Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 24-10-2007 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so last year in college we had to submit a 400 euro deposit for our student accomodation (run by the college). Long story short, none of us got it back (3 of us in the apartment). I sent an email asking why, they outlined some reasons and to be honest, I didnt think it was worth the hassle pursuing it. What they listed was true, but should not have cost anywhere near the 400 euro mark but I let it be. Now however, having spoke to one of my ex room mates, apparently his mother rang them. She wasnt as pleasant about it as I was and threatened legal action to get the deposit back. They caved and he got it.

Now, I dont want to start legal action against them but im about to write them an angry email. Should I threaten legal action? Am I even in the right to threaten legal action? I mean, basically they have admitted they were wrong by already returning one of the deposits, yes? Im not living there anymore (not even in the same college so I dont know if that makes any difference).

Any advice? Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You probably have to go via the PRTB. www.prtb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Why don't you get your mammy to ring, doing the sam rthing your mates ma did ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Was your college DCU by any chance? The campus accomodation department there are a bit over-energetic when it comes to keeping deposits, they've been known to hold back silly amounts for small things in the past. If you do decide to contact them, don't do it by email, it's too easy to ignore. Ring them, tell them that your friend got his deposit back (assuming you were both given the same reasons?) and ask what the difference is.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

It's not just DCU that are over zealous in keeping deposits. I lived in student accommodation in Waterford a couple of years ago. Paid a fairly hefty deposit which the college decided they didn't want to give back. Gave a load of rubbish excuses about it not being clean enough. This was despite the fact that they had sent around a cleaning checklist and everything on it was done.

So I rang them up and gave them hell over it, they caved pretty quick too!

I don't see why you wouldn't pursue it. I don't mean to stereotype students but is there really anyway you could afford to write off €400? Surely it would come in handy at some point?

If I were you I'd send them an email (always good to have these things in writing) asking them to explain why they returned your flatmates deposit and not yours? And if they still refuse to hand it back ask for a detailed list of the charges and explanations for each charge.

Advertisement