Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important info on shotgun certificates

Options
  • 23-10-2007 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

I was at a regional game council meeting there recently and a topic came up which i was not aware of-Shotgun certs have the most important bit written up on top of it well its important if you are intending on shooting game If your cert says "unlimited with endorsement" your ok to shoot game if it says "limited without endorsement" your gun could be taken off you if a wildlife ranger stops you while out shooting game the nargc are thinking of notifying all members of this point as some certs were issued as limited by gardai and persons that these licences were issued to should have been charged €5 but instead charged the full €25 so most would not be aware of this im sure just thought id let you know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That is scandalous. The NARGC should notify everyone about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

tikka

what about if it says 'unlimited without endorsement'?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Would you be re imbursed????

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I imaigne not, but why would you want to be? You you not rather they kept the €25 and changed the cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

This is very confusing and you can understand where things go wrong:

I had alook at my licences (3 shotguns) I think it's the conditions which you look to. I recently got a new auto, and told the sgt that I would be using it to shoot game, he informed me that it's ok, because my first gun was unlimited. The second and third subsequent refers to condition B that I am already licensed. I have the game endorsement, for want of a better word.

Again no clarity:confused:

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I imaigne not, but why would you want to be? You you not rather they kept the €25 and changed the cert?

Just playing devils advocate but if you have been paying €25 for a €5 licence for a few years you would be owed €20 per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You're right on the money there Mark, the limited licences are often refered to as a vermin license. As a rule it would be issued to farmers and people appointed by landowners for the sake of vermin control. If you shoot game with a gun licenced in this way you're poaching. As for a wildlife ranger to be able to take possesion of the gun I don't know. I thought only Garda and Defence Forces could take possesion of firearms not licenced in their name. What's for sure though is that the wildlife lads can prosecute you for poaching in this case which would most likely lead to all your licences being revoked anyway...

alan123 wrote: »
    Just playing devils advocate but if you have been paying €25 for a €5 licence for a few years you would be owed €20 per year?
    Thats one way to look it it, on the other hand if you have been shooting game with one that should of cost you €5, they could take the gun off you.

If there are calls to refund the €5 per year, as thats all the cert was worth, they will take guns off people who were shooting game, as they weren't allowed to shoot game.

Best solution is to upgrade certs and forget about the money owed and the wrong certs.

Mellor wrote: »
    Thats one way to look it it, on the other hand if you have been shooting game with one that should of cost you €5, they could take the gun off you.

If there are calls to refund the €5 per year, as thats all the cert was worth, they will take guns off people who were shooting game, as they weren't allowed to shoot game.

Best solution is to upgrade certs and forget about the money owed and the wrong certs.
    +1

They should just correct and reissue the certs.

Just charge €5 for all the licences and save any confusion. (I should work in DOJ!)

• Advertisement

At €38 for a rifle licence we are being ripped off. You can't even kill game with it.

Who needs game when you have those blinker things, a notebook and a calculator?

Buy a real gun rather than one of those single barrel jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

You're right on the money there Mark, the limited licences are often refered to as a vermin license. As a rule it would be issued to farmers and people appointed by landowners for the sake of vermin control. If you shoot game with a gun licenced in this way you're poaching. As for a wildlife ranger to be able to take possesion of the gun I don't know. I thought only Garda and Defence Forces could take possesion of firearms not licenced in their name. What's for sure though is that the wildlife lads can prosecute you for poaching in this case which would most likely lead to all your licences being revoked anyway...

Defence Forces can only use Defence Forces weapons without a licence

I think Bunny shooter is right on that one. I know a young chap in the army (18)and the super in a different district won't give him a firearm certificate for a 22 wmr.......he is above board not a messer etc, he is a proffessional soldier all he ever wanted to do

Read between the lines:
    "At work he can use pretty serious weaponry (not including cannons/mortars etc, any rifle 5.56/7.62 (if it still exists) 9mm pistols, not to mention hand graenades etc....

but at home he isn't getting a licence for a 22 wmr, HELLO!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

im a member of the defence forces and all my fire arms had to be licenced and some of them with great difficulty!!

the defence forces stands for nothing, when i was getting the last 2 especially the hornet they didnt care that i had plenty of experience using bigger more powerful rifles, pistols, machine guns etc.

