Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick one: 'dziubku' - what does it mean?

Options
  • 23-10-2007 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Also: 'dziubek' - same thing?

Thanks!

Paul.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dzióbek means beak or bill.

Is that the word you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 paulc2

thanks for the reply, but I suspect it has another (unrelated) meaning...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My friend told me it can be used as a pet name for your other half or also if you're going to hit someone you can say you'll hit the beak of them!

Aha... Now that makes more sense (the pet name)...

Does your friend know a good reply (from a guy to a girl)?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I'll ask him later, just hope he's workin today but i will make sure to post a reply :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

well when I lived in Poland many moons ago I used to call my then gf Kohania (I know this is spelt wrong but it's how it's pronounced). I think it means darling, sweetie or something (at least I hope so, maybe thats why we split up!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

drunk_monk wrote: »
    well when I lived in Poland many moons ago I used to call my then gf Kohania (I know this is spelt wrong but it's how it's pronounced). I think it means darling, sweetie or something (at least I hope so, maybe thats why we split up!)

it's 'kochanie' ;) and yes - it means 'darling'

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

Hi there, you can also say 'Kochanie Moja' which means 'My darling' or another one you can say is 'Skarbie'.
    My girlfriend calls me 'Misio' which I do not like since it means 'Bear' :eek:
    I am Irish and am with my girlfriend 2 years already, actually I live in Warsaw with her now but we will return to Ireland after Christmas. Its All Saints Day today 1st of November and my gf went to light candles and stuff at the graveyard with her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

trevorku wrote: »
    My girlfriend calls me 'Misio' which I do not like since it means 'Bear'

It's Misiu, pronounced Meeshzoo, and it means honey bear!

• Advertisement

Yeah I actually know how its spelled and pronounced, I made a mistake on the keyboard :) I've been living in Poland a while so I know all about the grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

trevorku wrote: »
    Yeah I actually know how its spelled and pronounced, I made a mistake on the keyboard :) I've been living in Poland a while so I know all about the grammar.

It wasn't meant to poke fun at you, this a language forum, so the post was for the benefit of the other readers.

I know neddy, I didnt mean to make it personal, I think I need some chocolate to calm down, some polish chocolate that is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 m.arty

"Dziubku" means more o less the same as "kochanie" o "misiu". It's the way we (polish girls) call people we care for / love.

And "daj dziubka" means "give me a kiss" :)

Advertisement