Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile Phone Repairs (in or outside warranty)

• 23-10-2007 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

just wondered is it usual to send a phone for repair in warranty and get it back in a few days in a small jiffey bag without any reports or bit of paper saying what the problem(if any) was or that any test or repair was actually carried out?

had a phone repaired 2years ago ang got it back with 8pages of reports and reciepts saying exactly what had been done with it but last week had a newer phone repaired and got a photocopy of a page back saying "congrats we have fixed your phone"

anyone else find this leaves the whole repair system open to abuse??

just to clarify the repair was perfect in each case but the accountability.....?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

thats sounds a bit strange alright, where did you leave it in for repair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

into the networks store, but is this the case with all the repair companies out there?? had a sagem repaired also last year and same thing only they replaced the phone without ringing me but again there was NO paperwork of any kind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

it could be just the way they do it now, i know when i got my phone repaired by meteor, when i went into the shop to collect it, all the repaired phones appeared to be in one big box with a page wrapped around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

thats fairly normal. usually there's a very brief explanation on the bag itself

is that enough though for something that costs so much to be thrown on a box with a few words on a page wrapped around it? do we as customers not deserve a proper explanation of what went wrong and exactly what was done to fix the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

TBH Foggy (and I mean no disrespect) I wouldn't really care as long as it is fixed and the store have a record that there was an problem and it was corrected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Are you really going to understand a detailed engineers report? From experience if you really want the info ask them. They probably won't have it right away but I'm sure they can find out for you.

How would you like your phone stored? What's wrong with a padded bag in a box? Your phones are stored loose in the back of vans, in warehouse, on shelves or in presses before you buy them!

ciaranfo wrote: »
    Are you really going to understand a detailed engineers report? From experience if you really want the info ask them. They probably won't have it right away but I'm sure they can find out for you.

How would you like your phone stored? What's wrong with a padded bag in a box? Your phones are stored loose in the back of vans, in warehouse, on shelves or in presses before you buy them!

nothing wrong with the padded bag my point was about the lack of info returned with the phone and regardless of whether it is understood or not it should be provided for every phone repaired as it used to be 2years ago.

have these companies got anything to hide? or is keeping proper records not part of their work ethos?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    nothing wrong with the padded bag my point was about the lack of info returned with the phone and regardless of whether it is understood or not it should be provided for every phone repaired as it used to be 2years ago.

have these companies got anything to hide? or is keeping proper records not part of their work ethos?
    Yes. Nobody is repairing your phone at all. It's a conspiracy amongst manufacturers to keep you satisfied until they bring out a new model which you can upgrade to and make them more money on.

Haha ha ha. Etc.

Request an engineers report if you want one - I personally couldn't care less. I'll be happy with the knowledge that if challenged they can provide required info.

they have nothing to hide. they have the information at their end and if the phone is sent in again they will know what was done the last time.

quite often i had no idea what the bit of writing on the bag meant. if i couldn't understand the ten words on the bag, why would i want a ten page report of equally incomprehensible engineer talk?

if you're that bothered, call the repair company and ask them for the report. don't bother calling the shop because they'll just call the repair company. better to cut out the middle man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

they have nothing to hide. they have the information at their end and if the phone is sent in again they will know what was done the last time.

quite often i had no idea what the bit of writing on the bag meant. if i couldn't understand the ten words on the bag, why would i want a ten page report of equally incomprehensible engineer talk?

if you're that bothered, call the repair company and ask them for the report. don't bother calling the shop because they'll just call the repair company. better to cut out the middle man

Ie don't create any more work for vimes! ;-)

Seriously though, most of what is in an engineers report is pure garble to alot of people. Some shops have an online repair system (o2 for example) where they can access an engineers report online and see a picture of the phones board and any damage/watermarks that may have been on it.

ok so this info is readily available from repair companies if requested which is good but i would personally prefer if it ws sent with the repaired handsets as it is a record of service which customers are surely entitled to?

now i cant understand why "3" customer care told me they could not and would not provide this info even if they could even though the phone was repaired by "3"!

ok so this info is readily available from repair companies if requested which is good but i would personally prefer if it ws sent with the repaired handsets as it is a record of service which customers are surely entitled to?

now i cant understand why "3" customer care told me they could not and would not provide this info even if they could even though the phone was repaired by "3"!
    Well, you're dealing with 3 so that's different.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i've found that most ppl dont want back the sheets if their phone has been repaired.

