Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online Gamer Dies After 3 Day Online Marathon

• 24-10-2007 3:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭

Online Gamer Dies After 3 Day Online Marathon

A 30 year-old Chinese internet user dropped dead after a three day online marathon at a local cybercafe.
    The man collapsed at his computer and medical personnel were not able to revive him.

“According to preliminary findings, the length of time this man spent online might have triggered heart problems,” the paper
    quoted a local hospital emergency medic in the city of Zhongshan as saying.

China’s government has taken steps to combat the online problem by offering warnings within the games as well as asking
    online gaming sites to deduct points from gamers who play too long.

Although with companies willing to let their players pay their monthly fees by donating blood, it is likely to get worse before
    getting better. Earlier this year in February, a 26 year-old obese gamer died in a similar situation and caused an outbreak of
    concern in China.

Wonder what game he was playing?

Tetris ftw.

Here lies a.... 112 votes

Hero
    0%
    Idiot
    17%
    dRNk SAnTAJIZZLORDCalidenUser45701Mr. CooL ICERandomBinomateMooseJammwrfBurning EclipseDirk GentlyJesus Weptaoife2kleninbenjaminZorbaTehZarybvtcw0eolkfGaladrielansionnachclistwykKirby 20 votes
    Atari Binge-AR
    82%
    StephenWhiteWashManVictorFunkyChickenSputnikazezilZombrexnesfMossy Monk_Kaiser_entropiKintarō HattoriShamoKaromaHagarWackerCivilServantjustsomeblokeNevynBlisterman 92 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Vidya games are bad..mmmkay. How many more lives will the evil gamesmaster claim?!?! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Idiot
    Maybe after a couple a couple of days the internet cafe should turf them out. :p They must start getting a bit deranged, and smelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

pwned !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Idiot
    Probably playing Lineage 2. That game is a soul killer but I dont see why he didn't get a bot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Did he not try to revive himself?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

online gaming seven, cannabis 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Atari Binge-AR
    Mordeth wrote: »

youre right!

i should start to smoke pot straight away.
    your clear and well thought out argument has won me over!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that was my intention from the very beginning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Atari Binge-AR
    The good news is he was found to have re-spawned in an internet cafe two streets away, the bad news is he lost all his weapons and was only left with a knife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Idiot
    one of these stories pops up every couple of months. it's always either a korean or chinese gamer. i rememeber reading that the chinese government were trying to enforce a mandatory downtime for internet cafes. There was also a funny snippet in the fortean times about how with mandatory national service in korea, ex military trained gamers would often get into street brawls with members of other online gaming clans :D

just google: gamer dies online hours and you'll see that this isn't a once off. there was another case a while back where a married couple spent all their time online and, er... forgot to take care of their baby, who died due to neglect while they were gaming for several hours straight (a day or two)

edit : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4183340.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Atari Binge-AR
    Rabies wrote: »
    Did he not try to revive himself?
    Maybe he was out of Phoenix Downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Atari Binge-AR
    Hagar wrote: »
    The good news is he was found to have re-spawned in an internet cafe two streets away, the bad news is he lost all his weapons and was only left with a knife.

:D:D:D

Definitely an idiot.... Three DAYS?? Where were his friends and family? Or should I just assume he didn't have any...? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

did he drop any good loot?

Wow.

If I played GTA for 3 days straight, I'd probably try and steal a car and smack up some hoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

0ubliette wrote: »
    did he drop any good loot?

dibs on his stuff, Kek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Atari Binge-AR
    I used to be seriously fucked up just after 24hr lan's, can't imagine going for 3 frackin days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Atari Binge-AR
    Must be a cheap internet cafe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Respawn dude, respawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Idiot
    Oriel wrote: »
    Respawn dude, respawn.

Roflcopter!!!111!!

I voted Hero... In all reality though, he was an idiot to do that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Idiot
    To the roflcopter!!!!!!!1111!eleventyone!!1

http://members.cox.net/pimpbot9000/roflcopter.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Atari Binge-AR
    pwned !

haha usually hate leet talk but that made me laugh.

Here lies an idiot imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Atari Binge-AR
    I can picture the headlines now...

Boards.ie member collapses and dies after non-stop 9 day cat picture and After Hours binge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Atari Binge-AR
    I <3 natural selection in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Idiot
    Seriously. On-line computer games need to be banned. How many stories like this will it take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Idiot
    Mordeth wrote: »

Im so robbing that

Idiot
    User45701 wrote: »
    Im so robbing that

That's cannabis for you, leads people to larceny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Idiot
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Must be a cheap internet cafe.

