Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best addressing for seo?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Of them 4, I would pick the first one. I think Matt Cutts likes to include the trailing slashes, but being consistent about it might be more important than which option you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Dashes vs anything else

Go with the dashes (hyphens). Here's the original Cutts post on the subject (2005).

Here's the latest on it (Aug 2007):
    Matt Cutts wrote:
    If you read Stephan Spencer’s write-up, he says some people thought that underscores are the same as dashes to Google now, and I didn’t quite say that in the talk. I said that we had someone looking at that now. So I wouldn’t consider it a completely done deal at this point. But note that I also said if you’d already made your site with underscores, it probably wasn’t worth trying to migrate all your urls over to dashes. If you’re starting fresh, I’d still pick dashes.

Trailing slashes

If it's a real directory, then good practice is to use the trailing slash (because it saves an extra request to the server). But in these days of dynamic URLs it's probably not a directory so that doesn't matter so much. Personally, I prefer the trailing slash, probably because of the ingrained habit of saving the extra request.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

I've never noticed any difference between underscores and dashes on google despite what Cutts says.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Ya sites gone from PR3 to PR1 BALLS

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Toolbar PR isn't all that important. I wouldn't worry about it. Focus on where you come in the SERPs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I will go for the first one as well or third ending with "/" or ".html"
    url rewrite is just a small part of SEO but as Tesco say "Every Litle Helps".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rizwan

first redirect all non www or non trailing / to / url so you wont get duplicate content panelty.

and use __ or -- both are same.

Advertisement