I think Bunny shooter is right on that one. I know a young chap in the army (18)and the super in a different district won't give him a firearm certificate for a 22 wmr.......he is above board not a messer etc, he is a proffessional soldier all he ever wanted to do

Read between the lines:
    "At work he can use pretty serious weaponry (not including cannons/mortars etc, any rifle 5.56/7.62 (if it still exists) 9mm pistols, not to mention hand graenades etc....

but at home he isn't getting a licence for a 22 wmr, HELLO!!!!!!!!
    Thats pretty bad.
    If he was the kind of person unsuitable to have a gun, or likely to do something wrong with it, then he has plenty of access to carry this out.
    Did the super give a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Bond-007 wrote: »
    That is scandalous. The NARGC should notify everyone about this.

Nargc are working on it at the moment and the meath regional game council are going to highlight this at the nargc agm i think its on this weekend in galway.Its a very serious matter im sure there is a lot of lads going out on the 1st of november and a lot of them might not even have a lience to shoot game its ridiculous.If anyone has the dodgey lience "limited without endorsement" written on the top if they infome the local cop shop im sure it could be reapplied.
    Peter pantslez im not sure what the story is with the unlimited without endorsement licence sounds like its a vermin licence but not sure??
    Every Irish shooter should be informed of this i think just to be on the safe side because at the moment its as clear as mud to most people;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BoB the 7th

tikkamark wrote: »
    I was at a regional game council meeting there recently and a topic came up which i was not aware of-Shotgun certs have the most important bit written up on top of it well its important if you are intending on shooting game If your cert says "unlimited with endorsement" your ok to shoot game if it says "limited without endorsement" your gun could be taken off you if a wildlife ranger stops you while out shooting game the nargc are thinking of notifying all members of this point as some certs were issued as limited by gardai and persons that these licences were issued to should have been charged €5 but instead charged the full €25 so most would not be aware of this im sure just thought id let you know.
    LoL wot's scandalalous is ur only finding this out NOW. I assumed everyone knew to put their main shotgun on their Unlimited Licence and rest on the rest. Each year when u rewew ur subsquent licence's on the top on them it gives the price. Have u guys so much money that u don't even lOOk? It's only when it hits u in the pockets u then realise. How is that the Gards fault?

With the Defence Forces thing earlier on I was purely refering to confiscating or in other words "securing" a firearm while on duty, would that be in their remit ? I thought it was... As for private possesion I suppose the same licencing laws apply to just about everybody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

With the Defence Forces thing earlier on I was purely refering to confiscating or in other words "securing" a firearm while on duty, would that be in their remit ? I thought it was... As for private possesion I suppose the same licencing laws apply to just about everybody

The defence forces have no authority to "secure" a private firearm. When the defence forces are acting in "aid to the civil power", namely the gardai, the gardai would secure the firearm, not the defence forces. The defence forces are there to provide armed/unarmned backup to the Gardai only. Does this answer your query ?

• Advertisement

Thanks Bunnyshooter, a 100% clear on that one now.

LoL wot's scandalalous is ur only finding this out NOW. I assumed everyone knew to put their main shotgun on their Unlimited Licence and rest on the rest. Each year when u rewew ur subsquent licence's on the top on them it gives the price. Have u guys so much money that u don't even lOOk? It's only when it hits u in the pockets u then realise. How is that the Gards fault?

I think you missed the point Bob it's the 25€ Licences thats goosed. However I still wouldn't blame the Gardai. If you think of it logically normally an endorsement on a licence is a bad thing, it is possibly a genuine mistake, the fact you forked out 25€ I am hoping is enough until it's sorted, as 25€ is the unlimited licence AFAIK

Advertisement