Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Over&Over

Good clubbing this weekend in the Black Box....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055170815

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Everythings gone grand for me so far.
    Except going to shows.
    I don't know anyone who's into gigs
    :o

Better luck than me.

Why, have you some particular taste in the choons or is it cos youre scary?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Nah I have eclectic tastes.

I know one guy into my music taste but he's got something on that night.

Dragging along someone else to see Jello would be possible, but no fun. It's pointless dragging someone else along unless they actually wanna be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Galways really relaxed so youll have no trouble- as someone already said, the Galway advertiser (on thursdays) is the best point of call for jobs, accommodation etc. galwayadvertiser.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Pete4779 wrote: »
    I moved here a few months ago, not by choice. It's okay for a small town, here is my opinion:

1. Nightlife is appalling:
    - nightclubs: I've been to most if not all of them here, and they are basically booze ups. you won't hear big DJs or major acts.
    - pubs/bars: the main street is populated by vomiting students or older people aged 45-50+.
    2. People: very friendly, but I think everyone is hung over or actually drunk by the way people drive and act.

That said, there are plenty of activities and sports, so meeting people will not be a problem. In reality, Galway is a town of old middle-aged people with a large amount of 18-21 year olds. It is not a place for working profeessionals and lacks a lot of things you would expect in a city of the size.

I'd agree with most of that, but the same is true for most cities of Galway's size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

must be somthing in the water!!

im moving to Galway after christmas!!

ive applied for a good few jobs down there already - once i have the job i will get the place to rent sorted! :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

Hi Kate. What kind of work are you looking for? As everyone has mentioned all of the industrial estates are on the opposite side of the city to Knocknacarra, so depending on what you're looking for, it may not be a great option. However, it's a quiet part of the city and close to the beaches. Rent is cheap in Knocknacarra, and easy to get.

I know a person who finds it very very difficult to get normal people to check out her free rooms, and there's always one empty just because no one rings up to view (because they must think Knocknacarra is far away from everywhere). Her rooms are very cheap. So if you want a job in the city centre, Knocknacarra is good from that point of view.

Also, how old are you? (if you don't mind me asking?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭k-a-t-e

Hi Kate. What kind of work are you looking for? As everyone has mentioned all of the industrial estates are on the opposite side of the city to Knocknacarra, so depending on what you're looking for, it may not be a great option. However, it's a quiet part of the city and close to the beaches. Rent is cheap in Knocknacarra, and easy to get.

I know a person who finds it very very difficult to get normal people to check out her free rooms, and there's always one empty just because no one rings up to view (because they must think Knocknacarra is far away from everywhere). Her rooms are very cheap. So if you want a job in the city centre, Knocknacarra is good from that point of view.

Also, how old are you? (if you don't mind me asking?)

I am working as a medical sec at the mo but am applying for everything and anything: temp admin jobs, security/bouncers, mystery shopper, shop assistant to name a few. I dont think Knocknacarra is within walking distance of Salthill or the city centre but at the moment it takes me over and hour to get to work so travelling is pretty normal for me.

I'm 25?? A lot of people have asked me that.

People's comments have made me think about chaning my location for renting but I do love Knocknacarra and Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Good luck with the move Kate,
    Knocknacarra will drive ya daft and it will depend on where ya wanna work.
    Renmore and that whole area handy for town and Ballybritt region

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

Well, there's a pretty good bus service to town from Knocknacarra, and it takes about half an hour on the bus. You'll probably be able to get a job in the city centre, and Knocknacarra would be very suitable.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?search=1&s[cc_id]=c19&s[a_id]=3667&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=&s[room_type]=either&s[search_type]=sharing&s[refreshmap]=1&limit=10&search_type=sharing&id=389487

I know that this is my friend's add. I don't know if I'm allowed put that kind of stuff up here though...but it's not my advertisement!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

It's about 20 minutes walk to Salthill from Cappagh Road, but you could be faster or slower at walking than I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

k-a-t-e wrote: »
    I am working as a medical sec at the mo but am applying for everything and anything: temp admin jobs, security/bouncers, mystery shopper, shop assistant to name a few. I dont think Knocknacarra is within walking distance of Salthill or the city centre but at the moment it takes me over and hour to get to work so travelling is pretty normal for me.

I'm 25?? A lot of people have asked me that.

People's comments have made me think about chaning my location for renting but I do love Knocknacarra and Salthill.

RE: distance: knocknacarra is easily walking distance to salthill. It is almost 5km exactly from Merchant's road area in city centre, and around 2-2.5km to Salthill, so around 20 mins walking (I would think there are a few short cuts - that's going along the main road).

Traffic there if you drive can be backed up considerably, especially in the evening - a much better and quicker solution is a bike, and Knocknacarra is only 10-15 minutes or so to city centre.

Advertisement