Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Rip-Off ?????

Options
  • 24-10-2007 7:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

During the last week Volkswagen has announced that they are introducing the 1.4 TSI 122bhp engine into the Passat range.

Because of the smaller engine size and lower VRT, price will increase by only €170 for the base model and cost has been set at €26,280. If you look at the VW website the price for the Passat 1.4 TSI base model is €27,970. The same article was reported in a few newspapers.

Can someone explain the difference? I doubt its delivery.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If anything the price should actually decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The tsi engine will cost a lot more to produce than the old coal burning 1.6 (assuming that was the previous base model). Turbos cost big bucks. The push towards downsizing capacity but keeping the power up by using turbos is being driven by emissions requirements. Nobody said it was going to be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The tsi engine will cost a lot more to produce than the old coal burning 1.6 (assuming that was the previous base model). Turbos cost big bucks. The push towards downsizing capacity but keeping the power up by using turbos is being driven by emissions requirements. Nobody said it was going to be free.

I'm not saying it's going to be free. My point was that the price quoted in the newspaper article is different than that on the VW website. One would assume that the article was produced by the VW marketing dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What did MSL say when you asked them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The figure of €27,970 is for the Variant. I've just had it confirmed that the cost of a 1.4TSI 122bhp Passat Base Saloon is €26,280 ex. works.

As the rest of the Passat range has had a price increase this works out cheaper by €235 than what the outgoing 1.6Fsi would have cost. Base model will now also come as standard with Front Armrest and Front Fog Lights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Folks,

Have just looked at the VW website again and the prices have changed to what I viewed last night.

I swear that the web page I was on was for the saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The push towards downsizing capacity but keeping the power up by using turbos is being driven by emissions requirements.

Don't mean to go off-topic, just curious, does a turbo'd 'small' engine produce produce less emmissions than a 'big' N/A engine of equivalent BHP?

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

dcGT wrote: »
    Don't mean to go off-topic, just curious, does a turbo'd 'small' engine produce produce less emmissions than a 'big' N/A engine of equivalent BHP?

DC.

Generally yes. That's why so many european manufacturers are starting to make small turbo'd engines e.g. vw 1.4 turbo & 1.4 twin charged, renault 1.2 turbo, peugeot 1.4 turbo, fiat 1.4 turbo (and soon to come 900cc, 2 cylinder turbo with 120bhp :eek:).

Advertisement