Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staunton has been sacked

• 24-10-2007 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

About ****ing time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7056354.stm
    Steve Staunton has reportedly been axed as Republic of Ireland manager following an emergency meeting of the Irish Football Association on Tuesday.
    Staunton, who took over from Brian Kerr in January 2006, had been under pressure after poor performances in the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

Hopes of making the finals ended when his side could only manage a 1-1 draw with Cyprus last Wednesday.

Former Leeds and Aston Villa boss David O'Leary is the favourite to take over.

Liam Brady has also expressed an interest in the job.

Staunton vowed to stay in the job after the Republic were booed off the Croke Park pitch after the Cyprus game.

However, FAI chief John Delaney refused to publicly back the former Liverpool defender in the wake of another disappointing display.

And after a long meeting in Dublin on Tuesday night, when Staunton was asked to address the FAI, it was reported that the former Liverpool and Aston Villa defender had been relieved of his duties.

Staunton was something of a shock choice for the post given his limited managerial and coaching experience.

Surprise at his elevation from Walsall assistant coach to international manager was tempered by the appointment of Sir Bobby Robson in the role of consultant and adviser.

It was hoped that Robson's wealth of experience would compliment Staunton's enthusiasm and stature as the Republic's most capped player.

Robson's role as a guiding hand was greatly limited by failing health and he seems sure to relinquish that role after the current qualifying series.

A 4-0 friendly defeat by Holland last August set the tone for things to come.

A month later the Republic boss was ordered from the touchline in a qualifier against Germany and a humiliating 5-2 away defeat to Cyprus followed soon after.

Even greater embarrassment was avoided when a last-minute winner saw Staunton's charges beat San Marino 2-1 away in February .

Staunton earned some breathing space with a 4-0 friendly win over Denmark in August but the sceptics resurfaced after a draw with Slovakia and a defeat in the Czech Republic.

A draw with Germany was followed by a last-gasp point against Cyprus but another poor display led to Delaney declining to offer a vote of confidence.

The Republic are now ranked 32nd in the world compared to 15th just a few years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Liam Brady as a possible candidate?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

YAY!!!!!!!!

THANK GOD HE'S GONE!

sky new seem to have kinda confirmed it but nothing concrete.

Really hope that souness doesn't get it as i'm a blackburn fan and he will start good but will end up leaving things worse than when he started.

David O'Leary is probably the safe bet as he isn't an awful manager and has the potential to do good.

But at least Stan the man is gone. now lets all focus on getting delaney sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Good news. He was a poor choice to begin with, little or no experience.
    Needed to get a few years under his belt first before taking on a role like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Liam Brady as a possible candidate?!

Should never of been given the job, jebus, how many months did they take to make an appointment too? Thought they might actually be looking for a great manager, then they pull someone with zero experience out of a hat.

The FAI should be fired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Here's the official statement......how the fook has Devlin survived, what does he do exactly aside from "represent" half the squad.

Can understand them not sacking Robson and allow him see out his time.
    The Football Association of Ireland and senior international team manager Stephen Staunton have agreed by mutual consent to terminate his contract following a meeting in Dublin.
    FAI President David Blood thanked Stephen Staunton and his management team for their dedication and commitment to the senior international team since their appointment in January 2006.

“They have brought through many young players and leave behind a squad with strong development potential,” said the President.

“As a member of the three man committee which made the recommendation to appoint Stephen and his team, I am disappointed that things have not worked out the way I, Stephen or my colleagues on the Board expected.”

The Board will select people, with considerable football experience in the professional game, to appoint the new manager.

U21 manager Don Givens will take charge of the team for the final Euro 2008 qualifier against Wales in Cardiff on November 17.

Staunton's assistant Kevin MacDonald and goalkeeping coach Alan Kelly have also left butSir Bobby Robson remains as International Football Consultant and Pat Devlin stays as B international team manager and eircom League co-ordinator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Jewell, Souness or Gullit for me

wont happen though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

"It's a question for Stephen what he wants to do going forward in life," said Delaney. "I know he's doing his Uefa A badges and intends finishing off his pro-licence after that. He's a young man, younger than I am. And I'm sure if he wants to stay in football he will find opportunities in time."

Stan didnt even have his basic UEFA coaching badges FFS !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Cheers Stan.

Great servant; shame he was strung along from the beginning. Should have just said no :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

kaimera wrote: »
    Cheers Stan.

Great servant; shame he was strung along from the beginning. Should have just said no :(
    My thoughts exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

anyone else think it was a typically FAI way of conducting business last night...i taut it was bad form as RTE cover the eircom league then the FAI give them the slip all night.
    and bringing in an external guy to choose a manager....talk about admitting there not up to running their organisation.
    what a waste of money but then thats what they seem to be about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Aye....it'll undoubtedly tarnsih the reputation of one of our best players....hopefully he'll be remembered for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm not sure what the point in Robson staying is, i'm hoping we appoint someone who doesn't need their hand held. Any decent manager would not be happy to have him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Please not Liam Brady OR David O Leary. The only thing David O Leary could do was buy players, and even that got Leeds bankrupt. :p

I dont want any of the names linked with us to be even considered for the job except Paul Jewell.

