Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfie Byrne Road from Fairview

Options
  • 23-10-2007 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Why are cars not allowed to turn right here when it's clear and the pedestrian lights are red?

The straight ahead arrow lights up to allow cars continue on to Clontarf but the right turning filter stays off. Usually this would be to allow pedestrians cross (AB Rd), but the pedestrian lights are red.

The only other reason I can think of is to allow cars approaching from the Clontarf/Howth direction to turn left unimpeded onto Alfie Byrne Road. Why though would this be necessary off-peak?

I have to admit I'm a little bit bold and if it is clear I will ignore the signals. I don't see the reason for waiting for the green light.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I've never seen a cycle like that on that junction. Perhaps it's changed lately though, there was an unusually high amount of people running the red light when the pedestrian lights were green.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It's been a while since I was up there. Something else made me think of it today.

I'm usually up there late on a Saturday or Sunday evening coming from the Howth Road. The light turns green for straight ahead but not for turning right. The pedestrian lights for crossing Alfie Byrne road remain red.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is it possible that Alfie Byrne Road is closed to inbound traffic at certain times hence the 'straight on' green light?

That road used to be utilised by trucks leaving the boat and heading north. Any connection with the opening of the DPT?

There is no indication that it is closed and as far as i remember it does eventually turn green. After a long long wait and only momentarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

The light turns green eventually, and doesn't stay green for very long. I use this road everyday I've wondered the very same thing, it's strange alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes it's a weird one alright, I think the reasoning behind it is to allow the cars coming towards the city centre to merge onto the Alfie Byrne road easier as otherwise with the Bus Lane there would be a tail back to Howth Harbour. Strange though if this is happening off peak not much purpose for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

ballooba wrote: »
    Why are cars not allowed to turn right here when it's clear and the pedestrian lights are red?
    I use that junction every day and the wait for the right filter is not all that long and there's enough time for five or six vehicles to get through if they start promptly. I see many people just ignoring the filter every day.

I'll offer two theories:

1: Traffic coming from the Clontarf direction is usually breaking the speed limit & providing a dedicated filter for right-turning traffic, coming from Fairview, heading for the docks direction probably averts collisions.

2: Right-turning traffic (coming from Fairview, heading for Docks) queueing in the junction would obstruct traffic coming from the docks direction and turning right towards Clontarf. I've seen this jam up sometimes when people don't stop at the stop line.

Here's an aerial pic for anyone who is not familiar with the junction.

AlfieByrne-1.jpg

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who ignores the lights there. Avoiding collisions from speeding vehicles does not sound plausible. The one about making way for HGVs to manouveur may make sense, but not off peak. I find it very strange indeed. Maybe an email to Dublin City Council would clear up this mystery sequence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

It was originally introduced after a few bad crashes within weeks a couple of years ago. The coucil re-did the junction and added the extra lane for going straight. The city council also changed the bicycle and bus lane on the inbound side at this time. It took them around two goes and realigning the junction before the crashes stopped happening as driver incompetence meant all the traffic had to be streamed seperately. Stand at the bus stop just before the junction and watch for a while and you'll see why the lights have this sequence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I don't mean to hijack your thread Balloba, but does anyone go home towards Howth that way?

There is two lanes going right. The left lane ALWAYS moves faster than the right lane. I don't know why.

When the broken white lines end on the Dublin road (coast road) the some of the people in the right lane (who feel hard done by) drive as close to the car in front stopping the cars to the left of them from merging. There has been a number of fender benders and side on collisions here when the cars try to merge.

I always go in the left lane and try and (unsuccessfully) merge. Anyone else drive this route and come across the same proble

It was originally introduced after a few bad crashes within weeks a couple of years ago. The coucil re-did the junction and added the extra lane for going straight. The city council also changed the bicycle and bus lane on the inbound side at this time. It took them around two goes and realigning the junction before the crashes stopped happening as driver incompetence meant all the traffic had to be streamed seperately. Stand at the bus stop just before the junction and watch for a while and you'll see why the lights have this sequence.
    Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure I understand it, but I will have a look the next time I am up there. The junction doesn't look that complicated.

ballooba wrote: »
    The one about making way for HGVs to manouveur may make sense, but not off peak
    What is 'off peak' for the normal motorist may be peak time for trucks. The boats leave at all hours.

Advertisement