Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EI/CZN Rescuse 115, High over Galway City

Options
  • 23-10-2007 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Just thought id share a picture of one of the Shannon based Irish Coast Guard Sikorsky S61N's over Galway City doing location training and approaches into Galway Regional Hospital last Friday at 10:38AM.

DSCF1394.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've a few pics of it hovering over my boat during the summer doing some training drills, this is the only one I could find that i'd uploaded:

06062007208.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

They did a big rescue at the weekend. Some Chinaman on a fishing boat got a 6 inch hook stuck in his head and was dragged over the deck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

sgthighway wrote: »
    They did a big rescue at the weekend. Some Chinaman on a fishing boat got a 6 inch hook stuck in his head and was dragged over the deck.

Stuck in his HEAD?! :eek:

What happened to him?

JAPANESE CREWMAN COMFORTABLE ATLANTIC SEA RESCUE
    Mon 22nd October 2007
    A Japanese fisherman is recovering at University Hospital Galway after a 25-hour sea rescue ordeal off the West coast

The 34-year old was putting out lines on a tuna vessel 360 miles out in the Atlantic when a six inch fish hook became embedded in his head on Saturday morning.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/1688-japanese-crewman-comfortable-atlantic-sea-rescue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Steyr wrote: »
    Just thought id share a picture of one of the Shannon based Irish Coast Guard Sikorsky S61N's over Galway City doing location training and approaches into Galway Regional Hospital last Friday at 10:38AM.

Was wondering what they were at alright. Great to see them, but every time I do I'm hoping its not on active duty, hadn't heard anything on the VHF in the office so presumed it was training drills alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

that wouldn't be a fishman from one of those Japanese vessels that illegally fish our waters would it now?

I know you cannot put a price on someones life but does anyone know the costs to running this service or do you get billed for it.

I heard before; Shannon to Inis Boffin to University Hospital Galway costs €5000. This would be for the likes of an Islander having a Heart Attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Was wondering what they were at alright. Great to see them, but every time I do I'm hoping its not on active duty, hadn't heard anything on the VHF in the office so presumed it was training drills alright

Training drills are still communicated on Ch 16, I often hear them. However I never hear the helicopter when im on the Corrib. I guess the helicopter is transmitting at low wattage

And yes, these helicopters are damn expensive to run. I also heard somewhere in the 5k region per rescue. As said above, can't put a price on a life though. If I ever needed the services of the RNLI/Coastguard i'd be inclined to make a contribution... but 5k :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I know you cannot put a price on someones life but does anyone know the costs to running this service or do you get billed for it.

I dont think you pay the bill. They are Operated by CHC Canada on behalf of the Irish Coast Guard ( IRCG ) and The Dept Of Transport/Marine.

that wouldn't be a fishman from one of those Japanese vessels that illegally fish our waters would it now?

The boat was 360 miles out in the Atlantic - our territorial waters extend out to 200 miles, so they weren't fishing illegally in our waters. Whether they were fishing illegally is another matter.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The boat was 360 miles out in the Atlantic - our territorial waters extend out to 200 miles, so they weren't fishing illegally in our waters. Whether they were fishing illegally is another matter.....

yeah, but what i've been told a lot of japanese do with their vessels when fishing for tuna around that area is extend their lines very far out, so they sit close to the edge of our waters but have their lines extended into our territory due to the north Atlantic drift... 160 miles doesn't add up though...

yeah, but what i've been told a lot of japanese do with their vessels when fishing for tuna around that area is extend their lines very far out, so they sit close to the edge of our waters but have their lines extended into our territory due to the north Atlantic drift... 160 miles doesn't add up though...

That would be one hell of a longline!
    It wouldn't really work that way anyway, longlines wouldn't really drift with the current as you describe, they are towed into position and follow the path of the boat. Even if the boat was steaming along the very edge of the territorial limit the lines wouldn't drift much inside the limit.
    But you're kinda right, Japanese boats have been known to fish illegally inside our waters before, think one or two may have been arrested in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What do you think of this one, hovering over the ferry out to Inis Mor a couple of weeks ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

JustMary wrote: »
    What do you think of this one, hovering over the ferry out to Inis Mor a couple of weeks ago?

Thats a cracking shot, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I heard before; Shannon to Inis Boffin to University Hospital Galway costs €5000. This would be for the likes of an Islander having a Heart Attack.

That'd be about right.

Couple of years ago, a 3.5 hour round trip for a Super Puma to a North Sea oil rig was about 5K sterling.

Seeing those S61 pics brought back lots of memories of slow,noisy & shuddering trips offshore.

Advertisement