Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First boot....it works!

Options
  • 23-10-2007 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Typing this from my new home built PC. Works great, had one or two issues with hard drives while installing Vista but works great now.

Only two small issues that I can seem to fix...

Floppy Drive! Wont work! I have checked its data and power cable and they seem fine....yet it does not appear in the BIOS or in my computer

Sound: Again wont work, checked everything obvious....posted in the windows forum about it.

The spec of the machine....

Intel Core2Duo E4400 (2ghz) - akasa cooler&heatsink
    2x WD Cavair 500gb's
    2x LG DVD RW's
    XFX nviada 8500gs 256mb
    4gb RAM
    Corsair 450w PSU (even the packaging of it was amazing...)
    DVB-S Card
    LG 19" Widescreen TFT
    Xion Black Pearl II case....tonnes of fans

Will post pics of it later...

Enjoyed building it......this is my first build and I will definitely build more machines.....a very educational experience I must say!

Thanks to everyone here who has helped me on various aspects of it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Have you enabled floppy support in the bios? Most bios's dont have this option turned on from the go.

Same with the sound, does the board have onboard sound? and are you trying to use a sound card like a x-fi? If so, disable onboard sound in the bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Had a look in the bios...

Floppy was disabled, so that works now.

Sound is onboard sound. There is an option for it in the BIOS- "Auto" and "disabled". I have it set to "Auto"...yet still no sound :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Going to state the obvious here - You got your sound drivers installed and installed correctly? Is your soundcard appearing in Device Manager as "Working correctly.. " ?

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

And are the speakers plugged in properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DeX_Wizard

Reason it might not be pumping out sound
    1.Your speakers/Sound card might be faulty.
    2.Sound is Muted.
    3.Internal wiring faults in the speakers.

Try
    1.See is onboard sound working.
    2.Remove the card examine it for anything unusaul and stick it back in.

• Advertisement

It is on board audio. I have tried downloading drivers but to no sucess :(

I have emailed Gigabyte support to see if they can help me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Onboard sound driver is on the motherboard disk, did you install them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Another No-Brainer probably too... Make sure you are using the audio jacks at the rear of the PC (Motherboard Connectors) rather then the front audio jacks. Internal wiring as suggested already may be incorrectly wired.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If you can't get the sound drivers on the Gigabyte website, try the sound driver's individual website eg. Realtek/SoundMAX etc...

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    If you can't get the sound drivers on the Gigabyte website, try the sound driver's individual website eg. Realtek/SoundMAX etc...

I have tried this....still wont work!!

A disk came with the mobo, not compatible with vista though

EDIT- Seems one the drivers I install last night must have done the job....sound works now :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why did you get 4gb of ram but a relatively weak processor and an incredibly weak card? What do you use the machine for - is it a media center? Just curious. :)

HavoK wrote: »
    Why did you get 4gb of ram but a relatively weak processor and an incredibly weak card? What do you use the machine for - is it a media center? Just curious. :)

Dont do any gaming whatsoever, therefore quality of graphics is not important to me...... Same reason for only the 2ghz processor- dont have a need for anything stronger.

Reason behind the 4gb RAM is I like to have a fair few apps open at the same time and be able to switch between them instantly. In fact, I have used a friends 2.2ghz core2duo, Vista with only 2gb ram and it struggled to run the same apps I use regularly, all at once.

I use it for music/movies/web design/graphic and video authoring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Cool, just wondering!

Advertisement