Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J.Krishnamurti

• 24-10-2007 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

What a mind!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

I heard a lot about him so I got a book of his.............. what a load of CRAP!!! It was the most condescending load of tripe Ive ever read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

I have not yet read any of his books but i did see this really good discussion he has with a quantum mechanics professor named David Bohm. It's around an hour long and some of his ideas and philosophies that they go into are amazing.

one of them being that "Thought is limited". He says the brain is limited so any thought or idea that comes from the brain must be limited. And when things are limited they will always bring about problems,opposites and destructiveness.

You can find it on any torrent site and well worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I've only seen some pictures of his "feats of strength" which were hugely questionable tbh.

So i managed to get my hands on one of his books "first and last freedom" and found it to be very interesting and thought provoking. Nothing seemed to be too out there as alot of his points were explained with great detail and in a manner i have never really seen before but still quite easy to understand. I just loved his idea about the evolution of cauntiousness and how awareness and silencing the brain is the only way to evolve cauntiousness (not concience, i know i spelled it wrong)

I kept thinking to myself while reading the book that Kant would completely immerse himself in this mans philosophies and if only the two men had been alive at the same time they would have hammered out some great conclusions to life and so on. ( well maybe not )

Im just curious to know what you all think about some of his ideas and possibly other ideas and philosophers that would argue agaisnt what Krishnamurti thinks. Im just looking for some food for the mind=)

thanks,
    Boggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I don't know enough about the person, but I like the idea mentioned here in his quote - "Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or coerce people along a particular path"

It promotes a freedom and openness that is sometimes forgotten in deference to a path of least social resistance - pressure to conform to a peer group, pressure of religious beliefs etc.

• Advertisement

He seems to always work from the point that the brain is conditioned and the mind is not conditioned and that truth can only come when the brain is quiet. he states that the mind and brain are seperate but there must a point where they do connect.

I always find when i am looking for a solution to a problem that if i keep thinking about it i will go farther away from the answer but when i dont think of it and quieten my thoughts a bit i will always come to the answer.

What you've described there seems like a dumbed down version of the Tao je Ching tbh. Of course the idea of silencing your mind (or words to that effect) aren't exclusive to either the Tao or Krishnamurti.

well i was just giving a synopsis of one of the key things Krishnamrti discusses about (and he talks about it in debth for a good few hours). Whether or not he came up with this philosophy does not matter to me and shouldn matter (only to publishers maybe=). Ive never heard of the tao je ching but do know Krishnamurti follows certain buddhist philosophies (is the tao one of em?), but to be honest those old philosophies are fairly vague and hard to relate to modern times, this is why i like K as he talks in the now and gives specific comparissons and examples on what he is talking about.

Thanks for the heads up on the tao je ching....will look it up.

The Tao is pre-buddhist, its a Chinese text and the basic underpinning of all chinese philosophy. I'm not going to make a complete judgement call on this person's teachings based on just a summary, but I'm still fairly sceptical. Carlos Santana was a member of his group in the 70's and when he left claimed that Krishnamurti was running a cult.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement