Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Mainly Ups, but some Downs

Options
  • 24-10-2007 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I just want to share my experiences of O2 E220 3G/HSDPA broadband ;).

I am connected in a rural area, near to a DSL enabled town, and have generally had a very positive experience with O2 performance.

Away from peak times, I generally have typical download speeds of of 1.2 to 2.2 MB. Between 6PM and 11.30PM my typical download speeds are 800kB to 1.3MB. These are short term speeds, up to 10 seconds, reducing to about 50% after 10 seconds. Pings range 120 to 350 (HEANET)

Every now and then though, I have really poor speeds particularily at peak times. - This lasts for a few days typically, followed by a dramatic improvement.

I have seen Edge appear here last week in Co. Kilkenny, but disappear again. Edge was displayed, but only GPRS speeds were available. So as yet I have no experienced edge.

GPRS performance is very poor, not even close to 50+kb, and is a lot slower that 25k-ish landline.

Signal strength is not to important, with 2 bars being as good as is required. 1 bar will allow 1MB with ease (If you want greater rsignal resolution, google for "E620 tool" which works excellently). Keep in mind that the bars are not in realtime- probably refreshed every 15 seconds ?

In my experience, customer service does not answer or acknowledge emails at all.

I have had loaners of vodafone and 3 at this location. O2 is significantly better than Vodafone, and cannot be compared at all with 3s poor performance. Having said that, I have two friends reporting significant improvements on 3 in the last few days. Vodafone GPRS is also poor.

Never any problems accessing any sites.

I currently am encountering problems with O2 for two days now, with peak time speeds between 200 and 350 kB. Have any other O2 customers had any issues on 22nd-23rd October ?

Just before I sign off, I have run speedtest.ie at 11.50 to 11.55 PM. Results below.

down Up
    990 269
    753 156
    1370 95

Thanks
    Burr

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

EDGE is not on everywhere yet , half of cells maybe or slightly more. You could have picked up EDGE from another cell.

I would think its coming to your cell shortly ( next 3-4 months) if its not there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Burr

Thanks SB - Do you know if there a list of edge enabled stations, or any roll out plan publically available. I guess not !

Are you on O2 broadband yourself ?

I have used it on occasion , yes. I only recently got EDGE on my local ( non 3g) cell which was fairly OK, 170 down and 30up was what I got in drizzle .

Mainly stick to the 3mbit DSL though :)

DSL is quite simply your only man!. but living 10+ km of copper from nearest exchange (not yet enabled) is a problem. Was with two wireless operators for last four years, but wasn't up to scratch at all. Moving to O2 is largely a positive move, as at least it is always there.

Interested in edge as I occassionaly need it for work in one non-3g area. GPRS is brutal in my experience, much worse than slow dial-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

O2 have gotten better for me over the last month or so. I've not noticed GPRS being all that bad either, pretty much the same as dial up most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Burr wrote: »
    Do you know if there a list of edge enabled stations, or any roll out plan publically available.

Comreg.ie have this site viewer. details the masts and their capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    EDGE is not on everywhere yet , half of cells maybe or slightly more. You could have picked up EDGE from another cell.

I would think its coming to your cell shortly ( next 3-4 months) if its not there now.

Sorry for being dense but what is EDGE?

galactus wrote: »
    Sorry for being dense but what is EDGE?

What is edge - Good old Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Data_Rates_for_GSM_Evolution

As for the Comreg siteviewer, it does not contain edge info.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Burr wrote: »
    What is edge - Good old Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Data_Rates_for_GSM_Evolution

As for the Comreg siteviewer, it does not contain edge info.

Thanks but that's a bit incomprehensible so I read this instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I have been able to download about 4 gigs in the last couple of nights with o2. This is something that would have been IMPOSSIBLE with Three.

I had one occasion where it was going very slow so I disconnected and reconnected and then it was back to being zippy again.

Highly recommend it. Not had to phone o2 at all since purchasing it. With Three I was on the phone every other evening paid over 15 euros phoning that stupid 083 number...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

galactus wrote: »
    Thanks but that's a bit incomprehensible so I read this instead.

The speeds quoted on that are way too fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

have had a few problems with o2 in the couple of weeks, have connection for a few hours, some times only a few minutes, even though the apllication shows 4 to 5 bars on umts or hsdpa, been with them since mid sept and has been fine til now

been on to customer services a few times who first told me a tech support agent would be in touch, then one told me work was to be done on mast, then was in shop who rang and was told there was an issue in the sligo area

now when i have a connection, very happy with it, but when keeps going off can get very frustating,

anyone else experiencing similar issues, and any sugestions, or heard anything in relation to this, have gone through my laptop settings my self and with the assistant in the shop, no issues there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am using o2 on EDGE ( I can occasionally pick up stray 3g from somewhere but sadly not enough to connect) and I get good speeds most of the time 260kbps is the max I have gotten but I have to say the speed is very stable and is constant even during the evenings. I have noticed that o2 cut you off after 12 hours connected. Is this their policy?

