ticked option 4.

Now, why do they need to know WHY I'm not using my car and eepriving them of much needed tax money? In the UK the sentence would have ended right in front of "because".

The vehicle is still in my possession but not in use on a public road because of the high cost of motor tax in this country.

It is high but you still have to pay it or your car will be impounded if caught with expired tax over 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

In the UK the sentence would have ended right in front of "because".

I think you're right here! I'll check tonight, I got my tax reminder in the post a month ago and I remember that section but I don't remember them asking why the vehicle is off the road. I'll have a look again tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

drdre wrote: »
    It is high but you still have to pay it or your car will be impounded if caught with expired tax over 2 months.

Unless, as stated that it's not on a public road. Never heard of Customs impounding vehicles off people's driveways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I ticked option 4.

Who knows why they need to know! But what do you care? And why mention what the UK form has on it. It's got nothing to do with us. Maybe there's some chap in the UK going "look what's on the Ireland form! Why can't I put a reason?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

My mate got this form too, and his car was off the road for about 2 months after the tax was up.

He ticked the box "off the road but still in my possession" because he was out of the country on business, and also ticked the box "applying for new tax disc" plus filled out the back. Also filled in original tax form he got a couple months previously. Went into cop shop, declared car was off road and they stamped the back of form no problem. Went to tax office same day. Didn't even question it. Once he had both forms filled out and signed and the stamp from the gardai he was fine. Got a new tax disc for 6 months, and was not backdated.

From talking with a Garda friend a few years ago, the gardai can have a car on a public road impounded for non payment of road tax. It used be 3 months. Not sure what it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Checked into this before.

With road tax, its fine if its OFF THE ROAD.. as in not in use on public roads. e.g. farmers dont pay road tax on a farm car as it never leaves their land.

with vehicle registration tax its different. you have to pay the VRT once its in the country, even if its off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

yep..unlike the UK a car can be impounded here after 3 months.
    Recent article on some Strictly dancing or some ****e like that..a contestant forgot to tax her tax while on the show...it expired 3 days later..warden gave it a ticket...24 hours later it was impounded...1 week later due to non collection it was crushed... tough luck for her..bit over the top though.

Here I regularly drive during the summer months with no tax..since there's now a traffic corp the real cops don't give a damn about car tax...
    After 3 months takes the form into the cop shop and they sign it off without a ?
    Sweet..as for those ppl who say it's illegal to drive on the road without tax..screw em..i pay well over the odds on tax on my income and goods..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

as for those ppl who say it's illegal to drive on the road without tax..screw em..i pay well over the odds on tax on my income and goods..
    ...and the rest of us law abiding citizens have to pay more to compensate for you spongers! :(
    craichoe wrote:
    farmers dont pay road tax on a farm car as it never leaves their land
    Ah yes, all farms come with their own schools, shops, churches, pubs, hospitals, etc. Sure there's no need for the car to be brought out onto a public road! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yep..unlike the UK a car can be impounded here after 3 months.
    Recent article on some Strictly dancing or some ****e like that..a contestant forgot to tax her tax while on the show...it expired 3 days later..warden gave it a ticket...24 hours later it was impounded...1 week later due to non collection it was crushed... tough luck for her..bit over the top though.

Here I regularly drive during the summer months with no tax..since there's now a traffic corp the real cops don't give a damn about car tax...
    After 3 months takes the form into the cop shop and they sign it off without a ?
    Sweet..as for those ppl who say it's illegal to drive on the road without tax..screw em..i pay well over the odds on tax on my income and goods..
    It can be impounded after 2 months now as the guard told me last month that the law has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

drdre wrote: »

Not when it's not on a public road AND not in use.

Actually, the wording is "not in use on a public road", so can the car be left unused on a public road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Who knows why they need to know! But what do you care? And why mention what the UK form has on it. It's got nothing to do with us. Maybe there's some chap in the UK going "look what's on the Ireland form! Why can't I put a reason?"

My point is why should you have to state why you're not using your car? The only information needed it that it's not in use or on a public road. That's all they really need to know. They don't need to know if you're not using the car because it's being restored, because it's broken down and waiting for a spare part, because you've got 14 cars and don't need to use this one regularly, etc.

In my case it's my second car for use during the summer only. Pity we didn't have that season this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

In which case, just completely ignore it. Exactly what I did when my car was off the road last year, no Gards turned up at my door, no threatning phone calls from Shannon, absolutely no action taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the wording is "not in use on a public road", so can the car be left unused on a public road?
    No, it must be off the public road and on private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

In the UK the sentence would have ended right in front of "because".
    Thats because in the UK you have to fill out a separate statutary off road notification - SORN.
    No tax & no SORN then you could face an automatic penalty, further fines or your vehicle could be clamped, towed away or even crushed.
    Car doesnt have to seen on road either, DVLA records suffice for proof of offence committed.

So no, it's not softer there.

...and the rest of us law abiding citizens have to pay more to compensate for you spongers!

Bull****...there's a set price each year for tax. Do some reading before posting stupid comments like above.
    I'm on about road tax not PAYE which I do pay ..and a fvckin lot of it I might add..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Bull****...there's a set price each year for tax. Do some reading before posting stupid comments like above.
    I'm on about road tax not PAYE which I do pay ..and a fvckin lot of it I might add..

So what's the deal with your insurance if you crash into someone or someone crashes into you? Are you covered if the vehicle isn't taxed to be on the road? I guess you've looked into this because you are happy to take a (calculated?) risk.

For the record, I pay my car tax and don't agree with those who don't but I'm not having a go at you, the question is genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

My car tax runs out at the end of December at which point its going into storage over the winter months until May when I will tax it again for 6 months. I have a second car which I use more and I only get to drive my other car on weekends if not working etc

r3nu4l wrote: »
    So what's the deal with your insurance if you crash into someone or someone crashes into you? Are you covered if the vehicle isn't taxed to be on the road? I guess you've looked into this because you are happy to take a (calculated?) risk.

For the record, I pay my car tax and don't agree with those who don't but I'm not having a go at you, the question is genuine.

fair enough...but insurance has nothing to do with the tax on your car.You can't tax a car without insurance or NCT (not always for nct) but you can still insure you car and still be insured.
    I bought my car new and I insured it from collection. I couldn't tax it while waiting for the log books etc but my insurer still said I was covered.
    The reason I'm bitching about car tax is that I paid 28.5k for my car.
    25% of that was VRT and another 20% or so in VAT.
    I don't mind VAT but VRT is an illegal tax. Were it not for VRT we'd all be driving brand new mercs etc every couple of years.
    It pissed me off when JC from Top Gear announces such and such a new car..eg new Audi TT...price in UK..starting at 22K.(approx 34K euro)
    Price in Ireland..starting at 52K.
    So tell me ..how is that fair??

Advertisement