But when the phone hasnt been repaired, that lovely picture of the circuit board with a circle indicating water damage is great to give to the complaining ppls.

its not about "3" or any particular repair company or contractor its about accountability and keeping proper records and customers being given exactly what we are entitled to ie:the proof that the phone was repaired properly and also proof that the problem actually existed and was not some temporary network issue and it also instills some confidence that these repair companies are not just "cowboys" setting up in their garage to cater for the huge number of faulty handsets

neilled wrote: »
    Ie don't create any more work for vimes! ;-)

exactly :D

its not about "3" or any particular repair company or contractor its about accountability and keeping proper records and customers being given exactly what we are entitled to ie:the proof that the phone was repaired properly and also proof that the problem actually existed and was not some temporary network issue and it also instills some confidence that these repair companies are not just "cowboys" setting up in their garage to cater for the huge number of faulty handsets

In fairness foggy, the days of 8 page engineers reports are gone. The last time i recieved one was a number of years ago when my ericsson R310s went in with a software error for the umpteenth time!

Most repair dockets are a brief one page summary these days and the ones i deal with in work are normally a single page or so.

and are customers not entitled to have at least a copy of this documentation? cant understand why people seem so flippant about keeping proper records!

All the network shops in ireland and the larger independents use authorised repairers like MPRC, anovo and sigma. There's no conspiracy and smaller outfits couldn't deal with the volumes involved.

I'd also suggest going back to the shop and asking to talk to the manager, for all you know you could have been chatting to a newbie who got the facts slightly wrong or calling the repair company yourself and quoting the imei of your handset.

I worked for o2 in the past and am working with another mobile retailer now - most customers just tell me to bin the slip unless they try make an insurance claim!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

I really dont see the issue here?
    If its fixed, its fixed!!
    If its done under warranty, then it didnt cost you anything
    As for your statement about the whole system being open to abuse, what exactly do you mean? As ciaranfo said, are you worried its a big conspiracy amongst manufacturers to keep you happy??

Take cars for example.....
    Your car breaks down, your mechanic fixes it, and you ask what the problem was. He starts to explain about the injector misfiring and the camshaft nut bearing etc etc etc and you just say yeah yeah and hop in and drive away and THAT you pay for!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Try MPRC ; 01 2149000 ( http://www.mprc.ie/contactus.asp ),

There the only place in Ireland that can do the N800 so I'd trust them for tech knowledge over the others....

whisht wrote: »
    I really dont see the issue here?
    If its fixed, its fixed!!
    If its done under warranty, then it didnt cost you anything
    As for your statement about the whole system being open to abuse, what exactly do you mean? As ciaranfo said, are you worried its a big conspiracy amongst manufacturers to keep you happy??

Take cars for example.....
    Your car breaks down, your mechanic fixes it, and you ask what the problem was. He starts to explain about the injector misfiring and the camshaft nut bearing etc etc etc and you just say yeah yeah and hop in and drive away and THAT you pay for!!!

if your mechanic refused to give any receipt or stamp your cars service record you wouldn't be happy well same with any servicable product!

why not give a full account of a repair as people will feel they have more confidence in the operator and also in the repair! i dont even know what company fixed my phone and three are not about to tell so asking for the report myself is not an option!

again what have these companies got to gain/hide by keeping paying customers in the dark??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you had the misfortune to have your car in a main dealer these days, its much the same. A black hole of communication. What did they do, who did it, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 phonefanatic

Someone who speaks sense!!

Presumably large quantities of paper are not wasted as they were two years ago due to environmental concerns????

Advertisement