Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice needed on a car

Options
  • 24-10-2007 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭

Hi, looked at an 01 Astra 1.4, 80k miles, FSH and I have a few questions for the knowledgeable folk around here. It's a private sale.

1 - What's a correct price for it, how does 4500 sound?
    2 - I drove it for a bit, and compared to other cars (mostly newer), the steering seems a bit heavy (a bit heavier than an 07 focus), and brakes had to be really pressed for the car to stop. Is it normal for this model, am I just used to the more assisted direction/breakes, or could there be something wrong?
    3 - Timing belt was changed at 41k miles, at the next service must be again due? How much would it cost at a main dealer?

Any other sugestions, what to look for, most common problems etc. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Probably worth the money but the TB service could be costly, probably €500+ at least, so you should beat hin down to €4k on that alone.

I think the steering etc. is probably just the character of the car unless they were really heavy but if it wasn't working at all, you would now all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

300 for a timing belt change.

How much should I offer, if the car has it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think Opel reduced their timing belt changes to every 40k miles so if it was done at 41k and there is 80k on the clock then it is due again. Get him to knock around €400 off the selling price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

rocky wrote: »
    300 for a timing belt change.

How much should I offer, if the car has it done?

No point in getting the belt done on it's own. Get a full service while you're at it. I bet the sevice schedule calls for a 'timing belt service' at 80k and not just a timing belt.

Advertisement