Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying games - Using weak dollar/strong euro to our advantage.

Options
  • 23-10-2007 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

I just returned from a few years abroad with a new resolution: to lower my cost of living, especially with luxury goods like games etc, by never buying in ireland when possible. Mail order if possible, or buying when I'm abroad if not.

After just paying 45 euro each for 2 games in Game and seeing one of them in HMV for 30 euro just a day later, I'm in serious breach of this resolution.

So the question is, weighing up shipping costs/delivery times etc, where is the best, cheapest place for us to order from? Of course a weak dollar means its pretty cheap to import, but the balance is important. I dont want to wait 3 weeks for delivery because it was the only cost viable option.
    Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I get most of my games from services like steam for the PC, or play.com for console stuff. Steam prices are in dollars which is nice for now, but they do charge Irish VAT if you pay with an Irish credit card/address. Getting stuff physically from America is a bit rubbish though as postage usually takes ages and expensive items are liable to be stopped by customs pending you coughing up VAT.

I pretty much never buy any games or computer stuff from the shops here, it is pretty much never cheaper unless you're getting old/pre-owned stuff.

Advertisement