Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Appearance and employment?

• 23-10-2007 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone could tell me, under U.K Law, what are the restrictions on appearance in employment? I have been wondering what they are relating to visible tattoos, and I have been asked in work (Dunnes STores, part time, retail assistant) why the Managers have not asked me to shave or cut my hair.

Serious answers, or a link to a thorough resource would be greatly appreciated.

Conor
    (Studying LLB Law)

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Conor, to be honest the convention on Human Rights is more in force in the UK than it is here. That said, I am not 100% on the various work legislation that is in force in the UK. I'd imagine the relevant legislation is the Race Relations Act 1976, or the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 or Employment Equality (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2003 (Sexual Orientation Regulations).

I know the UK labour laws are far more regulated than here, although the courts afford less protection to the employee as a result.

Advertisement