Also how much do they charge for sending SMS from the modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Is that 260Kbps upload or download ?
    - sounds like o2 are the only crew putting any serious work into their network at the moment - not just with the commitment to EDGE - but with 3G
    - Regarding the other fish in the pond
    I'm a three voice customer - given the data coverage and the customer service I have experienced - I would'nt be inclined to go with them as an option

I have a voda usb modem for the past year - which is fairly reliable - but for example I did a speed test (the black knight ISP one) yesterday in a 3G area and a 2G area - here are the results:

Vodafone:

3G:
    - and got
    approx 346 Kbps download
    58 Kbps upload

2G (GPRS)
    - 14 Kbps download
    17.2 Kpbs upload

Going to trial an o2 one over the next week or so - can you tell me whats the lowest EDGE data rate that you have experienced ?

260kbps download, upload is about 40 to 50 kbps on EDGE. With me I have never experienced speeds less than 150kbps.

I used to be with 3 and o2 on EDGE is beating them hands down.

Vodafone:

3G:
    - and got
    approx 346 Kbps download
    58 Kbps upload

Going to trial an o2 one over the next week or so - can you tell me whats the lowest EDGE data rate that you have experienced ?

You probably have a huawei 618 which cannot go any faster than 384k , Voda may upgrade you for FREE to keep you but first read this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054990043

Lest anyone think I am too hard on three :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

O2 are in the middle of swapping out every single piece of hardware on their network at present, this will allow a complete EDGE network to be in place. The fact that you saw EDGE on your phone means your area has more than likely been swapped but there are probably some final parameter adjustments that have to be made before EDGE will be enabled properly.

As for the price of texting from modem:
    Other call charges Charge Unit
    Text to O2 11c Per text
    Texts to other Irish mobile networks 13c Per text
    Texts to International numbers 25c Per text

I'd love to know when that swapout will finish becuase I know some country people who are planning their christmas shopping already :p

O2 are in the middle of swapping out every single piece of hardware on their network at present, this will allow a complete EDGE network to be in place. The fact that you saw EDGE on your phone means your area has more than likely been swapped but there are probably some final parameter adjustments that have to be made before EDGE will be enabled properly.

As for the price of texting from modem:
    Other call charges Charge Unit
    Text to O2 11c Per text
    Have they any plans to extend HSDPA to all areas?

I would not rule out the possibility of O2 providing 3G for some people for Christmas either, subscribe to the text alerts for your area to get up to date information as to when new 3G sites will be coming on in your area.

O2 Network Text Alerts

I cannot find where the other network offer this type of text update service. Vodafone used to do it.

• Advertisement

I take it you are an o2 employee?

In my area my phone is indicating a 3g signal from o2 but the modem is having none of it, it sees the 3g but won't connect. Am I to far away from the mast?

I get 5 bars on EDGE.

Country people with 14k dialup will be perfectly happy with EDGE only ....hence my question , some of them might get eventually LTE when its decided what LTE is :p

I am a happy Country EDGE user. :D

I suppose while EDGE is not broadband (some would say HSDPA isn't either) it does give people some sort of decent connectivity for web browsing & email.

Remember that many of these people are going from 14k Flat Rate Anytime Dialup for €30 a month to say 200k for €30 a month with EDGE , its a revelation !

And they can chuck the landline too . After all this is what the highest line rental in the whole World often gets you in rural Ireland .

ducttape.jpg

They would not know what hit them with an oul bit of 3G speeds every now and then.

In reality Edge and HSDPA are both somewhere between dialup / basic ISDN (Narrowband, up to 128k) and DSL/Cable/Metro/fibre (Real Broadband)

Maybe we should have a new OECD approved category for certain "broadband in a box" and Mobile Internet?

"Interband", "MiddleBand" but it has to SOUND better than Broadband or else the operators would not use it in marketing without a strong Consumer orientated Agency with big fines and sharp fangs.

I think the ship has sailed on this one. It's not going to be changed now.

Even more ridiculous is the notion that a service that is billed based on connected time is classed as broadband!

People should be made aware of the differences in capabilities of the technologies in some way alright.
    Perhaps a Suitability Guide should be produced as an addition to the website http://www.callcosts.ie
    There is a usage details field on the broadband section of the webiste but it only asks what speed you desire. I think that most of Joe Public have no idea what speed they need or what latency is requred to do what they want to do. They just want it to work.

In light of that I think it would be far more beneficial if questions like is it to be used for:

- web browsing & email
    - gaming
    - newsgroups
    - video streaming
    - mobility
    - VOIP

When you buy a handset you have an option list to tailor the list of handsets that suit your needs.
    Then at least people's expectations would be managed.

That doesn't work either. Iv'e done all those on dialup. Except Mobility.

We just need to actually apply the existing minimum standard (the OECD's) for Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I have to say Im perfectly happy with my o2 broadband, normal speeds are 800K to 1.8 M. I very rarely get a hsdpa signal, normally 1 bar of utms which works fine.
    I was one of the 14k masses up until I got this, so very happy. (sometimes 9k I could have a cup of tea while waiting for an email to load.)
    I also managed to get rid of my phone line which I only used for de interweb.
    My mobile is on meteor, but ill probably go back to o2 when my contract is up to avail of the lower BB price for o2 customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Also how much do they charge for sending SMS from the modem?

Prices here

Text to O2 11c Per text
    Picture Messages 25c Per picture
    Long Text 20c is less than 3kb, 25c is larger Per text

Since you're online, you can use the 250 free web-texts a month though. Texts come through to the control panel and you can reply in the web browser.

Advertisement