Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of Cleats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Cormie,
    stick with them. We all started out like you and now most of us probably can't cycle a bike without the things! Well, maybe not "can't", more "don't like". They really are worth the time and effort. Pretty soon they will be second nature to you and you will be wondering how you ever cycled without them.

I'm not sure I saw it in the posts, but which pedals did you buy?

P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

cormie wrote: »
    Cool stuff:) I'm taking the bike to France for the next week so hopefully there wont be too much traffic where I'm heading.
    Where about are you heading to?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've been to France already but I didn't get on the bike, the area I was in was too built up and I only ended up staying there for 2 days instead of about 4 or 5 which was the original plan :(

The pedals I have are Look A3i in red. Then the cleats I have are Look Ergo cleats (the red ones too, so some 'float' as opposed to the black which has no float).

Would the ones with no float be safer and easier to clip out?

One of the things I used to do at traffic lights was try and not touch the ground and just balance myself stationary, I got pretty good at it haha, I wouldn't dare try it with cleats on though! For those of you who are used to the cleats, would you ever do something like this? I mean, is it possible to get THAT used to wearing them? :)

The pedals I have are Look A3i in red. Then the cleats I have are Look Ergo cleats (the red ones too, so some 'float' as opposed to the black which has no float).

Would the ones with no float be safer and easier to clip out?

One of the things I used to do at traffic lights was try and not touch the ground and just balance myself stationary, I got pretty good at it haha, I wouldn't dare try it with cleats on though! For those of you who are used to the cleats, would you ever do something like this? I mean, is it possible to get THAT used to wearing them? :)

I've never used the black ones, only red and grey. I like having a little bit of float. I doubt it makes a difference for disengaging.

Track standing is what you are talking about. The bike should rock ever so slightly forwards and backwards as apposed to actually staying deadly still. It is easier on a track bike, hence the name.
    I can half do it, but I'm not very good at it. You get pretty quick at unclipping when practicing track stands :)

Yeah, track standing is good fun, but I'm too afraid to try with cleats on:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You should get the grey cleats - I think they have the least float (4 degrees IIRC).

EDIT: Actually I think I need to understand float better. All I know is that I have the grey Look Cleats and clipping in and out is really easy, much easier than the old SPDs that I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

Sounds like you are having more than your fair share of issues Cormie. I only started using them recently (last few months) and like you I was seriously dubious about my ability to clip out. But I have to say that it only took me one or 2 outings to come to grips (and not :)) with the system.

I commute a few times a week across the city during ruch hour and for a few days I found it daunting. But as other posters say:

* Clip out on your slowdown to traffic lights (or other impediments).
    * LEFT foot always, since it is the one closest to kerb.
    * Yes you can still try balancing... no reason why not.
    * Try to find a traffic light pole or rail to hold on to (to avoid unclipping).
    * If you're going to fall... 99.9% of the time the fright will force your foot out.
    * Make sure the system is at it's loosest
    * Practice
    * Practice
    * Practice
    :D

Good Luck.. stick with it and you won't loook back.
    My issue now is that I will have to mix cycling shoes/cleats AND running shoes during Triathlons for the first time this year.

Strange, I've always put my right foot down instead of my left. It just feels so much more natural to me:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

Strange, I've always put my right foot down instead of my left. It just feels so much more natural to me:confused:

I know what you mean, but less distance to the kerb.. so LEFT side is safer.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Float isn't there to make it easier/harder to disengage from the pedal. Rather it's to provide a range of lateral movement while clipped in. The reason is that most people's feet will rarely follow a true circle when pedaling, so there needs to be a little bit of room for side to side movement. If you go with zero float, you're meant to have better power transfer, but unless you fit them perfectly I've read you can end up with knee pain.

As for clipping out, the release tension adjustment screw on the pedal will have a bigger impact on how easy it is to do. First thing you should try is put that down to the minimum.