Cheers Stan, pints anyone?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

at the same time there better off appointing someone who wants it rather than someone who just needs a job....someone with a bit of passion for the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Bout time.

(Delaney to follow him out the door! One can only dream!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

In all fairness to O'Leary wasn't it Ridsdale that got Leeds into hot water with the gamble that Leeds would qualify for the Champions League.

Thank god Stan the Manager is gone, Stan the player was a great servant to the country and I wish him well in whatever he does.

Delaney should be ousted along with the other planks that put Stan in this position and made the Irish national team a mockery on the world stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Timans wrote: »
    Please not Liam Brady OR David O Leary. The only thing David O Leary could do was buy players, and even that got Leeds bankrupt. :p

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

kaimera wrote: »
    Cheers Stan.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Good luck to Stan whatever he decides to do next. Shame it had to end like this but he shouldn't have accepted the job in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

I always did feel a little sorry for him, he never was the man for the job and was well out of his depth, although maybe he should have seen this himself? still I'm glad to see that his service on the pitch is being highlighted now he is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Robby Bobson is only staying on until the end of his contract - ie after the Wales game. Presumably the FAI think he may be able to advise them on recruiting the next manager.

Strange that kelly is gone. wasn't he goalkeeping coach under Kerr too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

loyatemu wrote: »
    Robby Bobson is only staying on until the end of his contract - ie after the Wales game. Presumably the FAI think he may be able to advise them on recruiting the next manager.

Probably. They've said that they are recruiting an "International Advisor" who is to help pick the next manager.

Bottom line is that we have plenty of time here! No need to panic buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Chief executive John Delaney said: 'The appointment was made in good faith, obviously Stephen was appointed with (the vastly experienced) Sir Bobby Robson, and in relation to that obviously for whatever reason it hasn't worked out.

'I think by moving to a process where we will appoint people who are vested in the game in a professional capacity to make the next appointment, it is recognition that that's the way forward for the association at this stage.'

When it was put to Delaney that it was recognition that the decision on who to appoint should be made by football professionals rather than FAI administrators, he said: 'That's a fair point, yes.'

Similar, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Good luck to Stan. He's a nice guy but didnt really have the aptitude to be an international manager. There was clearly no game planning throughout the entire qualifiers and i know it should be about the football but the guy just couldnt handle the media. He looked stressed and it looked as if his decision making was affected.

Bobby was sick for a long period of stans reign and obviously we dont see what goes on behind the scenes but does anyone else think that bobby Robson had no affect on the teams success at all?

We have a good bunch of players. I'd have to say that none of the current crop are world class and that includes Shay Given who is a fantastic keeper but would not be in the top five or 6 in the world.

If otto rechnall(sp) can get greece to the euro final then there is hope for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

I think its good to see most fans have sympathy for Staunton after this debacle.

The guy is still a legend in my eyes for his playing exploits over his long and distinguished career and its a shame the FAI landed him in this mess. I know he had the best interests of Irish international football at heart during his tenure in charge, but it was simply too arduous a task for a man who was still finding his feet in football coaching/management.

Best of luck in the future Stan.

http://pc.rte.ie/2007/pc/pod-v-231007-3m34s-nobnation.mp3

Well Stan doesn't sound too upset at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Does anyone know if that security guy you always see on the touchline with the Irish team is gone aswell. Please say he is!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Onkle wrote: »
    http://pc.rte.ie/2007/pc/pod-v-231007-3m34s-nobnation.mp3

Well Stan doesn't sound too upset at all

that was a bit poo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Is Mick Byrne being kept on?

God i feckin love him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think its good to see most fans have sympathy for Staunton after this debacle.

The guy is still a legend in my eyes for his playing exploits over his long and distinguished career and its a shame the FAI landed him in this mess. I know he had the best interests of Irish international football at heart during his tenure in charge, but it was simply too arduous a task for a man who was still finding his feet in football coaching/management.

Best of luck in the future Stan.

I agree with that and I hope its the general consensus of the majority out there. Ironically, Stan was just a couple of goals shy from being a success, such is the thin line between success and failure. But I have no doubt that no matter who we get in, they will be under the spotlight. This job has seen a lot of churn recently. It will be interesting to see what the new manager does with the same players.

And who knows, maybe Steve will come back to manage the team at some point in the future. He is still young and he may get a chance to manage/learn elsewhere and come back better for it.

So the next chapter begins .... but where will it take us??

South Africa, Brazil ...... who knows .....

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Melion wrote: »

God i feckin love him
    His sister is my next door neighbour. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Melion wrote: »

God i feckin love him

I always liked Charlie O'Leary more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

redspider wrote: »
    Ironically, Stan was just a couple of goals shy from being a success, such is the thin line between success and failure.

A couple of goals i think not.We got lucky away to San Marino and Cyprus at home.That sentence alone should be enough to say he wasn't capable of managing Ireland.Add in a few more god awful performances and bizarre team selections along the way confirms that for me.

He was/is an Irish legend but he himself tarnished that reputation.I seriously doubt he will manage another team and would probably hint that he saw the $$$ and took the job in full knowledge that he didn't know how to manage a team and would probably put us in a worse position than we were in , if he accepted the job.Great player who has set Irish football back a few years.

GG Stan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement