Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway

Options
  • 23-10-2007 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi

I've searched for a similar thread but can't find one so here goes.

I will be moving to Galway on 5th November from England :D - I have a one way flight, no job, no place to live, no contacts over there :( and am looking for some words of wisdom/support:

accomm - I was planning on staying in a hostel until I found somewhere long term. Maybe thinking about Sleepzone or Kinlay House Hostel. Once I had got a job I think I could stick long-ish term the idea is then to rent somewhere sharin with others poss in Salthill/Knocknacarra.

job - am going to look for temp admin/secretarial work but will probably take anything to begin with just to get some money coming in. I do have some money saved up so not desparate for income.

contacts - i know one (unreliable) person who lives in Galway who is more an ex than a helpful friend. I also know one Canadian girl who lived in Galway over the summer but she's is off travelling now. I am concerned about lonliness (not to be confused with being alone) as I tend to crave human, social contact. I know it sounds immature but what is the best way to meet people/make friends etc when you're new to a place.

Any info, advice, support would be great on what to do/not do, places to go/avoid.

Thanks in advance
    Kate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

k-a-t-e wrote: »
    Hi

I've searched for a similar thread but can't find one so here goes.

I will be moving to Galway on 5th November from England :D - I have a one way flight, no job, no place to live, no contacts over there :( and am looking for some words of wisdom/support:
    Welcome and good luck, I was in a similar situation about a year ago.
    accomm - I was planning on staying in a hostel until I found somewhere long term. Maybe thinking about Sleepzone or Kinlay House Hostel. Once I had got a job I think I could stick long-ish term the idea is then to rent somewhere sharin with others poss in Salthill/Knocknacarra.
    Don't know much about hostels, but Salthill/Knocknacarra are nice places to live, if you don't mind being very slightly out of town (10-20 mins walk). Have a look for places on daft.ie or galwayadvertiser.ie (updated every wednesday). There can be a bit of competition for nice places so be quick, especially on Wednesdays!
    job - am going to look for temp admin/secretarial work but will probably take anything to begin with just to get some money coming in. I do have some money saved up so not desparate for income.

Don't know much about the jobs market I'm afraid. You might have to persevere - there are probably more jobs in tourism/services/hospitality then in business/IT etc. Try seeing if you can find any agencies around and again check galwayadvertiser.ie, irishjobs.ie, monster.ie etc.
    contacts - i know one (unreliable) person who lives in Galway who is more an ex than a helpful friend. I also know one Canadian girl who lived in Galway over the summer but she's is off travelling now. I am concerned about lonliness (not to be confused with being alone) as I tend to crave human, social contact. I know it sounds immature but what is the best way to meet people/make friends etc when you're new to a place.
    It can be surprisingly tricky to meet people in Galway despite the laid back nature of the place and the huge number of pubs. My gf has had a tough time meeting people since she moved here in May. I dunno, join a club or 2, go to gigs, come along to a Boards Beers night and meet the nerds. Prepare yourself for requests for pics :D

Best of luck with the move.

Least you have things planned out better than most people that come to Galway.

For accomodation the best places to check are the Galway Advertiser website's accomodation listing (probably the most used and best). This gets updated every wednesday, I think? Also check out Daft.ie as this is where I found my current accomodation.

The bonus that daft.ie has over the galway advertiser is that you can view pictures of some of the properties, but the advertiser always comes out tops on sheer volume.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sleepzone or the hostel in eyre sq would be grand. i can also rent out the left side of my bed.

i can also rent out the left side of my bed.

Great. I'll take it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭k-a-t-e

i can also rent out the left side of my bed.

Awaiting pictures;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sorry, taken by that bone arse dude, pain to sleep beside. So boney.
    However, he could be evicted provided pictures are messaged.

--
    Landlord

Sorry, taken by that bone arse dude, pain to sleep beside. So boney.
    However, he could be evicted provided pictures are messaged.

--
    Landlord

And probably cause I have a tendency to spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hey there, Im afraid Ive no tips for the accomodation other than whats given already, (except you shouldnt have too much of a prob now that the college rush is over)but if you are a fan of live gigs head to the Roisin or Deburgos and give me a shout, it is hard enough to meet new people I find, I know cornbb mentioned his girlfriend had that prob too.it's a nice city, you'll like it here. We're okay, we are...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I'm from England and just moved to Knockara area. Nice so far (only been here a week or so!) pick up the Galway advertiser when you get here its full of accomodation jobs so you should be able to find something pretty easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

My advice:

talk to anyone.

When i first arrived I would randomly talk to nearly everyone I meet. Usually it just resulted in a short, polite, throwaway conversation though I've also had bizaree conversations about the state of affairs with old men and where to get beer and what drugs people use in Galway from young skinheads.(I don't use drugs for the record)

However it also led me to meet 4 people I've gotten very friendly with, since meeting them I've gotten very lazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Why not place an advetr in the Accom Wanted section of the Galway Advertiser www.galwayadvertiser.ie

As mentioned elsewhere, www.daft.ie is a very good website for finding a place to live. There are photos of the apartments / houses so you will have a fair idea before you look.