The other thing I've noticed about people new to clipless is that they often unclip one foot and try to put it down while still in the saddle. If you're saddle's at the correct height, this is kind of tricky to do and throw you off balance. As you approach the lights, get out of the saddle, then unclip one foot and put it down when you've coasted to a halt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

My solution to the problem was to get a dremel tool and drill the pedal to have a larger front to back gap for my cleat. The result is that my foot cant slide forward or back, but can still come out without twisting the shoe. Works a treat.:)

I have these pedals: http://www.lc-sport.nl/images/SPD_shimano_PD_M_540.jpg

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    My solution to the problem was to get a dremel tool and drill the pedal to have a larger front to back gap for my cleat. The result is that my foot cant slide forward or back, but can still come out without twisting the shoe. Works a treat.:)

I have these pedals: http://www.lc-sport.nl/images/SPD_shimano_PD_M_540.jpg

oh, er... what was the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Yes, it is possible. I originally got used to doing that with toeclips and straps on (with the straps loose and no cleats on my shoes) but despite that seeming to be easier/safer than clipless in fact it can be more dodgy as your foot can snag much more easily on the clip or strap when you have to put it down suddenly. Doing a track stand with clipless pedals is initially daunting but it is actually easier to balance the bike while clipped in as you have more direct control over the bike. The motion of twisting your foot to unclip is actually a fairly natural movement so you'll probably find that you do it without thinking when you have to.

Getting comfortable with doing a track stand is very useful, in my opinion. Anything that helps you develop a better feel for the bike, and therefore better control over it, will help you in the long run and as your confidence builds you'll find your skill does too. And your bike handling skills can safe your life.

Similarly, I think it is very important to get comfortable with putting either foot down when you stop. Obviously, riding on the left side of the road usually means that putting your left foot down is safer so that traffic beside you doesn't remove your leg for you, but you never know when you might have to put your right foot down in an emergency stop and being comfortable with doing so helps a lot (I still favour my left leg, despite my efforts, which means that whenever I lean the bike to the right, on a bend for example, I don't have quite the same confidence as when I lean to the other side, which probably makes me more likely to land on my arse on a right turn at some point).

As already said, getting used to clipless pedals is all about practice and once you get used to them you'll find it hard to do without them. Of course if they are proving so daunting to use that you are avoiding using the bike at all, then that makes them a less easy choice. The cleats for pedals like your Look ones add an extra challenge because they make it difficult to keep your foot on the back of the pedal which can add to your nervousness - if the Look's don't work out for you, it would be worth considering pedals that involve cleats recessed into the shoes (might require changing your shoes too, though), such as these or even these if you prefer a larger platform on the pedal.

Oh, might be stating the obvious here, but when clipping your foot out, the easiest position to do that is when the pedal is at the lowest point of the revolution (you get greater leverage, and your body weight it at a good point so you don't easily lose your balance once unclipped) so when practicing get used to clipping out in this position. When you get more comfortable you'll find that you can clip out at other points in the revolution too, it's just a bit more challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

As doozerie says, track stands are actually easier with cleats, but the failure mode would be worse ;-) TBH I would leave them until you are fully comfortable with the clipless pedals first.

I believe they are easier on fixed wheel bikes as you have both forward and backwards control through the pedals (you can only move forwards on a freewheel.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I dunno, I got cleats and stuff recently and I've tried them a few times. Of course, I was trepidatious at first but I got used to them pretty quickly.
    It's a total zen thing, you really feel at one with the bike etc. I can't do a track stand (I used to be able to, I don't know what's happened), but I find there's not much need to clip out coming up to lights and that, I just slow down to a crawl and wait for the green.

I find it much much harder to get into the things than to get out of them. Also, the shoes are *impossible* to walk in. So I reckon I'll be doing my commute in my normal shoes for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I find it much much harder to get into the things than to get out of them. Also, the shoes are *impossible* to walk in. So I reckon I'll be doing my commute in my normal shoes for the time being.

I bought mountain bike shoes for that purpose. You get most of the advantages of normal cycling shoes and you can walk in them.

