Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running XP on an old laptop ?

• 23-10-2007 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭

Howdy, am heading off travelling for a few weeks and bringing a really old laptop, because (a) its a tiny IBM with 10" screen or something like that, so its light, and also (b)its old so I don't mind so much if I lose it !

So my question is... this lappie is weak, 128mb ram, windows xp on it (very slow to start but fine when running), with 20gb hd and a P3 800 Processor....

I want to wipe the O/S and start again. Ideally I would like to use XP again, possibly using nlite or something like that to take my existing XP disc for the machine and chop it to bits to try to get it running faster... anyone done anything like this before and if so how did it work ? any tips ?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

haven't used nlite but would be interested to know how you get on

only thing with the spec is the 128mb of ram, changing it to 256 or ideally 512 would make a noticable differance i think

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You'll need a transferrable license

You won't be able to transfer an image unless the Machine type matches and even then you'll need to set the IDE controller to standard to avoid stop 07b's

128 / P3 800 - by an amazing concidence I put an XP image in an old Dell XPS, ok I swapped a drive into it, it was a desktop so would be a lot faster than the IBM, and it was just painful. I would not like to have to sit by it while installing

Windows 2000 would be a better bet, again you would need a transferrable license.

is it for internet use or off line use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Mostly used for Internet I reckon whilst on the road. I have a transferable XP license and a 2000 license, so I should be ok on that front (I don't know what nlite does to that).

New problem is that I have misplaced my adapter for the CDRW drive (external because its one of those Micro Machines !) It does have USB, so I am trying to get it booted from that. Might just get my adapter going and go the windows 2000 route maybe with an XP skin. Although I already have XP on it and its fine, slow to start but good when it gets going. I wonder could I cut it down in situ rather than doing a full re-install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

i would go with 2000, it will perform better with that hardware spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

I take it none of you have heard of Windows XP Fundamentals.. ?
    tut tut

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sa/benefits/fundamentals.mspx
    Microsoft wrote:
    Microsoft Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs, available exclusively to Microsoft Software Assurance customers, is a small-footprint Windows-based operating system solution designed for customers who have legacy computers running early operating systems and who are not in a position to purchase new hardware. This solution provides the same security and manageability as Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) while providing a smooth migration path to the latest hardware and operating system.

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention that I have installed this on 2x Pentium3 800Mhz with 128MB RAM each and they both run smoothly.

Regards

Seany

• Advertisement

also in that doc:

Eligibility

For each Windows Client License covered under Software Assurance, you are entitled to install one copy of Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs as the Windows Client License.

The following Volume Licensing programs are eligible for this benefit:

Select License Software Assurance Membership

Enterprise Agreement

Enterprise Subscription Agreement

Don't shoot the messenger.. I'm just saying it's an option.

Also, let's not beat around the bush here.. The OP in question has a laptop and refers to using nLite.. I'm sure it's all legit if you catch my drift *wink wink*

Anyway, by far the best site for finding out information on how to use tools like nLite and other Unattended XP Disks is:
    http://unattended.msfn.org [100% legal content]

Regards,

Seány

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Get another stick of ram to bring it to 256mb total, on adverts.ie or ebay mind, as you'll pay more then it's worth new. Then you're good to go. Running XP on 256mb is perfectly fine provided you aren't doing anything overly intensive. I've run XP on 128 and even 64mb of ram and found it usuable, after some initial slowness starting up. Win2000 in practice isn't actually much faster to be honest.

Even with 128mb of ram XP should be ok as long as you have all non essential services disabled on startup, and all effects turned off. Put on a basic theme as well. Make sure to run a spyware check to clear out any junk.

edit: definitely use Nlite too. If you're starting fresh.

i would go with 2000, it will perform better with that hardware spec.

Just to point out too, Windows 2000 is probably the worst OS to load as it loads of unneccesary network services?

FYI:
    Windows 2000 was targeted as a business orientated OS

yes, but these can be disabled, and its "lighter" than xp on older machines. IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Right, just bumped it to 256mb (had an old stick lying about that I had forgotten about, along with a million other bits, one of the rare occasions where being a hoarder pays off). Running with standard XP Pro SP2, its now running sweet, even starting up very quickly, thanks to some heavy editing of the startup services, and use of Hijack this... plus uninstallation of a load of junk. So speed is no longer the issue.

Sean, I have legit copies of XP, my living depends on it, the use of nlite was proposed purely to create something that runs fast... and it would have used my own licensed XP files to do so ! No point now though with this thing motoring along nicely ! Thanks guys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Advertisement