Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ireland Manager

Options
  • 24-10-2007 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

so ive been expecting Stan to be given the elbow for the last while ( along with the rest of the country) and have been wondering who the next manager would be.
    considering that there are not exactly people knocking down the doors of the FAI to get into the role my theory is that Chris Hughton would be worth a €10* bet. ( think PP are offering 20-1 on this.)
    -hes currently the Assistant manager for Spurs after working his way up from the U21 team in 1993. he also is one of the most qualified coaches ( in badge terms ) in England.
    also considering his future may not be a certainty given that Jol could get the P45 soon , this might be a good opportunity for him to step into the main role. i know he was second fiddle to Kerr but looking back i think we'd all have kept kerr sooner than get in stan....
    i dont think that O 'Leary will get the role - nor will the usual suspects that are mentioned around the times Ireland are looking for a new manager.
    anyways , thoughts/ views?

*ill not be refunding anyones bets if i am worng! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hughton has survived the sacking of a few Spurs managers so there is a good chance he will survived this one.

I never bet on the manager market as its far to unpredictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The only one I'd consider is Souness and that'd be if the odds are right. The team needs that kind of manager, he turned down a premiership job and he and the FAI might feel he'd get an easier ride with the press being experienced and with his work with RTE.

Personally, I hope it's Brady

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd take the field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

Dub13 wrote: »
    Hughton has survived the sacking of a few Spurs managers so there is a good chance he will survived this one.

I never bet on the manager market as its far to unpredictable.

yea thats true enough...... but there is only so long he'll stay as an assistant. he's gotta take the plunge sooner or later?
    Bubs101 wrote: »

Personally, I hope it's Brady

dont think Brady would go for it.... he has a good number with Arsenal and the FAI prob couldnt afford him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Have betfair opened a market yet (can't check now...)

Made decent mooney laying Phil Scolari for the English job. Loads of trading oppurtunites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Hughton is a complete moron which would count against him if it were any other country but it's probably a plus for Ireland. Dreadful bet I think, but who knows what those idiots in the FAI will do...probably appoint the guy with biggest odds they have lumped money on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

Just looking at the betting for new ireland manager and stephen kelly stood out at 66/1 could be worth a wager considering hes probably on his way out of dunfermlin and he would know the irish soccer scene well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

stick to the lotto or somethnig similar....its the FAI people!
    bet on delaney himself taking the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

dotsflan wrote: »
    Just looking at the betting for new ireland manager and stephen kelly stood out at 66/1 could be worth a wager considering hes probably on his way out of dunfermlin and he would know the irish soccer scene well

About 6 weeks ago I think he was as short as 10/1

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Anyone have any opinions on jol? 17 on betfair. It seems hughton is leaving aswell could this be the dream team to take ireland to 2010??! Also does anyone know what happens if its a joint manager? Say in the above case if you had hughton and jol backed and they were made joint manager would bookies pay out on both?? Last big appointment it happened in was Houllier and Evans as far as I remember??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

wixfjord wrote: »
    Also does anyone know what happens if its a joint manager?

I imagine this would be treated as a dead heat with both paid at full odds to half your stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I don't think the FAI will go down the whole inexperienced assistant/coach route after it ended so disasterously last time. I'm on O' Leary at 4.5 and 4.2 on betfair, he'll definitely be getting an interview at very least with the FAI and should trade at a lower price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

It'll be a sad day for the country if Brady is ever offered a job like that. The man is a total mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

dotsflan wrote: »

Wow, he hasn't even retired from playing yet.

Its Stephen Kenny. And he definitely won't get it. The FAI will have to pick someone who the general public will appreciate, after the last farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Ruud Gullit 40-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

who are they going to choose to pick the new manager ?........

crazy situation ,... they cant decide amongst themselves ??? !!!

so, somebody's going to get paid a fat stack o' cash to "Pin the tail on the donkey" !!!!
    wouldnt mind that job myself !!

Expect a foregin name to take the job,...... getting brady, kelly, haughton etc would be to continue the line they took appointing staunton.
    It has got to be seen to be attempting something different.

What about Jol ? kinnear or the likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

just after checking the prices again for the new ireland manager and and saw agreat bet JACK CHARLTON @ 500/1 lump on:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

A Joe Kinnear /Chris Hughton partnership would do me , they both played for spurs and ireland ,Joe is irish and a players manager who had great sucess with Wimbeldon ,only worry is joe's old ticker ,and watching the recent national side would raise anybody blood prssure .Chris played his heart out for the national side and was doing ok alongside Brian Kerr .
    I could think of a worse combination .