Arghhh, was just out for another cycle yesterday and still felt the same with the cleats. Just can't get comfortable with them on. Have no confidence and ride along as if I've just learned how to cycle :o

Would a pair of these:
    images%3Fq%3Dshoe%2Bstrap%2Bpedals%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DN

not be just as good for keeping your feet to the pedal, but a lot safer in heavy traffic as you can just put your feet on the underside (not in the strap). Where would I get a good pair of them would anyone know? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Stark wrote: »
    I bought mountain bike shoes for that purpose. You get most of the advantages of normal cycling shoes and you can walk in them.

What are mountain bike shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

BostonB wrote: »

Mountain bike shoes have more grip on the bottom of them for walking around and use the SPD pedals which are a bit easier to clip out of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Adidas voltage MTB shoe:

863283-40.jpg

DMT Kyoma Road shoe:
    DKW37.jpg

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote:

Cycling shoes that have a recessed cleat for the purposes of walking about. Examples here: http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/showsearchresults.asp?idCategory=153&order=3

Would a pair of these:
    pedalclips.jpg
    You can get clips+straps in any bike shop but they are actually _more_ difficult to get out of than clipless pedals, while simultaneously being less efficient.

Arghhh, was just out for another cycle yesterday and still felt the same with the cleats. Just can't get comfortable with them on. Have no confidence and ride along as if I've just learned how to cycle :o

Would a pair of these:
    images%3Fq%3Dshoe%2Bstrap%2Bpedals%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DN

not be just as good for keeping your feet to the pedal, but a lot safer in heavy traffic as you can just put your feet on the underside (not in the strap). Where would I get a good pair of them would anyone know? :)

Sorry, I meant to link to this image:
    pedalclips.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

As everyone said stick with it, and you'll never look back. It'll become second nature to twist you heel out as you go to put your foot down.
    I'm the same as a lot of people here, use red looks for my real roadie and SPD's on my commuter.
    Started the whole track stand thing a few years ago on flats, and not to blow my own trumpet, but I got quite good at it, but it's all practice practice practice.

Would they have any real advantage over using a pedal like the above? I mean they both keep your feet stuck to the pedal, right? But with the above, you could use the underside for heavy traffic and that.

Yes, as they are both better at keeping your foot stuck to the pedal and easier to get out of. Many people will unclip in advance in circumstances that may demand a sudden stop.

You could try double sided pedals that are flat on one side, SPD on the other: like the Shimano PD-M324. Otherwise you can get plastic clippy things that fit to normal double-sided SPDs, they came with Shimano PD-515s I bought once and I have them on my town bike.

Might have to change your shoes/system (not sure if you are using road cleats?)

I have the M324s mentioned above, although I've never actually used the flat side since getting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I got some Time ATACs and a pair of SIDI Dominators recently, the difference in the whole feel of the bike is huge! Much better power transfer and actually safer feeling than clips and straps when you're putting the hammer down. I've yet to try them out in town but I managed not to get killed going over the East Link this afternoon..

Stark wrote: »
    I have the M324s mentioned above, although I've never actually used the flat side since getting them.
    In that case I would suggest swapping them for double-sided SPDs; besides the weight saving they are much easier to clip into in traffic as you don't need to check the orientation of the pedal. I do have SPD/platform on one bike as I use it with normal shoes but if you never use normal shoes definately swap (other three bikes are double-sided.) If you only occasionally use normal shoes, get double-sided with the removable plastic clippy things.

• Advertisement

The A324's look good alright, but would my shoes and cleats fit the clip in side? I have these red ones: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=21588

These are the pedals I have if it makes a difference: http://xoomgear.com/manufacturer/Look/pedals//Look_A3_1/977/

It'd be pretty hard anyway to have any grip on the flat side with the shoes and cleats I have I think, since they are plastic, they would probably slip off and be pretty dangerous.

pedalclips.jpg
    blorg:
    You can get clips+straps in any bike shop but they are actually _more_ difficult to get out of than clipless pedals, while simultaneously being less efficient.

How much less efficient would they be though, enough to notice on a simple cycle into town and back and a bit around or would you really only notice on much much longer cycles? Getting out of them wouldn't really be a problem because I'd only be in them on long stretches and use the underside in town/heavy traffic, so wouldn't be in them :)

Advertisement