With regard to finding work, there are always jobs available but you need to go knocking on doors. www.monster.ie is damn good. Send them your CV

Also, keep in mind that as nice as Knocknacarra is, there are less jobs on that side of the city. Most (I reckon 90%) of industry is on the east side of the city which is a 40 minute commute in morning traffic from Knocknacarra. I should know, I lived in Knocknacarra!!!!

And I know you didn't ask, but there is a great pub and cafe scene in Galway so you will meet new people vey quickly. A fair chunk of the population are 'blow ins' which makes the place very intersting.

Good luck with your new life in the west of Ireland. Don't forget an umbrealla and sun cream.

Why did you pick Galway exactly? It always interests me why people do.

Actually I'm curious myself about that.

Probably the atmosphere and studentness.

And the weather

god bless the Connemara sun

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I moved over in April with no accommodation and no job, I was lucky and got a house in just over a week and got a job with an old customer. It can be done, keep your out look positive and see it as a big adventure.

Sleepzone only let you stay for a max of 7 nights at a time (or so they told me)

let us know on here if you get really stuck I'm sure we can do something to help.

And I'm sure some of us can be persuaded to go out for a beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭k-a-t-e

WOW

Thanks for the replies everyone, gives me hope to read them.

Although I am a bit concerned about the meeting people thing now as 2 people have mentioned it. Erniebert has kinda readdressed the balance slightly though.

I have been looking on daft and the advertiser for houses and there does seem to be quite a lot out there which is good. Been on loads of websites for jobs, so many that I've lots count. Will be looking on monster now though.

Thanks LadyPennyworth for the offer - may just take you up on it!

Re: why did i choose Galway. I think it was just the timing in my life. I had been working on dissertation for 6 months, handed it in on 31st August and then flew to Galway to meet my parents the next day. I was so relaxed and happy, just wondering about, shopping, reading, drinking etc that I thought I could live here. I also knew a girl who had just come back from spending her summer there and she told me to go for it - so I did.

Before I forget - can anyone recommend the best mobile phone provider in Ireland. Will have to get a mobile pretty soon and have heard good and bad things about Meteor. Any ideas?

Thanks again everyone. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Meteor are pretty decent, and it works abroad...I chose the 3 network cos it's cheap but reception can be limited. Meteor is grand and has pretty good coverage as far as I'm aware...

bring your wellies and sunscreen...the weather in Galway is quite unpredictable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

you have to have a screw or two loose to be able to fully enjoy life in Galway... tbh you sound a little too sane for the place for me. ;)

Knocknacarra or Salthill are grand places to live, if a little sterile, but i definitly wouldn't want to have to commute across town. someone said 40 mins? traffic's getting worse all the time, a few days i've done it and it's been over the hour. in fact one day i was just 40 mins+ getting as far as the college.

Network: Meteor vs. O2 vs. Vodaphone vs. 3. meteor are cheapest iirc, grand if you live in an urban area like Galway, not great otherwise although i hear they got better recently? anyway most people i know are with them or have switched recently enough. i'm with O2 currently but if i had the choice i'd stay away tbh, i'm starting to get a lot of text messages going lost and then reappearing hours days, or in one case years, later. dunno about vodaphone, although i think they have the most established network in the place. 3G are still too new i think. teething problems are all i've heard. all of the above though could well be wrong, i'm no expert on this really, just thought i'd give me 2 cents (except for the missing marbles bit, that's definitly true).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

If your looking for best reception and overall level of bells and whistles then vodafone are the way to go. I think I've only been in one place in 6 years where vodafone didn't have coverage - and no other network had coverage there either.

However they are expensive. I find them alright cos I send a lot of webtext and get free weekend calls. But if your looking for cheap with good coverage around the city go with meteor

Also as regards looking for jobs I'm surprised noone has said anything about the advertiser as well. There are some jobs in there usually part-time stuff and low level but they might suit you. Since your prob getting this anyway for accomm listings it's worth a look.

As for meeting friends I'd say unless your very unlucky at least 1 or 2 of your housemates will be sound and will help you settle in and introduce you to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Another way to meet people would be to join couchsurfers. They're mostly all travelers too and meet up fairly regular. If your stuck for a place to stay someone should be able to give you a couch for a night or two.

I have some old friends up in the city that I'm not using so if you want to borrow them for a few days. As long as you feed them and don't let them run out in front of any cars (I don't want to have to pay out for any damage done to the cars) you can keep them for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I believe Meteor charge the same to call a UK landline as an Irish one... this may be useful to you?

Regarding friends, I'd imagine you'll be able to pick a few up amongst your housemates/work colleagues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chantelle_49

Hi Kate,

I arrived about a month ago in the same situation, on my own and only knowing one person, sort of. My advice is to get in quick with accommodation! I managed to get a temp job through I.C.E. group within 3 days of arriving and staying in a hostel and getting up at 7am for work when your drunken roommates only came in at 4am will crush your spirit quicker than anything else.

