Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rule question

• 24-10-2007 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭

This is an argument i was having with a friend and would like some feedback.

When a player is taking penalty kick does he always have to show forward motion. Was it ever the case that referee would ask for the kick to be retaken if they did not.

This came up after watching Ronaldo's penalty tonight.

Heres something i got from another site.
    14.03 I heard that kickers are not allowed to stop their run once they have started forward, and that even hesitations may cause a successful penalty to be called back. Is that true?

Law 14 does not address this question directly. It does stipulate, however, that if the penalty taker infringes the LOTG before the ball is in play, the penalty must be retaken if the ball enters the goal. This might occur in the case you describe if the referee thought the penalty taker's hesitation was a deliberate attempt to put the keeper off-balance before taking the kick; this could be called unsporting behaviour, in which case the player concerned would also be cautioned (shown the yellow card).

Did the rule changes as i see this on another site were the rules just seems to have been clarifed recently
    Feinting to take a penalty kick to confuse opponents is permitted as
    part of football.
    But if in the opinion of the referee, the feinting is considered an act of unsporting behaviour, the player shall be cautioned. This is a direct quote from the Additional Instructions and Guidance [AIG] to the Laws of the Game FIFA's 2007-2008.

I think i remember this being discussed in commentary on games i watched years back but not recently. Has anyone seen a referee ask a player to retake a kick due to this. Anyone have a link to a clip ?

Thanks
    Opr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Loadsa players do it, and I've never seen a peno retaken or a player cautioned. Interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

pretty sure an ireland player got booked and subsequently sent off in an tour of America a few years back for such an offence. i could be wrong but it may have been liam daish?

edit: sorry that was wasting time taking a free kick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I remember the english went nuts in 96 when that happened. they argued at the time similar to what you said, that the action action of taking the peno kick must be one motion or some crap. can't fully remember i was only 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I remember the english went nuts in 96 when that happened. they argued at the time similar to what you said, that the action action of taking the peno kick must be one motion or some crap. can't fully remember i was only 8.

Is this the one your talking about its about 1m30sec into the clip and they actually mention the confusion around the law in commentary on the clip.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_NrAPfDKips

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

yeah i had that in my head too when i saw Ronaldo's tonight, i was sure you had to keep having some sort of motion, you could slow and speed up alright, but not actually stop and start again. Was very surprised the commentators didn't mention it tonight at all. Felt a bit mental when I saw saying "He Stopped His Run!!" and people were just looking like "..so"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Felt a bit mental when I saw saying "He Stopped His Run!!" and people were just looking like "..so"

Yeah my mates tried to convice me i was crazy hence the bit of research and post. It look like we are in the miniority judging from replies !!

Oper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Johnny Aldridge always used to take penos like this, for Ireland anyway.
    Am pretty sure he was told to respot them a few times. It seemed to depend on the refs opinion at the time...

Advertisement