Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reinstall xp-will it help performance

• 23-10-2007 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭

Is it worth wiping the HD and reinstalling xp on a computer, or would i just be wasting my time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It should improve the performance alright, especially if you download and install/uninstall a lot of programs that could cause registry clutter, etc. Many people I know do it once a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

yeah i do do that alot, limewire has slowed it down alot, will it help in this case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I would say so, Limewire is probably causing the majority of the problems as alot of the media on there is riddled with viruses. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DeX_Wizard

If your computer is going slow at login try deleting your account and making a a new one NOTE:Backup files first.
    and you should defragment the hard drive wenever you can this usualy speeds up the system.
    but if you are having majour speed problomes with your system you should probaply reinstall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Ruu wrote: »
    I would say so, Limewire is probably causing the majority of the problems as alot of the media on there is riddled with viruses. :/

Tend to disagree with that statement :)

Computers are like cars in the way they need to be "serviced" every once and a while. Good mechanics will generally forsee problems before they happen or know how to fix it once it breaks.

The same can be said about LimeWire, if you know how to use it and use common sense when downloading you will stay Virus/spyware free.

Users that experience a "slowing down" while using LimeWire should do the following:

1. Update your current Java version if it's not the latest. Command Promprt -> java -verision will tell you it's version.
    2. Download the latest version of LimeWire, needless to say the Pro version is a must. I would not go near the free version with a barge-pole.

Format and re-install XP, creating an Unattended XP setup disk can do it automatically without even clicking a button.. but that would be for the fairly advanced user.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

whats the story with my microsoft office that i have on the computer at the moment, when i wipe the HD it'll be gone so if i enter the same product code as the first time will it activate? or do i have to back it up some kind of way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Regarding reinstalling, I would recommend it if you havent done so in a while. I have some older Window 2000 machines that I use for training and I reinstall every few months or so. That being said with proper preventative maintenance, a clean machine will run quite well.

Advertisement