Salthill and surrounds are nice, especially if you get a job in the city centre, but if you end up at one of the industrial estates on the other side of town, it's going to be a painful commute.

To be honest, meeting people can be a bit difficult. It is a university town and most people know each other through college, but if you get a decent sharehouse your roomies will (hopefully) introduce you to their mates.

Good luck with your move!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Oh yah... seeing as theres no sign of drake yet...

pics please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

I moved here a few months ago, not by choice. It's okay for a small town, here is my opinion:

1. Nightlife is appalling:
    - nightclubs: I've been to most if not all of them here, and they are basically booze ups. you won't hear big DJs or major acts.
    - pubs/bars: the main street is populated by vomiting students or older people aged 45-50+.
    2. People: very friendly, but I think everyone is hung over or actually drunk by the way people drive and act.

That said, there are plenty of activities and sports, so meeting people will not be a problem. In reality, Galway is a town of old middle-aged people with a large amount of 18-21 year olds. It is not a place for working profeessionals and lacks a lot of things you would expect in a city of the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Pete4779 wrote: »
    I moved here a few months ago, not by choice. It's okay for a small town, here is my opinion:

- nightclubs: I've been to most if not all of them here, and they are basically booze ups. you won't hear big DJs or major acts.
    - pubs/bars: the main street is populated by vomiting students or older people aged 45-50+.
    2. People: very friendly, but I think everyone is hung over or actually drunk by the way people drive and act.

That said, there are plenty of activities and sports, so meeting people will not be a problem. In reality, Galway is a town of old middle-aged people with a large amount of 18-21 year olds. It is not a place for working profeessionals and lacks a lot of things you would expect in a city of the size.

How's the new job with Failte Ireland working out since your transfer from the grand old city of Sligo? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭altered121

STRONGLY disagree I spend a great deal of time in Galway
    ( Yes I am a professional ) also Galway is a City not a Town
    and most of the residents can drive and Pubs in Galway
    are as good/better than bars in Dublin/London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

pfft... us studenty types dont want you stuck up working "professional" yuppie types hanging around!!

:D i'm jus messin

you have a point alright, nightlife really is hopeless at times, especially in the bigger more popular places. having said that there are some great wee spots around the city if you look hard enough (I love the bierhouse and the slavic place in Salthill myself for an enjoyable pint), and keep yer eyes an ears open, no real "big" act will come but there are some absolute gems who appear now and then, as long as your not one of them types who only listen to the top10 overly repeated ****e.

was just discussing it today with a mate though, we need a club that does actually play proper hardcore clubbin stuff, not your chart remix crap that i always seem unfortunate enough to have to tolerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

> Maybe thinking about Sleepzone or Kinlay House Hostel.

I came to Galway as a visitor a few weeks ago, and have now got a job here. Am planning to start looking for a flat this weekend, it seems that www.daft.ie and The Advertiser are the way to go. Advice from people who've done it is that any flat which has been on daft.ie for more than 2 days has something wrong with it.

I've stayed in Sleepzone, Claddagh and Kinlay House (they're the only ones which offer female-only dorms), and strongly recommend Kinlay: their rooms are quite a bit larger, and Sleepzone currently has a noisy buiding site just up the road from it. Kinlay also have an off-season weekly rate (85-euro, which includes 1xlaundry and 1-hour of internet), and they have a 24-hour lounge which means that loud room-mates have somewehre to go. And their staff are pretty cool. You can see useful reviews of hostels on www.hostelworld.com - just because a hostel looks full on Fri/Sat, don't believe it, they mostly have additional beds that they don't offer thru hostelworld which you can book over the phone.

How old are you, and what are you interested in? As far as I can see, there are various things to join here, which will lead to making some friends .. so far, I'm thinking that it seems like a good place to have moved to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I've been here about 5 weeks now, and haven't found it too badly off at all- I'd say flat finding was the most difficult because they go super quickly.

Social-wise, ideally find good housemates for one. Also join a club or two, or volunteering is another good way to meet people. And you may meet fellow newcomers in the hostel. In pubs and such, people are very sociable and 'chatty' - though more in a fun evening way than we've really hit it off lets be friends way. So they are great for a social interaction fix if you're new, but you don't necessarily meet friends in them.

Hostelwise, I can confirm Sleepzone has a 7 day stay limit and no weekly rate, so it's probably not the best for a long-termer. Also, almost all the hostels in the city sell out on the weekend, so make sure to book in advance. At 80-90 a week, they aren't that much more than a flat share, so I wouldn't stress to much about grabbing the first possible flat that comes along or anything.

Everythings gone grand for me so far.
    Except going to shows.
    I don't know anyone who's into gigs
    :o

Better luck than me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Small town eh? :rolleyes:
    Only thing I agree on is the nightclubs, I just stay out of them now. Everything else you wrote is bull**** :rolleyes:

Advertisement