Frank Stapleton made a very coherent argument for Roy Hodgson on TodayFM yesterday. Has managed successfully at international level, has also managed at a high club level (mentioned Inter Milan as well as Blackburn). Likely to want a return closer to home.
    A small badbrian wager has been made at the 59/1 currently available on Bet Fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

latchyco wrote: »
    A Joe Kinnear /Chris Hughton partnership would do me
    an elder statesman of the english game with health problems and a former Charlton-era international with no previous management experience - sound familiar? :eek:

Even assuming you're proposing Hughton as the coach part of that equation, I still don't think this will happen. I'm not going to get into why someone who's been out of the game for so long shouldn't be appointed because it's not the football forum... so for here, I'll just say that I wouldn't back this at any odds - I don't think it'd be good at all and even with the FAI involved, I would imagine it's highly unlikely
    Frank Stapleton made a very coherent argument
    And I don't believe that for a second :D

• Advertisement

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    an elder statesman of the english game with health problems and a former Charlton-era international with no previous management experience - sound familiar? :eek:
    The odds are on an outsider , its knowing which one so i can put a few bob on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

O-LAY O-LAY O-LAY O-LAY O' Leary that's my bet!!!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Ice87 wrote: »
    O-LAY O-LAY O-LAY O-LAY O' Leary that's my bet!!!:D

Acording the the FAI,he does not 'fit in'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I for one would not like O'Leary to get the job. I have a sneaky feeling he will though. Whoever gets it I would like to see Chris Hughton as part of the Irish setup. Even give him the U21 post as Don Givens should be be given the boot! (Pun intended)

Venables will get the job i think , he's being there before with England ,either him or Souness .....

Can't see how Souness would get the job. Success at Rangers in a 2 team league and Blackburn where he had some good youngsters. Otherwise desperate at Newcastle, Liverpool, Southampton, Benfica to name but a few.

True, and a ,lot of people were glad to Souness him go at Liverpool, but Staunton had no managerial expierence prior to ireland compared to Souness who has, i would like it to be an irishman ie, O Leary ,Stapelton , Brady .Pity the last two never got to paly in any finals as players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

If PaddyPower are anything to go by its gna be a 5 way tussle-O'Leary, Jol, Brady, Houllier and Souness with a few outsiders.
    Mourinhos odds halved from yesterday from 80-1 to 40-1!!! -just on a side!!

I rekon O'Leary could be decent, coz if u look at Leeds he got performances out of Kewell, Bowyer, Woodgate and Harte-none of whom have performed as well consistantly since his leadership despite their age suggesting they should have improved, and only SAF has got performances from Smith and Ferdinand since. and at Villa remember before he took the reigns they were fighting relegation under Taylor and in fairness O'Leary got them back up mid table.

Jol I feel would be the best option for us. His success at Spurs speaks for itself, should have made the champions league if it wasn't for food poisoning!(im not a bitter spurs fan by the way!). Also where there's a Martin Jol theirs a Chris Hughton who would have experience in the Irish set-up and is a top quality coach. i think his only flaw was a few of his signings which weren't even his fault as the Director of Football does most of the shopping there. He wants to remain where he lives-thats ok as he would be spending the majority of his time in England anyway. Wants to remain in football - i can't think of any club available in England that would be a bigger job than the Irish job. Also he isnt afraid of addressing a problem, and we all know there are many problems needing addressing!

Brady wasn't a good manager at Celtic or Brighton so I've no reason to beleive why he'd be good at international level 12 years after his last job!!!

Souness and Houllier I rekon could be seen as a safety net for the FAI because I doubt they would fail at the job but they wouldn't do much good either, they both get decent performances out of decent players, but i don't think they would do much in the way of progression or inspiration. Also I'd be wary of Souness falling out with a few players.

Jol I feel would be the best option for us. His success at Spurs speaks for itself, .

I don't disagree with this. 5th in consecutive seasons in the Premiership with Spurs was fantastic. The only thing is when it comes to the Ireland manager position I often wonder why names of managers that are sometimes suggested would mean them taking a huge pay cut if they took it. I have no idea what Stan was paid but let's guess it was €600k. Jol at Spurs again at a complete guess Stg 1.5m -£2.0m (€2.2m -€3.0m)

I know the workload is at International level is a fraction of what it would be at Club level but even imagining the FAI were to stump up €1m what good employable manager will accept a fraction of what they will be offered elsewhere doing a job they love??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I for one would give the job to Jol if he was intertested. Of all the contenders mentioned he would get my vote

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement