Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help with choosing a new laptop, please

• 24-10-2007 3:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi All,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to look at this.
    Secondly, if you think there is something else I should be looking at, please let me know!

I'm considering changing my laptop. My current is a DELL Inspiron and I'm pretty happy with it, but I have the opportunity to have one purchased for me in the US which i can pick up when I'm there next month. My budget is approx 1200 $US

Which of the laptops below would you go for?
    What OS would you get with it?

What I want:
    a good value, reasonable spec laptop that will see me through the next 3-4 years at least.
    something robust (good battery, dependable etc)
    a high res screen (I'm thinking SXGA+ but im not married to it)

What I will use it for:
    Images and image processing (we're not talking photoshop here, mainly grayscale images)
    word processing, presentations etc.
    internet (obv)
    Skype (computer to computer and VOIP calls to Irish landlines when abroad)
    DVDs
    online poker
    (note to say I'm not a PC gamer, I prefer console games)
    (also, I'm usually doing 2 or 3 of the above simultaneously)

Vista or XP?

-for the dell listed below it is the same price with either Vista or XP and 99$ extra to upgrade to Vista Business/XP pro.
    -I've heard bad things about Vista being bloated and some older software being incompatible with it, but I got hold of a friends new Vista laptop the other day and was very surprised when two old pieces of software I use for college on a very regular basis installed and worked fine (it was Vista Home)
    edit: Its likely I will need to be able to have remote access to a XP machine through my new laptop. I assume this can be done through Vista?

the dell and HP are about the same price the Lenovo is a little pricier.

DELL VOSTRO

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic edit
    LCD PANEL 15.4 in Wide Screen SXGA+LCD Display w/TrueLife™ edit
    MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM edit
    HARD DRIVE 120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability edit
    VIDEO CARD 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS edit
    MEDIA DIRECT Dell Exclusive MediaDirect™ Instant Play Software Application edit
    WI-FI WIRELESS CARD Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card edit
    BLUETOOTH WIRELESS Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate), Vista edit
    WEBCAM Integrated 2.0 mega pixel Web Camera edit
    BATTERIES 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
    WARRANTY & SERVICE 2 Year Limited Hardware Warranty with Next Business Day On-Site Service

LENOVO N series:

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 (2GHz, 4MBL2, 800MHzFSB)
    Operating system: Genuine Windows Vista Business
    Display type: 15.4 inches WSXGA+ VibrantView TFT with integrated camera LCD Glossy (1680x1050) (Silver) 1
    System graphics: 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 with Turbo Cache
    Total memory: 1GB PC2-5300DDR2 SDRAM (upgraded to 2GB,see below)
    Hard drive: 160GB, 5400rpm Serial ATA 1
    Optical device: 8X Max DVD Recordable (Dual Layer) PATA Fixed Media Bay drive 1
    Wireless cards: Bluetooth Version 2.0 + EDR, Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN 1
    Security features: Integrated fingerprint reader
    Battery: 6 Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
    2 Year depot repair exchange 9x5 Next Business Day 41K0545
    1GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM SODIMM Memory

HP dv6500t series

Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) edit
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB) edit
    Display 15.4" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800) edit
    Memory $50 OFF upgrade from 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) to 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)! edit
    Graphics Card 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS edit
    Personalization HP Imprint (Radiance) + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam + Microphone edit
    Networking Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection edit
    Hard Drive 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
    Primary CD/DVD Drive FREE Upgrade to LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support!! edit
    Primary Battery High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery edit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I'd be sold on the Lenovo personally, have seen a few of them and quite like them. They , as far as I recall also have a international warranty but you might want to check into that.
    I think it would meet all your criteria and if you didn't go for it I would choose the Vostro and place HP third in your list. Which one do you personally think you would prefere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'd recommend the Lenovo too. I've been using IBM/Lenovo for the past 10 years and couldn't fault them for sheer quality.

They are that bit more expensive compared to Dell, but think of it as British Airways vs. Ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Another vote for Lenovo. That one should be pretty cheap though relatively speaking, I know all the models on laptopsdirect with the old 7200/7300 cards were going for very reasonable prices lately. Id' probably chose the HP last to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 godsent

I'm in favor of Lenovo as well.. and america is the best place to buy a thinkpad... go for T-series if you can..it's not that expensive in states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just to break the trend, I'm not in favour of the Lenovo, I have a N series and the build quality is good but it's heavy and looks awful. The hard drives in IBM/Lenovo's fail at an incredible rate, I used to work in a company that had 2,500 IBM thinkpads on site T40 to T43 and we had at least 2 hard drive failures a week!

If I was buying an IBM/Lenovo it would be the IBM Thinkpad T60, its much better built and my T43 was much better than my Lenovo N200 although the spec was very simalar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭lovetwix

irish1 wrote: »
    Just to break the trend, I'm not in favour of the Lenovo, I have a N series and the build quality is good but it's heavy and looks awful. The hard drives in IBM/Lenovo's fail at an incredible rate, I used to work in a company that had 2,500 IBM thinkpads on site T40 to T43 and we had at least 2 hard drive failures a week!

If I was buying an IBM/Lenovo it would be the IBM Thinkpad T60, its much better built and my T43 was much better than my Lenovo N200 although the spec was very simalar

:D we all know thinkpad look heavy and awful ..:cool:

Get a T60 or T61, T series are way more better than others...just checked lenovo site, the following costs like $1150, it's not bad at all..
    ThinkPad T61 15 Widescreen
    Ships within 2-3 weeks** $1,146.75 $1,146.75
    Intel Core? 2 Duo T7250 (2.0GHz 800MHz 2MBL2)[1]
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium[12]
    15.4 WXGA TFT
    NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M (128MB)
    2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)[8]
    UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
    160GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm[4]
    CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim[5]
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG[10]
    6 cell Li-Ion Battery[60]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I must be missing something here, you can get a Vostro 1500 over here that is nearly the exact same as that for €800 .

Thinkpad much better build quality though...Also, the Thinkpad comes with a Quadro which usually cost considerably more then their geforce counterparts...

Ok cool I was not aware build quility of dells is not that great

But aren't they (Quadros) aimed at 3d designers?

It's not that Dell are a of a poor build quality, I've always found their desktops and laptops to be fairly solid. But the Thinkpad is just better. You can apply that to any manufacturer of any product. Just because one is better doesn't mean the other one isn't good.

Yeah the Quadro is this case I suppose isn't really a positive given the intended uses. Have a look at Quadros for sale on dabs.ie etc though. The prices are enough to produce tears. :D

Also, SXGA is standard for a long time now and would not be considered high res at all. You'd only find a lower resolution in ultraportables...

edit: Though a laptop wouldn't actually be 1280x1024 it'd be 1280x800 (Wxga or whatever), but you get what I mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

I must be missing something here, you can get a Vostro 1500 over here that is nearly the exact same as that for €800 .
    the vostro with the spec i want is EURO 1,194.98 here (incl VAT and del)
    USD 1,264.74 in the states (incl tax and del)

Thanks for all the replies so far, I really, REALLY, appreciate all the advice.

I went back and looked at a T61 vs a Vostro 1500
    prices work out $ 1,352.22 (T61) vs $1,264.74 (Vostro), that T61 has the Intel GMA X3100 GM965 , I'm assuming from Havoks post I dont really need the NVIDIA Quadro. I know very little about graphics cards. Advice on this area would be appreciated.

The main differences in the systems are
    Vostro: 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS T61: Intel GMA X3100 GM965
    Vostro: 120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive T61: 100GB Hard Disk Drive,7200rpm
    Vostro: 8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer T61: CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo
    Vostro: Integrated webam T61: no webcam

I'm not too pushed about having a DVD burner, but I really like the idea of an integrated webcam.

full specs of both systems are included below

Given the above, is the T61 the clear winner? Is it worth the extra 100$? I could get the prices a little closer by losing the 100G 7200rpm HD off the T61 and replacing it with a 5400rpm drive

Thanks again folks.

Vostro 1500 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
    Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Business
    LCD Panel 15.4 in Wide Screen SXGA+LCD Display w/TrueLife™
    Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
    Video Cards 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS
    Hard Drive 120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Integrated NIC and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
    Optical Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability
    Sound Card High Definition Audio 2.0
    Wireless Cards Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card
    Camera Integrated 2.0 mega pixel Web Camera
    Primary Battery 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    Limited Warranty, Services and Support 2 Year Limited Hardware Warranty with Next Business Day On-Site Service
    Bluetooth Wireless Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate), Vista

System Processor: Intel? Core? 2 Duo T7250 (2.0GHz 800MHz 2MBL2) 1
    Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Business 1
    Display Panel: 15.4 WSXGA+ TFT 1
    System graphics: Intel GMA X3100 GM965 1
    Total memory: 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM) 1
    Hard Drive: 100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm 1
    Optical device: CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim 1
    Card Reader: 4 in 1 Media Card Reader 1
    Wireless cards: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG 1
    Bluetooth: Integrated Bluetooth PAN 1
    Battery: 9 cell Li-Ion Battery 1
    2 year depot 9x5 Next Business Day 41C9169

Dos the 6 cell battery stick out of the 1500 vostro's or is it ouly the 9 cell battery that sticks out?

sendic wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies so far, I really, REALLY, appreciate all the advice.

I went back and looked at a T61 vs a Vostro 1500
    prices work out $ 1,352.22 (T61) vs $1,264.74 (Vostro), that T61 has the Intel GMA X3100 GM965 , I'm assuming from Havoks post I dont really need the NVIDIA Quadro. I know very little about graphics cards. Advice on this area would be appreciated.

The main differences in the systems are
    Vostro: 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS T61: Intel GMA X3100 GM965
    Vostro: 120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive T61: 100GB Hard Disk Drive,7200rpm
    Vostro: 8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer T61: CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo
    Vostro: Integrated webam T61: no webcam

where did you get that price for T61..weird..as I posted above and I doubled checked lenovo site again, applying the offer it's running atm, the following spec only costs $1150
    ThinkPad T61 15 Widescreen
    Intel Core? 2 Duo T7250 (2.0GHz 800MHz 2MBL2)[1]
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium[12]
    15.4 WXGA TFT
    NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M (128MB)
    2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)[8]
    UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
    160GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm[4]
    CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim[5]
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG[10]
    6 cell Li-Ion Battery[60]

Quardro 140m is a fair delicated graphic card tho..its performance is very close to Geforce 8400M GS, you would expect around 3000 in 3d marks 2005, but it performs better in CAD applications.

I'm not saying inspiron/vostro is bad...but most people would believe IBM/Lenovo thinkpad have a better quality.. I would buy a thinkpad if I were in states..

The X3100 would be far better then the Quadro (or the 8400 for that matter) in your case, gives better battery life/less heat. I'm surprised the Thinkpad only has a DVD-Rom, but all in all, I'd still probably opt for that over the Dell. But to be honest, both are nice machines, and either will serve you well. The Dell, to its credit, has a better video card, bigger hard drive, and better optical drive. So it all depends on whether those things actually make any difference to you.

lovetwix wrote: »
    where did you get that price for T61..weird..as I posted above and I doubled checked lenovo site again, applying the offer it's running atm, the following spec only costs $1150
    the laptop I spec'd had a few extras; Vista Business; 15.4 WSXGA+, 9 cell battery, 2 year warranty

Thanks for all your input folks, I'm going to do a bit more looking around for prices, but I'm 99% sure I'll go for the thinkpad now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

sendic wrote: »
    the laptop I spec'd had a few extras; Vista Business; 15.4 WSXGA+, 9 cell battery, 2 year warranty

Thanks for all your input folks, I'm going to do a bit more looking around for prices, but I'm 99% sure I'll go for the thinkpad now.

So the T61 is more expensive and has marginally lower specs. Especially in relation to the optical drive and graphics card (which you say is not highly essential anyway so that probably doesn't matter). But also no integrated webcam which you need.

How much sexier is the T61 anyway?? or is it just waaay sturdier?? :rolleyes:

(Based on this picture it won't be winning any beauty awards in my eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ollyk1 wrote: »
    How much sexier is the T61 anyway?? or is it just waaay sturdier?? :rolleyes:

As a long-time owner of IBM/Lenovo laptops I can say for certain they won't be winning any beauty pageants. Sexy is certainly something you would not say about these laptops. More, well, comfy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

tom dunne wrote: »
    As a long-time owner of IBM/Lenovo laptops I can say for certain they won't be winning any beauty pageants. Sexy is certainly something you would not say about these laptops. More, well, comfy. :)

Hey I'm not knocking comfy Tom!! ;) Neither laptop is a thing of beauty but they will both do the job.

My point is the OP looks like he's willing to pay $100, plus the cost of a webcam and inferior graphics performance to get the T61 and I'm just asking why.

I guess in an ideal world someone who has owned both machines would come along and say which they consider to be the better value but for me having seen and used a dell vostro and knowing Dells reputation for decent (but not spectacular machines) I'd imagine that this would be a simple decision about which is the better value.

I'm hoping some of the Lenovo advocates can come along and argue why this shouldn't be the case.

P.S. I actually think a dvd burner is a very useful feature and I'm wondering why the OP doesn't regard this as important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Dos the 6 cell battery stick out of the 1500 vostro's or is it ouly the 9 cell battery that sticks out?

nope just the 9

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A lot of people are saying go for the lenovo. Now I've never used one so I can't say if they are good or not but I've never heard anything negative about them. Also the fact a lot of people are recommending them shows they must be good. Saying that though I've had numerous dells over the years and I've never had a single hardware fault with one of them yet. The vostro works out cheaper too so I would have to recommend that.

But also no integrated webcam which you need.

(Based on this picture it won't be winning any beauty awards in my eyes!

I'd like an integrated webcam but can live without one.
    this wont be the first time a minger sat on my lap :(
    P.S. I actually think a dvd burner is a very useful feature and I'm wondering why the OP doesn't regard this as important.
    I can't see myself using one. I prefer using my external HD. maybe I should reconsider though

HavoK wrote: »
    The X3100 would be far better then the Quadro (or the 8400 for that matter) in your case, gives better battery life/less heat. I'm surprised the Thinkpad only has a DVD-Rom, but all in all, I'd still probably opt for that over the Dell. But to be honest, both are nice machines, and either will serve you well. The Dell, to its credit, has a better video card, bigger hard drive, and better optical drive. So it all depends on whether those things actually make any difference to you.

but the performance of X3100 is .... :( nearly hit bottom of the table

check out http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html?&or=&search=&sort=sorting&type=specs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

check out http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html?&or=&search=&sort=sorting&type=specs

If he isn't gaming then it doesn't matter what it performs like. It will give him a better battery life though.

What does that matter though? The OP said he wouldn't be gaming, so the X3100 is actually an idea solution - less heat, better battery. And that said, it can handle most recent-ish games (think Half Life 2, BF2, Dawn of War, etc) fine, and is more powerful then Ati X200 or Nvidia 6150 - the popular mainstream integrated parts in current cheap laptops - in most cases. It's a good option in my opinion for the older games player and also non-games player.

ya..I see...if the op wouldn't be gaming.. X1300 is not too bad

Advertisement