Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox Live Update fails to download

• 24-10-2007 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Was getting my nephews 360 onto Xbox live for him last night, but ran into a problem.

Connected the 360 directly to the router, it passes all of the network tests, then it gets to connect to Xbox live bit. It says there is an update to be downloaded, so I said yes to download.

It just sat there for a couple of seconds, and returns an "Update failed" error message.

I rang Xbox support, and they got me to do the old hidden hard drive maintenance do-hickey. Made no difference.

Xbox support are suggesting theres a problem with the HDD, and it may need to be either replaced or formatted.

Anyone else ever had that problem? Anyone know of any other potential solutions? Cant seem to find anything on web about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

LOL, I had the exact same problem yesterday. Hadn't connected to Live in months as I had only been using the 48hour vouchers so got myself the USB wireless thingy and a 12 month membership so set about connecting that up. Couldn't download the update and couldn't figure out what had changed since I last connected. Then I remembered I had reset my router back to the factory settings at one stage which set the firewall settings back to medium.
    You'll have to change the firewall settings to Low to be able to download the update, and for me anyway, leave it at low to use Live properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Jip wrote: »
    LOL, I had the exact same problem yesterday. Hadn't connected to Live in months as I had only been using the 48hour vouchers so got myself the USB wireless thingy and a 12 month membership so set about connecting that up. Couldn't download the update and couldn't figure out what had changed since I last connected. Then I remembered I had reset my router back to the factory settings at one stage which set the firewall settings back to medium.
    You'll have to change the firewall settings to Low to be able to download the update, and for me anyway, leave it at low to use Live properly.

Ok, I'll give that a try...formatting hard drive must be a last..last resort :):)

Are there any security issues having the routers firewall set to low where it is directly connected to the xbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

what sort of router are you using it maybe NAT or a firewall feature on it that is causing it. I had a similar problem with my eircom router when setting up LIVE for the first time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

sounds like your routers firewall is blocking Live. Stick it to Low and you should be fine.

Its eircoms Netopia router. I enabled the Xbox live route on the router during set-up.

I didn't have any trouble with my own 360, its just odd that it passes all of the network/internet tests but cant download the update. Doesn't this indicate that it can talk to the live service?

But I'll give it a go on the firewall setting.

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I had this problem on 1mb NTL, i couldnt dl the update while someone used the pc internet downstairs, left it idle and the update downloaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

If its the eircom router its deffo the firewall! I know, I'm always telling customers how to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Doffaldinho

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    Its eircoms Netopia router. I enabled the Xbox live route on the router during set-up.

I didn't have any trouble with my own 360, its just odd that it passes all of the network/internet tests but cant download the update. Doesn't this indicate that it can talk to the live service?

But I'll give it a go on the firewall setting.

Thanks for the help

I had the exact same problem, Set your Firewall to Low in the Router settings and open some Ports.

http://www.portforward.com

Cheers Guys. Set the routers firewall to Low and it sorted the problem.

With it at low, should I be worried about people hacking into my PC or such?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

• Advertisement
Advertisement