Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCITP:Database developer

Options
  • 24-10-2007 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Just wondering has anyone attempted this exam. I have the MCTS(70-431) already for it, so its a case of doing 2 exams (70-441 && 70-442).

So looking for people who have tried it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I am also looking at this exam. Unfortunately I have three to do....
    Gonna be buying a book as soon as possible.
    How much time did people spend studying before doing the exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I did a post on the 70-431 exam

In relation to how long you should study. Kinda like a piece of string question. Depending on your experience with the software or product, it can be anything from just walking in and doing the exam or spending 2 or 3 months reading and practicing.

Are you working on SQL Server 2005 every day, and in what context?

Yea I've been looking at that post quite a lot - it's bookmarked :)

Unfortunately I am not working on SQL Server, but I am doing some SQL practice at home via Xampp
    XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just download, extract and start.

The plan is to order the book, try to put in about 10 hours a week see how I get on from there.

Ok...

mySQL is very very different from SQL Server. Some of the stuff in SQL Server is very unique to MS. Such as the CLR and the HTTP endpoints stuff and windows security.

I would be downloading the trial version and start there. Doing the XAMPP route might just confuse the issue. The more familiar you are with SQL server the better chance of getting it. Doing the XAMPP way, is for me kinda like doing French to learn English if you get me.

If you arent working with it in a production environment, it will be kinda difficult due to the whole security focus, the .net stuff and other bits. Getting the book will get you so far, the whole practical experience is fairly much a requirement for the exam, hence getting the trial software installed and working.

Cool thanks for that.

I was doing the whole PHP/mySQL route for a while but decided to look at getting a some sort of cert as I don't have enough field experience to start applying for jobs.

Hopefully the trial software will install ok, need to get that VirtualPC software thought.

Thanks for the advice though, greatly appreciated. Hopefully we'll find someone to help with the other two exams...

• Advertisement

Hmm maybe you should consider the mySQL certifications or Zend ones

Zend
    mySQL

There is a Developer track on mySQL as well

Ginger wrote: »
    Hmm maybe you should consider the mySQL certifications or Zend ones

Zend
    mySQL

There is a Developer track on mySQL as well

It sounds like you would recommend having some field experience in ms databases before doing the MCITP - or have I picked it up wrong.

Yes you picked up right. The reason I would say go for the ones that you are currently working in, is that the knowledge acquisition will be easier. (man guess who is doing documentation today!!)

Mainly the two pro exams are case study based so you will need to be very familiar with a lot of aspects of the MS techs before attempting it.

But if you are looking to change techs then maybe its better to get some experience in it before attempting the exams.

The exams are geared at people with 1 to 2 years+ experience in SQL Server with the DB dev being people with 3 years and up experience in writing TSQL, programming against the database, and experienced in using SQL 2005.

While the 70-431 exam is possibly one of the easier MCPs out there, it still requires a fair bit of knowledge on the subject matter.

Depends on what you are using the certs for, whether its to leverage a better pay deal out of your current employer or to move into a different part of the market.

Are you currently working in the PHP/mySQL line or are you still in education?

I am currently working as an assistant team manger on a service desk. The reason I want to change is because I had an interest in SQL/Databases when doing my course in college.

Another influencing factor is being an assistant team manager sucks. A lot.

So in answer to your question, I would like to move to a different part of the market.

Hmmm.. ok.

I would try for the MCTS, but if you find yourself struggling, it might not be no harm to look at the mySQL certification. Not because its easier or anything, its that you have more experience in that software.

Using just the books and the software to get certified will be difficult i feel without real world experience.

• Advertisement

Coolio....thanks for the advise anyway, really helpful. Must have a think about it.

On a whim, booked the 70-441 exam for next tuesday. Free second shot so no biggie really, but i really should study!

I did the 70-441 exam this morning and passed it. Its a case study based exam so its a little bit easier as there is no coding involved, but you do end up reading quite a bit and working through designs in your head.

Because its testlet based, you have to complete each one and you cant do a final review of them all. Once you complete it and say you are finished with it you cant go back to it.

All in all, not the worst one I have done, but still tricky in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Nice one, Congrats!!

One more under your belt :)

Yup and the 70-442 exam is booked for the 11th of Jan next year. That will be tough because I expect it to be more code based if it follows the MCPD style. 1 Architect and 1 Code based.

Will let you know how i get on...

Right completed the 442 exam and passed. So now have completed the MCITP DB Dev cert. Another one!!!!

Advertisement