Maybe it was the bill they presented to him after 3 days that made his heart stop.

WYK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Atari Binge-AR
    Binomate wrote: »
    Seriously. On-line computer games need to be banned. How many stories like this will it take?

Yes, thats a rational action. Not at all a 'walnut with a sledgehammer' solution.

Idiot
    Yes, thats a rational action. Not at all a 'walnut with a sledgehammer' solution.
    It will save lives. Computer games are destructive, both mentally and physically. It is a perfectly rational solution to a growing problem.

• Advertisement

Atari Binge-AR
    It will save lives. Computer games are destructive, both mentally and physically. It is a perfectly rational solution to a growing problem.

So lets ban alcohol then. Then maybe we should ban fatty foods. Sound good?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

3 day benders with little or no sleep are quite common in Ireland, but people survive them. I wonder, does 3 days of the same activity kill you, but alcohol acts as some kind of preserving agent keeping you nice and fresh (and alive) for the monday morning?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Atari Binge-AR
    killed the messenger?

Idiot
    So lets ban alcohol then. Then maybe we should ban fatty foods. Sound good?
    No, this is different, because they can both be positive things. Computer games are 100% negative and destructive and should be banned. Studies have shown that computer games and the effect they have on the subconscious mind are responsible for more than 20% of all murders committed in the world.

Also, they are ungodly and blasphemous. Why do you think so many counter strike players are atheists? Did Jesus play computer games? No, he didn't. That just proves that computer games are satanic and need to be banned before it's too late. Come back to me when you have a valid argument. Otherwise, I'm just not going to bother responding.

Atari Binge-AR
    No, this is different, because they can both be positive things. Computer games are 100% negative and destructive and should be banned. Studies have shown that computer games and the effect they have on the subconscious mind are responsible for more than 20% of all murders committed in the world.

Also, they are ungodly and blasphemous. Why do you think so many counter strike players are atheists? Did Jesus play computer games? No, he didn't. That just proves that computer games are satanic and need to be banned before it's too late. Come back to me when you have a valid argument. Otherwise, I'm just not going to bother responding.

Troll. You stepped way too far out man, blew your cover.

Idiot

But on the 7th day, didn't God and Jebus have a head to head game of doom, and he saw that it was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Atari Binge-AR
    Troll. You stepped way too far out man, blew your cover.

True. He was doing great til he used all his material in one post. <sorrowful shake of the head>

Atari Binge-AR
    cornbb wrote: »
    True. He was doing great til he used all his material in one post. <sorrowful shake of the head>

Yeah, schoolboy error. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Although with companies willing to let their players pay their monthly fees by donating blood, it is likely to get worse before getting better.

*boggley woggley*

Idiot
    Sorry. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Atari Binge-AR

The fact that you are a fellow atheist, sprouting something that fundamentalist Christians usually whinge on about constantly, gave it away instantly for me:D
    The guy was a fool tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

The-Rigger wrote: »
    A 30 year-old Chinese internet user dropped dead after a three day online marathon at a local cybercafe.
    The man collapsed at his computer and medical personnel were not able to revive him.

cooldowns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Atari Binge-AR
    cornbb wrote: »

Nah, his initial post wasn't subtle enough. He might as well have put [Troll] tags around it.

Atari Binge-AR
    [troll] Yeah i agree [/troll]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Atari Binge-AR
    His heart froze? Did they try pushing ctrl-alt-delete on it over and over again in rhythm and putting a blow-up dolls mouth over his after every tenth push?

I was taught it in nerd first aid, if only I had been there for the poor guy........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Fools, they should have put the keyboard in his hands so he could type:
    "rez plz!":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Idiot
    He's not dead, he has rez sickness. He'll be grand in 10 minutes

He probably lost 10% of his clothes though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Atari Binge-AR
    pwned !

true that... he truly was an idiot, all REAL gamers know that admin has locked out all respawn points in RL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Wonder if his dieing stopped the other gamers from continuinng on themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

This is more common than you think, only the international media only picks up on it once a year, guaranteed some time next year you'll hear the exact same story as we did last year. :D

Idiot
    Perhaps these hardcore gamers should be immortalised in their own game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement